Stubborn Hairballs

taxcatkim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not used to having kitties with stubborn hairball problems, but we're having a time with this one. Simon has been hacking up a pretty good one about once a month. Lately, he's been stretching that neck out and hacking but no hairball. I've been dosing him 1/2 tsp twice a day for about 4 days now - still no hairball. Because of his history with hairballs and the neck stretching, I'm pretty sure one's in there. He's pooping ok, so I know he's not blocked. My question is....do hairballs ever just disintegrate after being in the tummy or do they just build and grow? I've been brushing the cats a lot more than normal lately to try and fix the problem, but in the meantime....

I made an appointment with our vet to have them take a look down his throat to see if they find anything. I had called my vet a couple of days ago and they recommended the extra Laxatone. Since that's not helping, we're going to the next step.

Anyone else been through some stubborn hairball problems? What do you do?

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In extreme cases, I have used a half teaspoon of veggie oil. It has worked when it was a hairball causing the problem. I have a few long haired cats, and started to put omega 3 fatty acids in thier food a few times a week. Since then, I havn't had any problems with hairballs. I am glad you are taking him to the vet just incase. It's always a good idea to have them checked out when something out of the ordinary happens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taxcatkim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We went to the vet and would you believe they think he has kitty asthma. They did some blood work and an x-ray. She said the hacking occasionally is acceptable for hairballs but not this much. They sent off some blood to check for heartworms, too, although I doubt that's the case. Can't believe I thought he had hairballs! I'm glad I took him in. I guess my worrying pays off.

Thanks for your message.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like you have an awsome vet! I am glad you took him in and they decided to do some tests. Most vets chalk it up to hairballs, and send you on your way. This way, you will know for sure what's going on. When they get the results in, please give us an update.

jenng

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
taxcatkim - Think your vet can swing by PA? It's about time for Spike's yearly check-up, and your vet sounds so much better than mine! I'm glad they're looking further into Simon's problem. Hopefully they'll find the problem and be able to treat it easily.

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
WOW!--Sounds like you have a GREAT vet!!! Just a question, about Omega 3 (poster--Sandy) How do you give your cats the Omega 3? Do you break open a capsule of the oil, from (human's) vitamins? If so, what is the dose you use??? I would really like to start this with my cats, and think it sounds like a great idea! Thanks!

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I happen to use a liquid made for pets. It's called 3v caps liquid by DVM. Usually the products made for pets specify how much to give them. You can get them in capsules, which would mean popping them open and giving it to them or putting it on the food. The liquid I use, calls for 1/2 pump per cat. I use it for all the cats, so I usually put about 3ml per bowl twice a week. It's much easier than chasing all 18 of them down