Stress Inducing

yunyxc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my name is Ashton. I've been a new cat owner since 3 days now. I own a 3 month old cat named Olive. She is very sweet but I believe she was abused in her past. recently, ive felt more stressed. ive never had a pet before Olive. she is very shy and timid but has warmed up to me and my parents a lot. Ive wanted to tell them how I feel but we've all grown on her. I don't want to put her back in the humane society but this stress is tearing me a part, I want my carefree days back again...what should I do?

lre17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hang in there-you and kitty will find your new normal and it will be better than before

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Three months old is still a baby. Babies have needs like needing the comfort of their siblings and moms. Babies are afraid because they have no experience and the world is very new to them so they don't know who to trust. Think about how you would feel and react to things if you had opened your eye for the first time just 6 weeks earlier. Kittens need to be protected and guided while they grow, that is your job now.

lre17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
and if it makes you feel any better i felt the same way when i got my boys but we got through it and now I cant imagine life without them. but it does take time. can you tell us what exactly about kitty is stressing you out? Also being stressed about my cats made me go back into much needed therapy to work on my underlying anxiety issues. I can't recommend therapy enough for helping you get the tools you need to deal with stress/life in general. If you are not seeing someone please consider it-we all need help now and then

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Congrats on the adoption of your new kitten. Rest assured it is not uncommon for a new cat owner to have feelings of anxiety after adopting a kitten. But 3 days isn't very long for either of you.
Hopefully you and Olive will quickly adjust to the changes in your lives. :heartshape:

Here's a few TCS articles that might have some tips for you, as a new cat owner. Good luck. And do talk to your parents about how you're feeling, as they know you better than anyone.

First-time Cat Owner's Guide
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just added a kitten to our current mix of two young adult cats, and it was nerve wracking for us too. I think everyone goes through some sort of buyer's remorse (adopter's remorse?) when getting a new kitten.

Relax and enjoy her - all of you will get into a routine soon enough, even though right now everything is new and a little scary.

mjhenn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I regretted getting our two cats for a few weeks after adopting them. Stressing about having to have litter boxes in our house for the next 20 years, always having to deal with the hair on everything. But it soon passed and I wouldn't give my furry friends away for anything.

I think what you're feeling is completely normal. The stress for me was the fact that I just took on this possible 20 year commitment and I didnt know if I was ready but like i said it passed.