Stress To The Moon

Clearcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, I was supposed to be at an interview in another state as of tonight. BUT, I wsn’t prepared to leave my cat. So, I got the interview moved and it has given me time to get some help. A friend is coming over and I’m going to “train” her on how to feed my cat wet food. Adding water, portion, and replacing water and putting it back EXACTLY where it should be. NO litter duty though. I put out extra disposable litter boxes when I travel.

Anyway, this way my cat gets at least 2 meals of wet food in addition to the kibble that I’ll leave out. It makes me feel a bit better but of course I’m still worried sick leaving her alone.

I have to leave at 2 pm on Sunday and won’t be back until 10 pm on Monday night. She’ll get wet food Sunday night around 7 pm and at 10 am on Monday morning. And the kibble will be out from 2 pm until I return at 10 pm on Monday night.

Right now, I’m testing the schedule, partially, by putting out kibble and seeing how it impacts her desire for wet food. I’ll pull the kibble up Friday night at 10 pm.

God, I got issues. I know. But I wouldn’t handle it if she got severely sick just because I went on an interview. Although me getting a job is crucial for her overall health. What’s this called... a double edged sword.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you thought it through, and were able to arrange for both the interview and the kitty to be taken care of. I wouldn't call that an issue, I would call that Adulting.

Plus, now you will be able to concentrate better at the interview and not be so worried. What has helped us in the past is have your friend take a photo of your kitty, so you have immediate and visible confirmation that everything is fine. Nothing compares to seeing the little furball's face and feeling confident they are in good hands. And good luck on the interview!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Clearcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had to email my landlords and give them a time frame so they know when a strange car is on their property. Also, so they won’t let their dog out to scare the crap out of my friend. Who wants confirmation the dog won’t attack if it is out by accident. So, I have to send a second email to my landlords to please not have the dog out.

I think my cat will hide so it’s unlikely she’ll be able to take a photo. But i want her to take a photo of the kibble so i have an idea of how much she’s eating. I don’t want my cat going on hunger strike while I’m gone.

And then I want my friend to look out for vomit of any kind. My cat doens’t vomit food so if that happens, there’s a problem. And that will freak me right out. But what can i do, my flight is set and there are no other return flights.

But HAPPY thoughts. My cat will be fine. Don’t want to think about the worst case scenario.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - KarenKat KarenKat has some really good advice regarding photos and/or video while you're gone. Perhaps since you've had your friend over a couple times, your cat might be more comfortable by Monday AM. Congrats by the way and GOOD LUCK.
Your cat is so fortunate to have you.
So, have you considered any calming products? In other words, if your cat begins to act stressed, have some Composure treats, or some Feliway on hand that your friend can give your cat.
I gave my Big Guy a half a Composure treat today since he was convinced he was going to be taken to the vet (poor guy) and was trying to hide in his safe place. It seemed to work, I think?
Something I noticed is that while he was dozing, it made his paws curl up like an unfinished kneading motion...not in a tense, tight way, but it was a little odd, I guess in a good way:dunno: .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Clearcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I never thought of calming products. This might sound strange, but I plan to leave my pajamas, that I’m wearing now folded up on my bed. Along with my throw.... now I have never left my throws out. Once I get up, i fold it and put it away until evening. So there isn’t a lot of cat hair on it. Well, my cat will be able to curl up on it while I’m gone. Hoping my scent will calm her down. I have a shawl i wear that she loves and I’ll leave that out for sure.