Struggling With Kitten Introductions

mrbk0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all, I recently adopted a 3.5 month old spayed female kitten named Minnie to be a companion for my 4 month old neutered male kitten, Curtis, who has turned out to be so high energy that even 3-4 30min bouts of play with the wand toys aren’t enough to keep him from pouncing on faces and biting exposed limbs all night.

I felt like we have done everything “by the book” with introductions. Minnie has been in our bathroom for the past 1.5 weeks, we’ve done scent swapping, feeding on opposite sides of the bathroom doors, let one be in the carrier while the other smells/sees them and vice versa, etc. But her presence is driving Curtis crazy. He’ll sit by the bathroom door and trill and meow, and when she’s the one in the carrier he will “hunt” her.

We began face-to-face introductions the past couple of days, doing 2x daily 20 min play sessions with their favorite wand toys. Minnie initially didn’t care about Curtis, and still doesn’t initiate any interaction, but he’s much more forward. Even though she doesn’t resist when he mounts her or pins her down, he refuses to let her go. If she does go free, he’ll chase her all over the living room. Now, she hisses if he gets too close and hides under the coffee table to get away from him. I am usually able to distract them with the wand toy.

Is this just something that will sort itself out with more time, or should I change the way I’m approaching introductions with them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrbk0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think he just desperately wants to play with her. Let the two be together, let the hissing get out of her system and the playing will start. It may not be quiet, there may be more hissing, slapping and noise but it will be all play and no one will be hurt.
Thank you for the advice. This is what we were thinking too, but neither me or my girlfriend have ever owned cats so we didn’t want to be misinterpreting anything and letting him hurt her (he’s about twice her size). But so far nobody has used any claws or teeth, so I’ll try letting them just do their thing without intervening unless necessary.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try not to intervene unless the noise (it will get very loud) is getting to you, and then distract them with a wand or laser toy. Even if she is smaller, she is capable of defending herself if she gets annoyed enough and that is the way the two will establish boundaries for their play. She is a novelty to him right now so he is probably obsessed but within days I am sure, it will also be her chasing him.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: And congrats on being new cat parents! :bouquet:

If there's no fur flying, blood, or one cat seeming scared, and if both are eating, sleeping and using the litter box normally, things are probably ok.

Although there's some hissing, it still sounds mostly like play. Here's a TCS article Are My Cats Fighting Or Playing? | TheCatSite that has pics and videos of things to watch for to tell the difference between playing and fighting.

Also, since you're new to cats, here's a few general articles:
First-time Cat Owner's Guide | TheCatSite
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips | TheCatSite
Why Do Cats...? The Ultimate Guide To Feline Behavior | TheCatSite

Also How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide | TheCatSite thought I think you're doing ok with your two.

Do you have pics of the kittens you can share?
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post | TheCatSite