Stressed trying to take care of cat after getting spayed

Larryrelate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Ginger just turned 1 years old, and we finally got her spayed! The only problem is that since bringing her home, we can’t seem to keep her calm. She’s acting perfectly normal, peeing fine, which is great but she keeps trying to run around and jump/climb on stuff like she usually does, and I was told to limit her activity for at least 7-10 days so that she can properly heal and not rip her stitches or anything. She’s also wearing a cone which makes this problem a lot harder because she keeps running into walls and falling when she tries to jump onto stuff when I’m not right there to stop her from doing it in the first place. I’m just extremely stressed out because it’s only been one day and I feel like I’m already failing at taking care of her. I’m really worried that because I can’t limit her activity she’s going to end up getting an infection or opening her wound. The only solution I’ve got so far is that I’ve ordered a recovery suit that should arrive later today so that I can take this cone off because it’s driving the both of us crazy, and she can’t seem to function alone with it on. Does anyone have any advice or stories about their similar situation? I’m essentially asking if anyone else had a cat who wouldn’t stay calm after getting spayed/neutered but still healed fine.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Most of them won't stay calm. I read that one owner fixed up a bedroom by removing some things and gathering a lot of pillows etc to ease the transition up and down from floor to bed et al.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of mine was hyper after being spayed and she was fine. Can you borrow a large dog crate to keep her in to restricted her movements for a few days or as mentioned above, keep her in a small room where there's nothing to jump up on. Hopefully when she has the body suit instead of the cone, she will calm down.

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I too was told they have to be kept calm, contained in one room. We put Penny in our mud room to recover. She was absolutely crazy in there. I have no idea how she did it but she climbed up into the rafters of the house, we couldn’t get her down, it’s like she was doing acrobatics for two hours. Finally she came down and at that point I let her out to have the run of the house, no cone or anything. I was so scared she would have complications after her ordeal, but she healed up just fine. I decided never again would I confine a cat after spay or neuter. When we got our kittens fixed, I just let them out of their carriers to go about their day, business as usual. And they healed up perfectly fine.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When my cats got spayed at 6 months old, they wore a cone too. Their cones had to be tied with a ribbon because it was so big. Yes they knocked over things, walked into walls, tried to jump on the counter/table/washing machine with the cone on until I was curious didn't they feel any pain after just getting their insides removed? But relax, they will get used to the cone although they always try to be overdramatic with it. I let them wear it for 10 days straight. They figured out how to eat, drink and use the litter box within the same day. It was the only way for them not to pick at her stitches. Meffy pulled 3 stitches the moment I removed the cone so I put it back on, ignoring her dramatic cries.

Give them lots of cuddles and treats. Using a crate is a good idea too but it has to be big enough to fit a litter box, food and some space for her to hang out.