Study Shows L-lysine Is Ineffective For Herpes Virus

kh2b1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was looking up information about L-Lysine and came across the following two articles:

Study Finds L-Lysine Does Not Decrease Symptoms of Feline Upper Respiratory Infections - The Conscious Cat

Bad News for a Popular Feline Herpesvirus Treatment | petMD

Basically, they indicate that L-Lysine has no affect on the felines herpes virus and could make it worse. It also indicates that L-Lysine lowers arginine levels, which is bad. It recommends to stop giving your cat L-Lysine supplements.

I've been wondering about L-Lysine. I've never seen where it's actually helped any of my cats that have been suffering from the herpes virus since they were kittens. This past week I doubled Shorty's dosage and it hasn't done anything. I think I might stop it completely now.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, the top study has been posted here before, but still, many members see a big difference when their herpes cats are are L-Lysine. Have you tried Lactoferrin? Many others see a difference with that, sometimes in combination with the L-Lysine. Here's a thread that discusses both: 4 Year Old Female Recently Diagnosed with Herpes- A Few Questions

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
L-lysine is one of those things that some people swear by and others have no use for. If your having constant herpes outbreaks then it may be worth it to talk to your vet about starting an antiviral medication.

Sunyday

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has feline herpes. He was and abandoned cat. The vet told me that he needed an antibiotic shot every one or two months and after that maybe steroids if the antibiotic would not work to control the symptoms.

After research and pray (I also found those articles you are talking about, where L-lysine is not recomended). I started giving him 500 mg per day, and a container of the vetri science inmune support, till finish. I started on december 2015 and by march 2016 he got better and by may 2016 was symptom free (No sneezing, no teary eyes, no coughing, no discharges) . Now he is still in L-lysine and maybe all this life, but is just a vitamin kind that boosts his immune system.