Stress urination

dcarroll633

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have 3 cats, two that are approximately 2 years old and a 14 year old. We moved into a new house last March. Shortly after we moved into the new house the older cat began urinating on area rugs. We added an additional litter box and the problem went away. In November we went on vacation for 10 days, we had a cousin stay at our house and care for the animals. While we were gone "someone" started urinating on the area rug in our dining room. The cousin watching the house didn't know to check the carpet so I ended up with some badly stained hardwood floor ( I was able to remove about 75% of the stain, but that's another post). The only reason we can think of that he suddenly started urinating outside the box again is separation anxiety/stress of a new human. We have another vacation coming up and I would like to be able to prevent the inappropriate urinating if possible. Any suggestions?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How about trying some different calming products to see if any of them would help? Not all work on all cats, so you have time before your next trip to test some of them and hopefully find one that helps your older guy. Just do a search on the internet for 'cat calming products' so you can see what your options are.

Also, whoever will be taking care of him should visit multiple times before you go - just so he gets used to them while you are still around. Start out with them coming over while you are home, and after a few visits go out for brief periods of time leaving your sitter with him during those times. Is the sitter staying overnight with your cats? Once your older guy gets more used to them being around, having someone with him at night would probably help out as well.

And, of course I have to go down the health path - given his age. Does he get regular senior check ups, including full blood panels? While it is not necessarily likely there is a health problem brewing, given that his behavior comes and goes with stress, it is always a good idea to have him thoroughly checked out anyway. It is possible that there is a small underlying health issue attributing to his behavior change when he gets stressed.

Edit: you could also buy some puppy pee pads for when you are gone next time, just as a back-up plan and have them placed in the areas he is most inclined to go when outside the litter box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dcarroll633

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes she sleeps at the house while we are gone, same cousin will be watching this time. I admit he is overdue for a check-up. The only issue I have with a calming product is, he isn't stressed when we are on our normal schedules, how do I know if it's working? He has had crystals in the past but this is definitely not that. He is urinating normally. He is also on meds for hyperthyroidism, but again he seems to be doing well with the medication and his weight is stable. He eats/drinks very well, gets his snuggle time daily. He even occasionally rough houses with his brothers.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only issue I have with a calming product is, he isn't stressed when we are on our normal schedules, how do I know if it's working?
Is it possible that your cousin can cat-sit for a couple of hours at a time - would that be enough time to see if he reacts well to one of the calming products? Feliway seems to work for many members, so you could start there. Another one I have heard many people have tried is Bach Rescue Remedy drops, which you rub into a cat's ear to help calm them.

dcarroll633

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will ask her to visit before we go, and I will try to get some feliway. Hopefully since they have met her before it won't be as stressful this time.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Leaving worn, unwashed clothing of yours around his hang out areas might also help, but again, you won't know for sure until you've been able to test it. Calming music sometimes help a stressed cat - assuming he pays attention to those sorts of things. Play time with the cousin could also add to relieving stress.

Get the puppy pee pads as a back up to help with the cleaning aspect at least. And, you could also consider as a last resort a small dose of Gabapentin which is also used by many to help calm their cats before a vet visit.

Hope other members come up with some other ideas for you!!

dcarroll633

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Music won't help him, I forgot to mention, about a year ago he went deaf,

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Most definitely gethim into the vet for his check before your vacation. He needs to have his thyroid levels rechecked to make sure the medication is keeping it in check and he needs the blood panel to make sure he doesn’t have something else brewing like diabetes. It could also be something like arthritis that makes it more difficult for him to get in and out of a litterbox.