Stress Peeing Is Stressing Me Out!

ryleeroo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been dealing with a pretty deep depression for two months now, which made me play with my cat Riley less than usual for a bit. Soon, he started peeing outside the litterbox. In beds mostly, or where he slept. He's had crystals before and has been on the wet Urinary food for a long time (get to that later), but I decided to take him to the vet to run some tests.

Turns out his pee is fine, so the vet chalked it up to behavioral issues. He suggested another litter box with different litter, feliway, rewarding him after going in the litter box, and to reduce stressful situations in the house. He mainly pees in my bed and my parents bed, so I put another litterbox in my room(one downstairs and one in my room, no other cats) and the feliway through out the house. My question is... what happens if I can't reduce MY OWN stress? He went pee free for 2 nights and then my grandmother died... woke up to pee city in my sheets. The fact that he pees already stresses me out and everything else on top of it... ugh. He's my best friend and such an amazing kitty besides this issue. I have noticed some improvement though, so I'm gonna keep at it. I've gone back to his regular schedule of playing and then eating at night, and pretty much playing with him whenever I can.

Like many vets, mine told me he needs to be on the urinary food for life... which I don't know how to feel about. I've been doing research about introducing different wet foods like Tiki Cat or other foods with mostly meat. Should I just wait until this whole peeing thing blows over or would this improve his situation? I hate giving him the same food day after day, especially with the crappy ingredients! I know there's better options out there but I just don't know what to tackle first. Any suggestions or something that I need to do?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Has your vet run a senior blood panel on your cat? If not, I would ask that one be done. Peeing in his own bed is not something even stressed cats do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ryleeroo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has your vet run a senior blood panel on your cat? If not, I would ask that one be done. Peeing in his own bed is not something even stressed cats do.
does senior mean old? bc he's only like 2.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry you're going through this with your boy, and sorry, too, that you're struggling so much. I have my own fair share of illnesses which flare more when I'm stressed, so I can relate, and I feel for you :hugs:

It sounds like your boy is very tuned in to you and your health, which is both wonderful (from him knowing when you most need some purr therapy) and hard (when he gets stressed out too). It is possible that Riley has some bladder inflammation, which is making him pee elsewhere (in the hopes that it won't hurt if he goes in a different place). This inflammation doesn't necessarily have to have a physical trigger (like an infection, say), so it can be harder to diagnose. It is also perfectly possible that the stress alone (without any underlying cause) is what's causing the problem.
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (flutd)
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis - How To Improve Your Cat's Quality Of Life
How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens

The good news is, there are things you can do about it :) If you haven't tried it already, litter attractant such as Dr Elsey's Cat Attract can make a real difference when retraining a cat to use the box, so that is definitely worth a go. If he has specific pee spots, putting puppy pee pads down in those areas whilst you're working on Riley's issues will both protect your floors etc and make clean up a breeze.

Talk to your vet about trying a calmer for Riley, to see if that helps him at all. I'm thinking of a food-based calmer like Composure or Zylkene to start with. It's more of a supplement than a medication, and is a great first step before moving into pharmaceutical anxiety medication. Zylkene has really helped my girl, and I know Composure has been successfully used by many other members here.
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
Anti-anxiety Medication For Cats
You, Your Cat And Stress

As far as playtime goes, I have long periods where I'm simply not able to be up and actively playing with my guys. This is where a laser pointer is invaluable (assuming Riley goes for it). I have two 1 year old high energy boys, and I keep a laser pointer by my bed, so I can play with them even if I don't have the energy to move much. I have a fair amount of cat furniture in my room too (it's more of a kitty playground in some ways!), so I can send them up and down cat trees, onto my wardrobe and down again etc. Cat TV is something else to try - there are a ton of nature videos for cats on YouTube, as well as lots of games for kitty to play:)
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)
Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips)

I also have a litterbox in my room - not ideal, but it might be something to consider as Riley has peed in your bed before. Even if you can't afford or don't have space for cat furniture, look round your room and see if spaces can be cleared so he can go up and down different levels (like the top of the wardrobe/bookshelf/dresser, maybe the windowsill etc). See if you can find space for some cheap cardboard scratchers too, to give Riley a positive, healthy way to mark his territory close to you. If he has a favourite blanket, have it on the bed with you at night, so your scent can meld with his in a healthy way (which is likely the reason for behind peeing on your bed in the first place).

With food, that is something to discuss with your vet. I know some members here have successfully had crystals cats on non prescription food, others (myself included) have fed primarily non prescription wet alongside prescription kibble, and others have, under veterinary supervision, fed a Dl-methionine supplement with non prescription or homemade foods (Dl-methionine is the primary active ingredient in prescription urinary foods, but it can do more harm than good if the dosage is too high). I'm in the UK, so I can't suggest specific food brands, but I hope this helps a bit.
Nutritional Supplements: Does Your Cat Really Need Them?
Alternative Treatments For Cats: How To Minimize The Risk

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel for you, having gone through the same thing. The good thing is he loves you enough to be in tune with your feelings, so try to love him for that. Put waterproof mattress pads on your bed, and upside down clear plastic floor runner where you don't want him to go. The 'nubs' hurt there feet and they won't walk on it. Try to engage him more, it really will relax both of you, he can be a great stress releaver and give you comfort too. There are water additives out there to prevent crystals, you might try those instead of all urinary food, just get one made for cats, is odorless and check the reviews. If mixing in chicken works, try other small amounts of treats too,such as roast beef, bacon, or deli turkey, it doesn't hurt. Good luck and keep us posted!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing you might check on is- I've read that if you use prescription food for one type of crystal called "Struvite Crystals" too long, sometimes things can swing the other way and create the other type of crystals called "Oxalate Crystals". Can you check on this with your vet?

ryleeroo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel for you, having gone through the same thing. The good thing is he loves you enough to be in tune with your feelings, so try to love him for that. Put waterproof mattress pads on your bed, and upside down clear plastic floor runner where you don't want him to go. The 'nubs' hurt there feet and they won't walk on it. Try to engage him more, it really will relax both of you, he can be a great stress releaver and give you comfort too. There are water additives out there to prevent crystals, you might try those instead of all urinary food, just get one made for cats, is odorless and check the reviews. If mixing in chicken works, try other small amounts of treats too,such as roast beef, bacon, or deli turkey, it doesn't hurt. Good luck and keep us posted!
thanks so much for your kind words and advice! I got a waterproof matress sheet last week, im very grateful to have it lol. I always sleep better knowing he's had a good playtime with me. I'm thinking of cooking some beef for him, he loves that! I also got this raw freeze dried food, but it smells awful, he eats it but i can tell he's not a huge fan. Thanks again!

ryleeroo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry you're going through this with your boy, and sorry, too, that you're struggling so much. I have my own fair share of illnesses which flare more when I'm stressed, so I can relate, and I feel for you :hugs:

It sounds like your boy is very tuned in to you and your health, which is both wonderful (from him knowing when you most need some purr therapy) and hard (when he gets stressed out too). It is possible that Riley has some bladder inflammation, which is making him pee elsewhere (in the hopes that it won't hurt if he goes in a different place). This inflammation doesn't necessarily have to have a physical trigger (like an infection, say), so it can be harder to diagnose. It is also perfectly possible that the stress alone (without any underlying cause) is what's causing the problem.
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (flutd)
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis - How To Improve Your Cat's Quality Of Life
How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens

The good news is, there are things you can do about it :) If you haven't tried it already, litter attractant such as Dr Elsey's Cat Attract can make a real difference when retraining a cat to use the box, so that is definitely worth a go. If he has specific pee spots, putting puppy pee pads down in those areas whilst you're working on Riley's issues will both protect your floors etc and make clean up a breeze.

Talk to your vet about trying a calmer for Riley, to see if that helps him at all. I'm thinking of a food-based calmer like Composure or Zylkene to start with. It's more of a supplement than a medication, and is a great first step before moving into pharmaceutical anxiety medication. Zylkene has really helped my girl, and I know Composure has been successfully used by many other members here.
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
Anti-anxiety Medication For Cats
You, Your Cat And Stress

As far as playtime goes, I have long periods where I'm simply not able to be up and actively playing with my guys. This is where a laser pointer is invaluable (assuming Riley goes for it). I have two 1 year old high energy boys, and I keep a laser pointer by my bed, so I can play with them even if I don't have the energy to move much. I have a fair amount of cat furniture in my room too (it's more of a kitty playground in some ways!), so I can send them up and down cat trees, onto my wardrobe and down again etc. Cat TV is something else to try - there are a ton of nature videos for cats on YouTube, as well as lots of games for kitty to play:)
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)
Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips)

I also have a litterbox in my room - not ideal, but it might be something to consider as Riley has peed in your bed before. Even if you can't afford or don't have space for cat furniture, look round your room and see if spaces can be cleared so he can go up and down different levels (like the top of the wardrobe/bookshelf/dresser, maybe the windowsill etc). See if you can find space for some cheap cardboard scratchers too, to give Riley a positive, healthy way to mark his territory close to you. If he has a favourite blanket, have it on the bed with you at night, so your scent can meld with his in a healthy way (which is likely the reason for behind peeing on your bed in the first place).

With food, that is something to discuss with your vet. I know some members here have successfully had crystals cats on non prescription food, others (myself included) have fed primarily non prescription wet alongside prescription kibble, and others have, under veterinary supervision, fed a Dl-methionine supplement with non prescription or homemade foods (Dl-methionine is the primary active ingredient in prescription urinary foods, but it can do more harm than good if the dosage is too high). I'm in the UK, so I can't suggest specific food brands, but I hope this helps a bit.
Nutritional Supplements: Does Your Cat Really Need Them?
Alternative Treatments For Cats: How To Minimize The Risk
thank you so so SO much for all the advice and kind words! he's my bestie, always waiting for me to come home like a puppy. my mom isn't convinced he's totally healthy even though his pee looks fine. I've put an litter box in my room, with feliway and making sure i stick to his playing schedule. But if it doesn't improve I'll ask my vet about inflammation.

yeah, the info about the bed makes alot of sense. i clean the sheets alot, i'll try to get a blanket with his scent, maybe that will help. again i do have a litter box in the same room, he does use them both very well honestly.

yes, one place i lack in in the cat furniture department. he has one scratcher he's had for a year and 2 boxes he likes to lay in. i think i'll invest in another scratcher with a perch. he does have nice big bay windows to look outside with.

the thing about my vet is im 90% sure he's going to tell me he needs to be on this prescription food for life. i've asked him about alternatives and it seemed like he wouldn't even entertain the idea. but he's been on this food for like 6 months, and again pee does look good. I'm gonna slowly start adding chicken and beef to it to spice it up. thank you again for all the links and help!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A great way to keep track of how dietary (or any treatment) changes are affecting him is to test it with pee strips (the human ones are just fine for this). Cat urine ideally wants to have a pH of around 6 to 6.5. Checking the urine in this way can help you catch potential problems early, and can also let you know if what you're doing is working. Definitely worth doing if you want to move away from prescription food :)