Stress and Pain 1 week After Vet

CatProf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took my 2 year old neutered male to the vet last week for checkup and his shots. He also had to get his anal glands expressed.

1 week later, he is still acting stressed out, lethargic, not really eating a lot, and not at all himself. I started giving him anti inflammatory meds from the vet in case he has some pain.

Is it possible that the fecal test and anal gland expression hurt him in some way? Do any of you have similar experiences and advice?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Yes, some cats are very sensitive to being taken to the vet in the first place and struggle with procedures which may be painful. It is very common for a cat to come home out of sorts from a vet visit. In my experience though, this does not last more than a day possibly. Even a cat who is angry at the owner for having put him in a carrier and taken him to the vet will usually sneak out to eat and resume his daily routine minus showing affection for a while.

What concerns me is that this is now a week and he is not eating well and is not himself in several different ways. Is he drinking water? I would call the vet and get him back in to see if anything else is going on that is only coincidental to the first visit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatProf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a conversation with his vet earlier today and am going to give her an update on Monday. Meanwhile, he is on some meds for pain and I'm cooking him some plain chicken and giving him some of the cooking liquid to try to increase his fluid and food intake.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Let us know what happens. Hopefully the chicken and broth will appeal to him.