Stress/anger Shedding

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wasn’t sure which forum to ask this question in, please forgive me and boot my ignorance over to the correct board if I got it wrong!:rolleyes:

OK,
I can’t imagine Butters is the only cat to do this, but she IS weird/Buttercup after all...:runaround:
Whenever she gets extremely stressed and/or mad she instantly, offensively (both out to get me and just- EEW!:barfgreen:) releases and sheds MASSIVE amounts of fur, all at once.
Through working with her, many of the things that terrified her as a feral kitten, now just tick her off. :livid:
For example, nail trimming, which elicits flailing, screaming, smacking, yowling, etc, that then settles into a low growling, snarling, yowl for the duration.
This is a whooooolllee lot better than it was, trust me. I’ve surmised that early on she realized that I would let her go when she acted up, because I was worried I was terrifying her. She figured out if she made enough noise she would get out of it. Despite petting her feet and having never cut her quick, she just hates being confined, or told what to do. However she also will NOT allow me to trim her nails while relaxing, so I just gently but firmly work with her. She is now starting to realize that it’s easier and more rewarding (lots of pets and treats) if she puts up with it- or at least that bad behavior isn’t getting her out of it either. Bit by bit she gets a little better each time. But I digress.
How on earth does she manage to instantly release all that hair? It’s amazing! She’s like a porcupine releasing quills to get away, but I just can’t figure out how it happens. I try to brush her every day to keep her well groomed, shiny and happy, so I know she doesn’t ever have much loose hair. This is just an incredible amount that just coats me from head to toe. Although I’m also disgusted by it, I can’t help but be amazed, it’s a LOT! I have to brush my clothes even before laundering just to make sure it doesn’t hurt my washing machine, and then change all my clothing and even wash my face- it’s everywhere lol!
She has an incredibly thick coat, so she’s not going bald, I’d just like to know how this happens?
Who else can join my hairy pity party and tell me how the Little shedding stinker does it? Thanks!
- Fur Real Tired of Being Pelted with Fluffy Coats of Fuzz.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My limited understanding is the stress shedding is caused by muscles contracting causing the hairs that would normally shed in the next few days to drop all at once. So she is essentially preshedding and the next few days should have lighter she'd as a result.

My guys do the same thing when we go to the vet. Since I am allergic to them it usually leads to me getting a rash and having to do laundry when I get home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My limited understanding is the stress shedding is caused by muscles contracting causing the hairs that would normally shed in the next few days to drop all at once. So she is essentially preshedding and the next few days should have lighter she'd as a result.

My guys do the same thing when we go to the vet. Since I am allergic to them it usually leads to me getting a rash and having to do laundry when I get home.
Thanks for that! It’s still rather beyond my comprehension, it’s just such a foreign concept I think? I have input the facts so I understand how it works, and yet I don’t understand how it works.:noway:
It’s just amazing really!
Thanks so much for your answer:hellocomputer:
PS- It amazing that you put yourself through that, you really love them :catrub: