Studies Reveal Cats Rival Dogs In Intelligence.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My little Theo is just coming up on a year old now but, he has learned my habits and he is getting more lovable as he gets to know me. He does know certain words or maybe the way I say them. He LOVES to be talked to and he even talks to me. He is a fluff ball and I tell him how beautiful he is. I swear he knows I am praising him. Of course it helps that I am here most of the time with him so he is not quite so independent. He will lay in his fav spots thru the day but, he always comes to say hi to me and interact off and on during the day. He is my little buddy and has settled in very nicely. He will be 1 year old on the 28th of June.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My little Theo is just coming up on a year old now but, he has learned my habits and he is getting more lovable as he gets to know me. He does know certain words or maybe the way I say them. He LOVES to be talked to and he even talks to me. He is a fluff ball and I tell him how beautiful he is. I swear he knows I am praising him. Of course it helps that I am here most of the time with him so he is not quite so independent. He will lay in his fav spots thru the day but, he always comes to say hi to me and interact off and on during the day. He is my little buddy and has settled in very nicely. He will be 1 year old on the 28th of June.
I was around 99% of the time when Baby Girl came home and that's how she is, too. When I say her name, she peeps at me and comes a running. If she's bored and wants my attention and I shoo her away, she runs off, and brings me a toy because she knows I can't resist that. She's my little kid, and my shadow.
Now, speaking of shadow, where is that ornery little thing, it's a little too quiet which means she's up to something :flail:

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
1. Does your cat know their name?
yes, although i call her nicknames, so I think she believes her name is "kitty"
2. Is your cat tuned into your emotions?
She's attuned, but not in an "I feel sad... Oh hi kitty weklcome to my lap" kind of way. She does generally try and act in ways she believes will please my wife and me (some of which are based on some really weird assumptions on her part)
3. How independent is your cat?
Somewhere between a newborn baby and a neurotic dog.
4. Does your cat prefer you? Or food?
me, mostly, though she will usually continue eating if it is a food she likes and I leave the room (i've worked hard to encourage that in her)

interestingly, my cat passed a modified version of the self awareness test. Since cat's vision ( especially color vision) isn't stellar, a colored spot on her head in a mirror doesn't generate a response. but...

I moved my finger towards my cat's image in the mirror, and she responded to that, but ignored the finger when it was not near her image, indicating that she seemed to understand that the cat in the mirror was her, but to get her to react I needed visual simulation that actually registered to a cat.

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not actually sure if Amelia knows her name. She might know her nickname, Millie, but I use so many other nicknames besides that I wouldn't blame her for being confused. She does, however, have a rather specific servant-summoning meow that she uses on me, so arguably she has a name for me and I do respond to it.

As far as being tuned into my emotions goes... I'm not sure on that either! She likes to participate in whatever I'm doing, and she can always tell if I'm trying to trick her.

She's fairly independent, yet also demanding. When she wants attention, she's not shy about demanding it, and she'll make a big show of playing and having the zoomies by herself to try and manipulate me into joining in, but she's also fine with having alone time and she'll nap or birdwatch when I'm not around. I don't have to constantly give her attention, but when she wants it she's pretty insufferable!

Millie actually prefers me to food. Even when I feed her as soon as I get home, she almost never eats right away. Instead, she'll follow me around, pester me in the bathroom, and keep meowing and tripping me until I've acknowledged her properly.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, im at work and greg and arnold are still in bed.

That makes them smarter than I am.

And I am fairly certain I am smarter than my brothers labs.

The REAL question is......... are dog or cat owners smarter?

Recent research says it cat owners.

However, how much credibility can be given to a researcher who thinks a cat can be "owned"?

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
1. Does your cat know their name?
Yes. He always looks at me when I say "Count". And if I follow that with "...come!", he runs to where I am, expecting a treat.

2. Is your cat tuned into your emotions?
Kinda. He understands if I am mad at him, or if I don't want to be disturbed.

3. How independent is your cat?
I'm sure he can survive on his own, considering his energy level and hunting skills, but at home he always keeps me in sight, climbs on my lap while purring every half hour or so, and meows if I close a door on him. So no, he is not independent.

4. Does your cat prefer you? Or food?
Me. Based on how attached he is to me, I highly doubt that he would choose food over me. The fact that he doesn't eat much when I'm sleeping supports this, because his food bowl is in a different room, and he doesn't want to leave me to eat.

ThePortMan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
1. Yes, though he likely thinks he has two names, his name (Porter) and simply "the cat" or simply "cat". He knows that the word "cat" also refers to him. Back when he used to go outside, when you'd call him, he would come up the driveway meowing and meowing on the way up sometimes.

In fact, while he doesn't talk (obviously) he does seem to get the concept of responding in a sort of conversational way. For instance, if I look at him and say something, he'll often answer with "meow". And you can have a sort of back and forth dialogue with him in a sense.

2. I would say that he's somewhat in tune with people's emotions.

3. He's fairly independent, much more so than my dogs of course.

4. On this, I would say that he is extremely attached to me. He literally follows me everywhere around the house, like a puppy. It's amazing honestly