Stress Throw Up

Catfamily3000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!

We recently brought home an 8 month old kitty to join our fam. He joins a 2 year old cat.

The resident cat was already a shy and nervous cat. But since bringing home the new kitty, she’s been on edge 24-7.

We’ve kept them in separate rooms, and staged some meet-ups in the week since he’s been here. But recently the resident cat has been throwing up. Once last night and twice today.

Is all of this stress making her sick? What can we do? I’m so worried.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catfamily3000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, I meant to add that the meet-ups have gone really poorly. The resident cat hisses and is in a state of defense/hunt the entire time. She’s even batted at the new kitty a few times before we broke it up.

Catfamily3000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, both cats are spayed/neutered and have been checked this last month and are healthy

Breezy777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there !

I had the same issue with my cat when we had two new cats join the household. My cat was getting sick after all his meals, he couldn’t keep food down, so we separated their food and water dishes and fed them in separate rooms. That seemed to work for us as my cat was immediately better and the bullying between the new cats and my cat had stopped.

Catfamily3000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Breezy777 Breezy777 thanks for your response. I'll try that. I was keeping one's food dish outside the other's door, but think they had been eating out of both.

I've been doing my best to keep them separated, but they're so quick and always run out the door the second I open it.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
How long have you had the new kitty? It can sometimes take months for cats to get used to each other.

Have you tried any calming substances, like Feliway plug ins or calming treats? Full disclosure--calming treats didn't help our cats :ohwell: but some people have had luck with them.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello! I don't know what introduction techniques you are using, but maybe there are some in these articles that you haven't already tried? The last one I am including addresses introducing a kitten to an older cat, but even though your 2yo isn't that old, there still may be some ideas in that article anyway.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat

Oh, and if Feliway doesn't work, try Bach Rescue Remedy which are drops you can rub into your cat's ear; some people use these before taking their cat for a vet visit to help relax them. There are ton of calming products on the market, just do an internet search for 'cat calming products' to see if there are ones you would like to try. You may have to do some experimenting, as not all of them work on all cats.

You could also brew some tea from chamomile tea bags (grocery store type, no additives) and add a few drops to your cat's water. It also has calming effects.

Catfamily3000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We've just had him for a week. I'll stop by the pet store and get some calming treats and Feliway today! Thanks for your reply.

How long have you had the new kitty? It can sometimes take months for cats to get used to each other.

Have you tried any calming substances, like Feliway plug ins or calming treats? Full disclosure--calming treats didn't help our cats :ohwell: but some people have had luck with them.

Catfamily3000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply. I've been reading and referencing these articles and will keep trying. I've probably been rushing too much. The throw up just scared me because I didn't see it in any of the articles. They've been doing great litter box-wise.

I'll order some Bach Rescue Remedy today. Thank you. Last time we went to the vet, she gave us some CBD oil to try (this was before we brought the cat home). Do you think we're just trying to get a one-cat-household type of cat to be a multi-cat-household type of cat? I'm scared I'm forcing her into a life of even more stress (she's already so nervous and shy--but so sweet!)

Hello! I don't know what introduction techniques you are using, but maybe there are some in these articles that you haven't already tried? The last one I am including addresses introducing a kitten to an older cat, but even though your 2yo isn't that old, there still may be some ideas in that article anyway.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat

Oh, and if Feliway doesn't work, try Bach Rescue Remedy which are drops you can rub into your cat's ear; some people use these before taking their cat for a vet visit to help relax them. There are ton of calming products on the market, just do an internet search for 'cat calming products' to see if there are ones you would like to try. You may have to do some experimenting, as not all of them work on all cats.

You could also brew some tea from chamomile tea bags (grocery store type, no additives) and add a few drops to your cat's water. It also has calming effects.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some cats are more adaptable than others, so it might take quite a long time to get your 2yo to the point of acceptance, much less buddies. One week is nothing, not even for cats who turn out to be best of buds. But certainly give deference to your 2yo in terms of allowing her to have free reign to your home as she was used to before the new kitten came along. Her routines should not be disrupted as much as possible at first. One new thing at a time for her, with regard to the new kitten, to let her get used to that idea before moving on to another step.

My Feeby has always been a one-cat-household cat, but that was real obvious from the get-go. Just seeing another cat put her in "I am going to kill you" mode, and she is relatively shy otherwise. Unless for some reason your cat becomes less accepting vs. slowly more accepting, she can't just yet be labeled as a one-cat-household cat.