Stuffy Nose, Won't Eat, Very Thin And Weak

Do I really need to take him to the vet?

• Yes, they can help him.

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • No, there's stuff you can do for him at home.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CSSwifty07

Casper
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Neo is about 8 now and after talking with one of my friends who's been helping me he's not eating cause he can't smell his food. I don't know what caused his stuffy nose but I don't have the money to take him to the vet but my parents said they'll help me if I really need to take him and that's why I'm here. Neo's always been super skinny, he can eat SOOO much and still be super skinny but he's not really eating and I'm starting to see the bones of his back legs which is not normal for him. He's drinking and I've got him to drink tuna juice and he had a tiny bit of beef and broth baby food yesterday but he's not eating any of the baby foods today, I've tried heating them up and giving him the smelliest one but nothing. I need 2 things,

I need help on how to get my cat to eat,
And I need to know if I really need to take him to the vet or if there's something I can do for him myself. I'm gonna try steam showers tonight but we're having a heat wave and its so humid during the days it's too hot to do it and I don't know if it'll still help.

Please help me!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
The steam shower may help but you'll need to do several, I think it's something like 15 minutes every hour? I'm not sure about that.
Also try kitten glop. There are recipes on the internet. Try gently heated canned kitten food, deli chicken, try everything smelly you can think of.
But the bottom line is that yes, your cat really needs to be seen by a vet.
If this would help;
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

Financial Aid for Pets

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CSSwifty07

Casper
Adult Cat
Purraise
The steam shower may help but you'll need to do several, I think it's something like 15 minutes every hour? I'm not sure about that.
Also try kitten glop. There are recipes on the internet. Try gently heated canned kitten food, deli chicken, try everything smelly you can think of.
But the bottom line is that yes, your cat really needs to be seen by a vet.
If this would help;
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

Financial Aid for Pets
Thanks, My cat gets sick a lot and we've stopped giving him wet food all together because he just throws it up and I don't think he's strong enough to chew foods, that's why I've been giving him liquids and stuff, we tried giving him some chicken and he turned his nose up at it like he's been doing to everything I've tried giving him so far. But I made an appointment to take him to the vet, my dad said he'd help pay for it cause he's also really worried

CSSwifty07

Casper
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just got back from the vet... They said he was severely jaundice and to consider putting him down cause there's no way to say if he would or even could get better with treatments, that none of the reasons that could be causing his jaundice are at all good... They said treatments could be up to 2-3k... I don't know what to do right now, I don't want him to suffer, I don't have the money to try and help him but I can't lose him, especially not right now. He's all I have right now, the only one who can always make me smile, who can always cheer me up, who's always around when I need company... I have no one else but him... I don't know what to do, I can't stop crying...

CSSwifty07

Casper
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry!!
Is there any way to speak with another vet to get a second opinion?
I live in a little town, there's only 1 vet so I don't think so. I'm so lost rn I don't know what to do, he's been there for me and has helped me through everything the last 6 years has thrown at me. Every time I cried he came and comforted me, he helped me get through Mono when I came back from the hospitals, he's helped me get over so many loses and helped me find my smile again so many times, But now when he needs me I can't do anything but give up on him or make him suffer. I feel so helpless right now!:bawling::bawling:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
By the way, do the whites of his eyes, and his skin, appear yellow?
In the meantime before making that decision, can you get some milk thistle? It isn't treatment but it could help his liver a little.

CSSwifty07

Casper
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does he seem to be in pain?
Can you get some pain med if so?
The vet said he's just gonna get worse and worse so there's really nothing I can do for him since we don't even know what's wrong. Tests are gonna cost money and the treatments cost thousands of dollars and they might not even be able to do anything for him. I don't know if my parents even have that kind of money to spend on him but the fact that he might not even get better... I can't give up on him but if they won't pay to even do tests to find out whats wrong... I can't just let him suffer...:bawling::bawling::bawling:

CSSwifty07

Casper
Adult Cat
Purraise
By the way, do the whites of his eyes, and his skin, appear yellow?
In the meantime before making that decision, can you get some milk thistle? It isn't treatment but it could help his liver a little.
I don't know what milk thistle is and Idk how to check his eyes

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
You just look at his eyes, are the whites of his eyes white?
You can ask your dad to order milk thistle, probably the liquid since your baby's not eating. Oh, and also some goat milk. It would be good, it is better for cats than cow milk.
These are a way to try and help him to feel a little better, but not treatments unfortunately.
Also, if he's in pain, you don't want to wait, ask your dad to get some pain meds for him.

CSSwifty07

Casper
Adult Cat
Purraise
You just look at his eyes, are the whites of his eyes white?
You can ask your dad to order milk thistle, probably the liquid since your baby's not eating. Oh, and also some goat milk. It would be good, it is better for cats than cow milk.
These are a way to try and help him to feel a little better, but not treatments unfortunately.
Also, if he's in pain, you don't want to wait, ask your dad to get some pain meds for him.
We don't even know if its his liver...

CSSwifty07

Casper
Adult Cat
Purraise
In humans Ik that's true but I don't know about cats. She said that some of the causes for his jaundice couldn't be treated and that there's nothing we'd be able to do about it

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Ok, but in the meantime you don't know that it isn't either. My suggestions are to help him to possibly feel a little better, right now, especially if he's in pain.