Stress Related FIC?

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 8 y/o spayed female, Pink, is frequently urinating outside the litter box (on the couch, on my bed) and has blood in her urine. I suspect this has been going on for a while and I didn't notice. I just discovered that she has been peeing in an unused room. I found the urine on my couch and a throw rug in that room.

I am very certain that this is stress related FIC. Her brother (also 8) is a bully. She has become very afraid of him and I think that's how all this started.

I've sort of been through this before with my 16 y/o cat. She displayed the same issues shortly after a stressful incidence. Antibiotics did nothing. The problem was solved by putting a litter box in the room she stayed in 24/7. She was perfectly content staying in one room all the time. Her senses had started failing and I think that had also caused some uncertainty around the other cats.

But with Pink, I can't have a litter box in my living room. I have no vacant rooms to put her or her brother in.

If I take her to the vet and she checks out ok (no infection or disease) can I put her on a medication such as Elavil to help while I try to make more space in the house? What about the brother? Should he be put on medication since he's being a bully? I intended to do a reintroduction with them, but life things happened that were beyond my control (two deaths in the family and other stuff) and I haven't been able to do that. I thought about trying human-grade, made for cats CBD oil with the brother. If I can get some stuff tidied up, I can put one of the cats in a room but I need time (couple weeks).

Thoughts? Opinions?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get her checked out it could be med and behavioral. Syb peed allover most of her life. I tried everything. Various dvm thought it was stress territorial and ic. We switched her to wet food. I put wee pads allover in ss litter pans where she peed and through away a lot of stuff. Scoe was the only thing I found that worked for odor. I hope you figure out a good solution. The wee pads are great because they can be thrown out etc. We tried meds too, elavil etc. it made her dopey and did not really help the peeing issues.

A thunder coat can also help calm her brother a bit maybe.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would say to talk to the Vet about any medications for either one of them. Yes, there are medications you can use for stress, but first take a look at this article about stress in cats: Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

As far as using CBD oil for pets, I do give it to my bully cat, just because he is weird and sometimes acts stressed out, but I can't say for certain that it stops his attacks on his brother.

Baz84

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unless I'm reading this wrong (and I'm no expert with cats) - you said there is blood in urine. Could that be an infection or crystal (less likely in a female - but who knows)? My cat started having similar episodes, peeing outside box, then the other cats started picking on him (possibly territorial?). Vet told us it was crystals... changed the food to renal diet. The peeing stopped and the bullying stopped.