Stubborn conjunctivitis

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are going into week 5 of my poor cats herpes virus related conjunctivitis. So far we have tried a convenia antibiotic shot, Cerenia anti-inflammatory pills, Isathal drops to combat possible secondary bacterial infection. Then we tried doxycycline, we are on the second round of that, Tobramycin and Optixcare drops, plus Gabapentin for pain. He is also getting fortiflora prebiotic/probiotic on his food every day. He is being kept separate from my other cat and is wearing an e-collar 24/7 so he can’t reach the eye. He has had two dye tests done to make sure there is no ulceration and there wasn’t. This morning it was worse than ever. I know all the things we’ve tried so far are more for bacterial issues and I don’t know why she hasn’t suggested any antivirals. I received DMG yesterday in the mail and began it this morning so I don’t know yet if it will help. I feel so bad for my cat, he’s a trooper but he’s so tired of meds and constant stingy eye drops. What can I do??

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Know that when you have a herpes kitty, recovery takes longer because their immune system is compromised. It's frustrating, but it's the way it is. Are you giving him Lysine, 500mg twice a day? Fortiflora is not an effective probiotic, it's really more a flavor enhancer. Try Proviable DC or the Healthy Gut from Adored Beast. You could also try soothing the eye with chamomile tea. Brew a cup of plain chamomile tea and let it steep. Allow to cool, then put some on a cotton cloth or cotton ball and dab around the eye. Store the leftover tea in the fridge.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried Lysine for the first two weeks with no result 😞 The vet told me to clean his eye with distilled water, I’ve been doing that every morning. I’ve read that chamomile works for human eye problems but shouldn’t be used with cats as some of its properties are toxic?

Last edited:

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi melissa melissa .

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time getting this under control.

I know you said you used Lysine without any result. To be effective, a high-dose of pure Lysine has to be used, and some Lysine products (like the treats) just don't measure up. I've used Now brand L-lysine powder and at other times, Lysine capsules (opening them and mixing the powder with a teaspoonful or two of irresistible food.) A very small amount of a favourite food ensures that the entire dose will be consumed. Again, you must start with a very high dose.

Here's a post I recently made to someone else:
"When you go to treat a herpes outbreak, you need to use a high dose of it, and after it has quelled, a lesser dose for a period of a week or so.​
The starting dose is (at least) 500mg twice daily (every 12 hours).It's important to adhere to the 12-hour mark in order to keep the lysine level in the blood as equal as possible during treatment. Once the flare has stopped, continue that regimen at a reduced dosage of 250mg (twice daily) for a week to ten days. Some people will use Lysine daily/every few days as a preventative at half that dosage (on an ongoing basis)."​
I usually noticed a marked decrease in symptoms around 24 hours after starting with that regimen.

You wondered why your Vet hasn't suggested any antivirals. Did you know that L-lysine acts as an antiviral like this? It prevents the herpesvirus from replicating any further, and so the flare subsides within a few days of its introduction.

Let us know how things go.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’ve read that chamomile works for human eye problems but shouldn’t be used with cats as some of its properties are toxic?
This will clarify
Buy plain, unblended chamomile tea bags from the grocery store. You want the commercial tea because it is the German variety. The English variety, which grows in most gardens, is useless medicinally, and can be toxic to cats.