Struggling With Cats Fighting

Tryhardcatmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got my new 2nd cat about 2 months ago now. Both cats are fixed so that’s not an issue. 1st cat is senior female (had her 2 yrs+) and my new cat is 5 yr old male. Our old cat died that my senior was bonded to, they also struggled getting along for months and he would attack her.

My new cat is bigger and stronger than her a bit more so than older cat who died. My new cat has attacked senior cat about 5-6 times and gave her an abscess on her back. She’s healed now.

We’ve tried everything but Prozac for him and we will feeding on opposite sides of door again even though it’s a big hassle. My bf doesn’t want to spend more money on cat furniture since we don’t know if our new cat will work out (we’ved already spent $500 on cat not including food). We refuse to pay 200-400$ for a cat behaviorist since it’s borderline a scam imo. Our senior doesn’t like cat furniture much at all so anything we got she wouldn’t use.

We’ve been keeping a harness on him most of the day as he acts crazy. He meows a lot, begs for food excessively, goes to the door in the room our senior is kept because she’s safe/feels safe in there.

Last time he bit her twice, had her by the neck. I think he wanted to kill her. I get depressed over this situation ever since I brought this new cat home. He is a “psycho” kitty. He is very sweet to humans, never hurt us. He’s very smart and learn to sit for treats. So he’s not the worst cat but he’s brought strife by trying to hurt my other cat.

Is there any advice outside of the obvious (rehoming or taking back to shelter) or something on Cat From Hell?

We are trying to get Prozac for him but there is an issue with ordering the meds. I feel attached to this cat. He was returned 2 times to shelter before we got him (red flag I know).

My senior hisses at him, he’s silent but will eventually stalk then attack her. Nothing seems to be improving without his harness on him to calm him. He still attacked her last time wearing his harness so it’s not safe. I feel like crap about this situation. I just wanted to get another cat and give a pet a home but now my other cat lives in our bedroom most of her days. She refused to leave the room even after he’s put up cuz it smells of him.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it is easier to suggest new things if you tell us what you tried and how it worked out, or didn't. Also, what the heck happened in the prior failed adoptions? The shelter should have *some* details.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry though for the issue that's brought you here.

From reading your post, it does sound like the new cat has some major behavourial issues. Having to keep him in a harness all the time, is not normal. :(

As A ArtNJ mentioned, maybe the shelter can give you some info about why the other adoptions failed. It's possible he was injured at some time in his past, which is causing this behaviour. Or perhaps he was a former feral. Or he just really doesn't like other cats. :sigh:

Him attacking your resident cat and causing an abscess is serious, and I'm not sure if our usual suggestions for re-introductions apply here.

Hopefully the Prozac, when you get it, will make a difference.

Here are the links to some TCS articles on various topics that might be helpful.

Why Do Cats Attack?

Is Your Cat Stressed Out? | TheCatSite
You, Your Cat And Stress | TheCatSite
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist | TheCatSite

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction | TheCatSite
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats | TheCatSite