Stud service

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, whew, where do I begin? Ok, last show I was greeted by a very nice woman who has an unaltered female sphynx that she purchased breeding rights for in Holland where she was living. She was granted the breeding rights because she was coming back to Canada and the breeder thought it was a great idea to bring her line into what's currently here. She and I talked at great length about what she wanted. She wants to hire me to let my boy breed with her girl. Her cat is absolutely gorgeous BTW.

I don't know what is normal in this situation. Do you ask for a payment, or a kitten or???? I have no idea. She has written to me since we've returned home, she had given me a picture of her cat as well to take home with me. I know she is serious, she seems like she would be great in the breeding arena, knows alot about what she wants to do and has made up her mind. I just don't know what I'm supposed to do as far as payment.

Any comments, suggestions? She has already briefed me on the testing of her cat she's had done, etc.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With dogs, the "usual" stud fee is pick of the litter, or, if the stud's owner doesn't want a puppy, the price of the puppy. But of course anything that's agreeable to both parties is fine.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everyone I know runs a closed cattery, unless you are very good friends.

Stud fees are around the price of a desexed kitten, or pick of the litter and a contract is a must.

My girls will go back to their breeder who has multiple studs, we have a contract for things like remating if the pregnancy doesn't take, number of live kittens. All kittens must be sold desexed unless to a registered breeder.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The prices you guys have mentioned is what I thought. I just wanted to hear others' experiences about the practice. Now, I am unsure if this is going to happen yet or not, my boy hasn't quiiiiite figured it out 100% yet. I don't know if I'd want a kitten though, as the father of my kittens and hers will be the same. I do not wish to line breed in any way.

Also, this lady's cat is already 5 years old and has not yet been bred. I worry for complications and the issue of pyometra (if it could still be an issue). While this is not my cat, I would feel horrible if the queen had a rough time with the pregnancy and birth. I will discuss things more with the other party before making a final decision.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooh, that would really worry me. Mine all have to be retired by 5 years old, not just starting out.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
5 years old and never been bred. That could be a problem.

We didn't offer much stud service, but the few times we did, it was $1,000 for the service.
Contractual guarantee of pregnancy but no guarantee on number of kittens born.
I don't like kitten back deals. It leaves the door wide open for someone to feel like they got the short end of the stick.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The age factor bothers me too - it would be different if the female had at least one or two litters. She may or may not take at her age. Under the circumstances, I think I'd take a stud fee rather then a kitten in case she only would have one or two.

You would have to have a written contract spelled out what was expected and agreed to by both of you. And have the female (and your cat too) tested for genetic problems and a clean bill of health.

My question would be WHY was she considering buying a 5 yr old cat who never had a litter in the first place?

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
GK, she's had the cat since kittenhood, but took longer to finish her schooling in Holland than she thought. She didn't want to breed there because the breeder said not until she was back in Canada. So now, she's back, wants to breed her girl but I think 5 is getting up there in age. I did try to talk to her about that, and she understands that if it is going to happen it has to happen soon.

Like I said, there is alot left to work out if I do breed Monty to her cat, but I think she'd be better off with a new kitten if she wanted to breed successfully in the future.

I really do appreciate all of your input. You guys are the best!!!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by skewch

Also, this lady's cat is already 5 years old and has not yet been bred. I worry for complications and the issue of pyometra (if it could still be an issue). While this is not my cat, I would feel horrible if the queen had a rough time with the pregnancy and birth. I will discuss things more with the other party before making a final decision.
This would definitely worry me. I wouldn't even consider starting a queen off at this stage. Also if there are problems - your boy could get the blame (even if they are unwarranted).

In my breed (and in my country) it's rare to have open catteries. We have a closed cattery but my queen is at stud at the moment. I would definitely ask for cash up front (if it was me) and don't sign the registration papers until you know the situation with the kittens. It's easy to be trusting in the cat fancy, but with my experience (17 years now - but probably didn't really understand much until I was 5) don't be too trusting.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

GK, she's had the cat since kittenhood, but took longer to finish her schooling in Holland than she thought. She didn't want to breed there because the breeder said not until she was back in Canada. So now, she's back, wants to breed her girl but I think 5 is getting up there in age. I did try to talk to her about that, and she understands that if it is going to happen it has to happen soon.

Like I said, there is alot left to work out if I do breed Monty to her cat, but I think she'd be better off with a new kitten if she wanted to breed successfully in the future.

I really do appreciate all of your input. You guys are the best!!!
How old is Monty now? It may be a little while before he starts to work anyway?

ETA: Even if the cat is unaltered I would still get it tested - and has it had the required sphynx medical tests? (if any)

Also - even though she has breeding rights, is she a registered breeder?

Sorry if I overlooked any of these points. I just skim read.

ETFA: I saw she's had the tests done - have you seen proof? It seems overly cautious but IMO nothing is when your boy is involved.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wellington, all points you touched on are well taken. I love to hear from experienced breeders regarding these types of issues. Being new to the breeding life, I want to ensure I've made well-informed decisions. I am doubtful that her girl would respond well to being at my house for a couple weeks and then to try to breed her. I am hesitant to do it, only because Monty is a baby himself, just turning 10 months. He knows what to do, but needs to perfect the penetration LOL. I want him to procreate here with MY girls. I am not concerned with anyone elses. Like I said before, I think she'd be better off with another kitten to start with.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Wellington, all points you touched on are well taken. I love to hear from experienced breeders regarding these types of issues. Being new to the breeding life, I want to ensure I've made well-informed decisions. I am doubtful that her girl would respond well to being at my house for a couple weeks and then to try to breed her. I am hesitant to do it, only because Monty is a baby himself, just turning 10 months. He knows what to do, but needs to perfect the penetration LOL. I want him to procreate here with MY girls. I am not concerned with anyone elses. Like I said before, I think she'd be better off with another kitten to start with.
I agree with your last comment!

Hey I also think the owner of a cat should always be the one to have the first babies. This is for two reasons 1) incase he didn't breed again (highly unlikely) or 2) incase something is wrong. We also very rarely put two maiden cats together - infact my Nana has two together at the moment and nothing is happening.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Monty is trying so hard LOL. Molly has been in heat now for a bit, he's been trying, but he still needs to figure out the most important part. I think it's only a matter of time before he figures it out correctly. Of course, I'm not in any rush and it will happen. He is much more interested than my Devon male was, and he seems a little more with it too.

The babies will come. 10 months is still pretty young from what alot of breeders say. All I want is my kitties to be happy and healthy. Since there are no other breeders even remotely close to me, they're gonna have to figure it out for themselves. I do not want to breed with anyone else's as I think my breeders are going to be great!! 2 out of 3 are now Champions and I'm hoping that they will continue to do well at shows. Molly isn't a champ yet because of the hair on her tail and paws. The one judge said she has the type of hair that will fall out. I wonder if she meant it will fall out when she becomes pregnant.

moonandstarkatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Studding is such a risky situation. You take the chance of everything of ringworm (not saying her cat has any of this or the following), infections without symptoms and exposure to an entirely new germ set not to mention stress whether the female comes to you or vice versa. My thoughts on studding are: if you have an experienced male, shown and titled, health tested and proven and preferably his kittens proven, then when you don't need him for a time, you can take him to stud but only to queens who are titled and tested. He will need quarantined for a minimum of 30 preferably 45 days to protect your other cats. If you have kittens at home, I wouldn't consider it.

My boy was brought from Siberia, stayed with me for a year, and bred my girls in a closed cattery situation. His co owner got him, quarantined him for 45 days and then bred him and he will stay there for a while. Thats the easiest method for us but its closed stud while breeding either one of our girls.

In your situation, I would ask if she could get a sibling to her 5 year old girl if thats a truly new line and import her. By then your male will have been proven, she could show her new girl on the American show system and you would have time to discuss details.
Daisy

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks Daisy for your input, it's much appreciated. I think I have made up my mind not to stud him out to anyone. I like the way things are here at home. All my cats are healthy and I don't want to bring in any germs that my cats haven't been exposed to and then have those issues around if one of my females does have kittens around the same time.

I am only interested in my cattery and my breeders. I do know of people who have tonnes of breeders in and out of their homes, but I am happy with how I'm starting out. Gonna try to keep things as simple as I can.