Stray With Herpes

Kawenu

Another Midwesterner
Kitten
Purraise
There's a black cat in our neighborhood named Patches. I recently learned patches has feline herpes. His story is pretty simple, but sad. His owner became homeless and died homeless, and as a result, Patches is now a homeless cat til death. I personally cannot bring another cat into my house, especially a Tom cat with herpes. I would like to do something for him though, especially if it could reduce the likelihood of him spreading herpes.

Does anyone here have advice for our cat friend?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TNR if he isn't fixed already. If he is fixed you can feed him food with lysine and bovine lactoferrin sprinkled in it to keep his symptoms under control. Poor little guy! I hope you can find him a home...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kawenu

Another Midwesterner
Kitten
Purraise
TNR if he isn't fixed already. If he is fixed you can feed him food with lysine and bovine lactoferrin sprinkled in it to keep his symptoms under control. Poor little guy! I hope you can find him a home...
I mostly only suspect he instead because he stirs up my boys thru the window and has a giant head like a Tom would. We definitely need to get him potentially neutered, shots updated for sure, and I'll keep that last part in my mind for sure. Are those things easily accessible? Like, would I be able to get it as Tractor Supply Co or a animal health store, or would I need to get it from the vet directly?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mostly only suspect he instead because he stirs up my boys thru the window and has a giant head like a Tom would. We definitely need to get him potentially neutered, shots updated for sure, and I'll keep that last part in my mind for sure. Are those things easily accessible? Like, would I be able to get it as Tractor Supply Co or a animal health store, or would I need to get it from the vet directly?
You are so awesome for caring about "him." It's more economical to get human versions from Amazon or the store. Just need to get the dosages right. Keep in mine lactoferrin should be from a bovine source and not plant.
This thread has a ton of discussion on both:

Stubborn herpes infection? Add Lactoferrin in addition to Lysine