Stress

trishc59

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 16 years old girl Patina needs fluids everyday due to her kidneys, she is a good patient although she hates it she whimpers every time, I have started using a thinner needle hoping that would relieve some of her anxiety. Lately I have noticed missing fur on the under side of her neck, it's a decent size patch of bare skin, the vet gave me some ointment but if it's due to stress not sure it's going to help. I feel so bad I am giving her fluids to help her I I only wish I knew what I can do to lessen her anxiety. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you all in advance

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a calming diffuser? Or maybe a product called Zylkene, which is a natural medication for stress relief. Sometimes wrapping them in a towel, or covering their head, can make them feel calmer while you inject, and plenty of treats afterwards.

You are doing your best for her, don't be too hard on yourself.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sometimes our stress can be felt by our kitties and that can make them anxious. The ointment may help sooth the area. Make sure you're in a good headspace when you go to give her the fluids, as that may help as well. Be kind to yourself you're doing the best you can for her some stress to help her is worth it.

But if it continues to be a problem, talk to a vet about solutions. As since she has kidney issues the lost fur may be due to a health issue as well.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
This article may have some suggestions although I know a lot of it doesn’t apply to your situation. Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

A couple of questions:

What gauge needle are you using? While a smaller gauge needle may be easier to slip in, it will take longer to administer the fluids. You may not gain much by using a smaller needle if she has to hold still a lot longer.

Are you warming the fluids? I always put the bag into warm water for awhile so I wasn’t running cold liquid into my boy.

What kind of fluids are you using? Max was getting lactated ringers and it didn’t seem to bother him, but someone told me—it might have been my vet—that Normosol stings a bit. I don’t know if that’s so, but just a thought.

Max hated getting fluids, but I got very good at doing it quickly so over time, his stress lessened. I hope Patina gets more used to it.:alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trishc59

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sometimes our stress can be felt by our kitties and that can make them anxious. The ointment may help sooth the area. Make sure you're in a good headspace when you go to give her the fluids, as that may help as well. Be kind to yourself you're doing the best you can for her some stress to help her is worth it.

But if it continues to be a problem, talk to a vet about solutions. As since she has kidney issues the lost fur may be due to a health issue as well.
Thank you so much

trishc59

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This article may have some suggestions although I know a lot of it doesn’t apply to your situation. Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

A couple of questions:

What gauge needle are you using? While a smaller gauge needle may be easier to slip in, it will take longer to administer the fluids. You may not gain much by using a smaller needle if she has to hold still a lot longer.

Are you warming the fluids? I always put the bag into warm water for awhile so I wasn’t running cold liquid into my boy.

What kind of fluids are you using? Max was getting lactated ringers and it didn’t seem to bother him, but someone told me—it might have been my vet—that Normosol stings a bit. I don’t know if that’s so, but just a thought.

Max hated getting fluids, but I got very good at doing it quickly so over time, his stress lessened. I hope Patina gets more used to it.:alright:
Yes the thinner needle takes longer I just hated the other needles made me feel like I was harpooning her. I will try warming up the bag of fluid also. I really appreciate your words, thank you.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes the thinner needle takes longer I just hated the other needles made me feel like I was harpooning her.
I did exactly what you’re doing and for the same reason. But the vet and others with diabetic cats persuaded me that the discomfort from the larger gauge needle was more mine than Max’s! It really did go more smoothly when I switched. :)

trishc59

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a calming diffuser? Or maybe a product called Zylkene, which is a natural medication for stress relief. Sometimes wrapping them in a towel, or covering their head, can make them feel calmer while you inject, and plenty of treats afterwards.

You are doing your best for her, don't be too hard on yourself.
Thank, I am trying all I can for her I appreciate your reply I will be looking into some of the calming products.

trishc59

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Thank you so much