Stray/un-domesticated Kitty Success Story!

FriendofFerals

Cat Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there!

I have a good news story for everyone...in a world where there are too many sad kitty stories, I try to help whenever I can. So I moved into my house 6 years ago as a renter, then ended up buying the house 4 years ago. Before I rented, there were several other renters also. The house was foreclosed on during the 2009 recession, and whoever owned it, had to let the house go for $160k after buying it for $300k only two years earlier (this is important later in the story). So my former landlord bought the foreclosure and rented it out, and in 2012 I moved in. Right away I noticed a grey and white kitty in the back yard (which is more of an L-shaped alley between the zero-property line homes) and for a long time he was just known as "grey and white kitty". In 2012 I got my black Maine Coon "Romeo," who is indoor-only, but I would still put a little food out for "grey and white kitty." He would wait by my car when I went to work at 6AM and make a "SQUEAK" instead of a meow, and I'd feed him. He'd also show up in the evening for some food in the driveway, or on the patio.

Fast forward 6 years. I never once was able to touch him. He did sniff my finger once though. I would come home with fried chicken sometimes and give him some nice bite sized white meat chunks on occasion. He was friends with "Shadow", the neighbor's black shorthair female who passed away a few months ago from cancer at the age of 15. Since then, "Squeak" as he became known, started coming to the patio sliding doors in the morning before work, and at night. (I have 2 indoor cats and an America Eskimo that barks at everything including ghosts, so it's amazing he stuck around on the patio through the bark-fests). Around a month ago, Squeak let me pet him when I opened the sliding door just enough to stick my arm out. I was able to scratch his head and under his chin and that's when I realized, despite his notched ear and 6 years of being shy, he was not feral, nor semi-feral. He was a pet that was un-domesticated after what had to be nearly 10 years.

I think whoever foreclosed on the house in 2009 must have left him behind. He started meowing on the patio and if he wanted to come inside in past weeks and yesterday he tried to follow me into the house, and I was able to gently scoop him up and put him outside...first time I was able to pick him up at all.

So this morning I went out on the porch (he was there since 5am...I bought him a fluffy rug to sleep on) and I laid down and he wanted to snuggle for a while. Poor guy. Definitely not a feral! I saw he had an injury on his right front leg that he was licking. Worse, his leg was swollen. I remembered before I went out of town for Christmas for 2 weeks I heard a scream in the back yard (at 5AM again) and ran out there to find the mean neighborhood tom cat "Shitty Kitty" had cornered poor Squeak and they broke it up when they saw me out there. That wound was from back then and it was clearly abscessed.

I saw an opportunity with how trusting his was being, and I hated to take advantage of it but...I got out my cat carrier that opened on both ends and played the "tunnel game" with him for a while until he was looking inside, then I just pushed him in!

We got in the car and were off to VCA Indian Trace Animal Hospital 5 minutes away and they were so awesome to work us in on a Sunday with only 1 vet on duty. Turns out, despite 10 years of being left to fend for himself, Squeak is Feline Leukemia and HIV negative, and had no earmites or heartworms! He did need his ears cleaned, a Capstar, a rabies and leukemia shot and the leg tended to and antibiotics. Also he had to be sedated because he was not a happy camper on arrival to the vet!

I got him home and he's on the patio with the door closed and locked against intruders, with all the food and water, and litter he might need. He even has some white meat chicken and cheese but he's not too interested in eating right now.

I don't know if he'll come back after I let him out in the morning, but I hope so. I plan to treat him for parasites and fleas monthly and hopefully he can be my outdoor cat. The vet said he was probably 13-15 years old, poor guy. I would take him inside if I could but I have a 20# Maine Coon rescue, a 14# Nebelung rescue and and American Eskimo dog...and a boyfriend, all living in a 960 sq ft house so....cant have another cat!

I have set a trap for "Shitty Kitty" and hope to catch him while Squeak is in the patio. I have the perfect place to relocate him where there is a horse farm nearby. He's a jerk, but he deserves a better place to be than bullying Squeak.

I'm furloughed thanks to the government shut down, and the vet visit today plus all the bills hitting at the end of the month is really going to hurt, but I feel good I got to help my friend of 6 years who finally trusted me enough for me to help him!

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where is he now? Can he stay on your porch? He needs healing time at least and at his ag, more would be better. Thank you for saving him. Poor Squeak!
Is the other cat feral? If he belongs to someone maybe they would keep him in if you threatened vet bills. Sad story except for you saving him! Thank you for that. Beautiful kitty! I often find that rescues I have helped that were injured trust me afterwards enough to become totally tame. Maybe you can tame to find him a safe home indoors to spend the rest of his life unaffaid and I’m comfort. Thanks again for going to all the efforts to take care of Squeak! :):wave3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FriendofFerals

Cat Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
He is currently on my screen-enclosed porch which is very small, so nothing he can get in trouble with there, I built a shelter out of a cardboard box and put the cat bed that was out there in it. I just looked and he's lying on the fluffy bath-mat that I put by the door, all stretched out. He was curled up in the corner by a plant for most of the afternoon but I think he's finally relaxing. I plan to keep him in the patio for at least a day or so to monitor his leg since they said it may continue to drain with the abscess. The other cat..."Shitty Kitty" is feral and non-neutered. He is a mean, nasty tabby, and I love cats so it takes a lot for me to say that. I have a trap set and hope to catch him. He just showed up 6 months ago, and Squeak has been around here for 6 years and does not need this young whippersnapper making his life miserable! I WISH I could find him an indoor home, and in fact I wish I could bring him inside with me right now but I have mu hands full with my Maine Coon, the half-bling Nebelung rescue from the hose farm and Bailey the 14 year old American Eskimo all living in this little house. Also, I take care of 7 ferals and semi-ferals daily at the horse farm where I keep my horse. I have 3 kittens I've raised since 8 weeks out there who were TNR and I handled them before 12 weeks so they could be pets now. So many kitties in the world who need forever homes! Wish I could help all of them!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are kindred spirits! Lol I have done 102 this year. Strays and ferals. 72 have been spayed/neutered and adopted out. 24 in process or are permanent residents. You are doing a lot for the cats! Mane shitty kitty just need neutering. My last male feral was very aggressive until I caught and got him snipped. A total feral before, he is now a lap cat! Can you believe it? I was surprised. I used to try and shush him off the others and now he is a sweetheart. The survival instincts can make them shitty kitties. Lol Maybe he will mellow! We’ll hope so! Please let us know how Squeak does. A porch could be a place to live if you can socialize him enough for adoption. There is always hope.:)

FriendofFerals

Cat Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow you are awesome!!! I agree....If I catch "Shitty Kitty" I plan to neuter him, vaccinate and release in a better place. He's a nice tiger tabby, but way too aggressive. The Nebelung I have now was starved to 2lbs as an adult and thrown from a truck and I found him with a broken jaw and once I nursed him back to health and he started acting like a tom cat 2 years later....I got him neutered and he's the biggest snugglebunny ever who likes to sleep in my armpit at night! I wish and hope I can find someone who wants to adopt Squeak as an indoor cat to live his live out safely but until then I will do my best to care for him and provide the safest area for him to live. In the last month he's allowed himself to be so socialized it's crazy. I literally curled up on the fluffy rug out there today and he laid down and was licking my face. He's NOT a feral. He's a poor pet that was abandoned and all he wants is to feel safe and love someone again! So I'll do everything I can to help him!

FriendofFerals

Cat Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
Squeak4.jpg
Update! So I tried to keep the kitty (now named "Squeak") inside the patio, and set a trap hoping to catch "shitty kitty" who terrorizes him and caused the wound on his leg. I ended up catching one possum that I released around 11PM, and at 5AM there was another (probably the same one) but poor Squeak was so upset he started trying to climb the screen enclosure. Fearing he'd tear the up (he's big! Like 14 lbs or so!) I opened the door and he ran...up the fence and gone. :(

I let possum #2 go and apologized since it looked like he threw up and pooped from the whole experience.

I figured I wouldn't see Squeak again, after yesterday's ordeal. I went outside to clean the nasty trap and surrounding area and surprise! Squeak was on the patio looking for breakfast! All day he was out there, sleeping and crying...I'd go out and pet him, snuggle and get head-butts and kissed with his cute little pink nose. He slept for hours and hour and just recently decided to go exploring. His leg looks better and less swollen after the vey treated it. There were several large puncture bite wounds on it from "Shitty Kitty" biting him several weeks ago.

I'm thankful Squeak forgave me for yesterday, taking him to the vet and exposing him to all that stress. I'm thankful he ate some food and got some sleep and I hope wherever he is right now he knows my patio is a safe place for him. I wish wish WISH I could take him inside, but I have 2 rescue cats (one half-blind) and a 14 year old Eskimo dog...and a boyfriend of 4 years...all living in this 960 sq ft house and one more cat might just break the proverbial camel's back. That said, if Squeak lets me know he is too old, or unable to live outside anymore, I will find a way to make his last days, months or years happy. It's up to him. As of now, he still likes to wander and have his space, now that he's gotten used to that after all these years. I just worry about that other cat...if I could just trap him, I'd neuter him and relocate him to help everyone out.

Does anyone know how to trap a specific cat? Especially when they are super clever and well fed apparently??

Anyway, here's a recent picture of Mr. Squeak. Sooo happy he is still my friend!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could use a box trap for trapping specific cats. Maybe a rescue nearby has one you can borrow? Btw that shitty kitty name is hilarious! I hope he gets trapped and snipped soon.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A box trap is your best bet.
I have very good luck by feeding them in a carrier. I get them used to it for awhile and then use a string to pull the door shut or, if Shitty Kitty begins to trust you, close the door. Closing it is much better because if you don’t have the string really tight, they just bust thier way out. Can you approach Shitty Kitty at all? I would try to trap him away from Squeak in case there is another upset. Like a possum again!

Very glad that Squeak is better. Until you catch Shitty Kitty maybe you need to try and keep Squeak on the porch. It won’t please him to stay there awhile but a bad wound from the other cat should be avoided at all costs. (BTW I had a mean cat I called Viscious. I finally decided that maybe if I changed the name and my feelings about the cat it might improve the vibes I put out. :flail:Over time, it actually worked. Along with getting fixed! Flowers is now a tame and purring sweetheart. I can’t believe it’s the same cat! Hopefully getting fixed will remedy the Shitty Kitty attitude. :devilcat:) Keep us updated! :)