Stray Sick Kitten

kidmuffin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi, I am brand new to this site but hoping someone can help me with a sick kittie. Found him as a stray and he is small. Aprox 2 lb. Very dirty, fleas, and appeared to have a rectal prolapse? Sorry to be graphic but very red protrusion from his bottom. I brought him home and first gave him a bath. the prolapse surprisingly looked better after this. I gave him dewormer and tried to ge him to eat (grain free soft cat food) and drink. He has ate nearly nothing and drank a little. He now has very runny diarrhea with some worms, larvae, etc in it. Small traces of blood here and there. I have had him about 24 hours in crate lined with puppy pads so can keep very clean. Bum still looks swollen but is not protruded and more just wet and brown from watery poo. Funds are extremely limited at the time. Is this something I have any hope of clearing up on my own? I have a very wonderful vet who I called and explained my problem. They told me sounded like he may get better but am worried about this very liquid poo. Any advice???

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First, it is very good that the apparent prolapse is improved. This is excellent news. That may have simply been extreme irritation from the diarrhea. The liquid diarrhea is most likely from worms. There are a good many excellent OTC wormers. Perhaps your vet's office would be willing to suggest one for you, since they seem to be sympathetic and caring.

In the mean time, feed the kitten several small meals a day, rather than one or two large ones (that's easier on the digestive system), and try mixing a small amount of canned pumpkin in with the wet food. LOL, this time of year, make sure it is pure pumpkin, and NOT the pie filling! IF you can afford it, you might purchase a can of powdered KMR (Kitten Milk Replacement) or goat's milk (you can usually find that in the baking section of the grocery store) and mix his wet food with that. It will give his nutrition a bit of a boost, and help him fight off any other things that are happening.

Also, if the kitten is very small, a heating pad would be in order. Wrap it in a couple of layers of towel, and make sure that he has enough room to get off of it if he gets too warm. If you don't, you can fill an old sock with rice, microwave it on high for about 1 minute, and wrap that. It will stay warm for several hours.

If you haven't done it yet, NAME THIS KITTEN! I don't pretend to know why this is, but just the act of naming a baby animal like this seems to give them some inner strength. And thank you for trying so hard for this kitten. It speaks volumes about who you are.

Welcome.

Keep me posted, please!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kidmuffin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you for the reply Mamanyt1953! I have dewormed him and in the liquid diarrhea there is worm/parasites. I can not get him to eat or drink much. Made him drink a bit with a dropper and gently forced a few bites of pumpkin down. Is this due to worms as well? I have had him 32 hours and he has not ate much at all. I have been calling him LJ after a big tough guy we are friends with. We hope lil LJ grows tough like big LJ=) I really appreciate your response .... PS We are in NC too

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He does need to eat, but not too much at a time. You can get a can of pate style cat food, you know, with no chunks and mix it with water for him, as I said, or one of the meat baby foods. But he MUST eat, or he can get Fatty Liver Disease. I'm going to flag your thread and ask if the monitors think you would get more answers in the "Pregnant Cats and Kittens" forum. They will move it for you if they think so!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You have received very good advice so far!

Can you post a picture of the kitten?

The kitten will need flea medicine as well. Fleas can cause flea anemia.

The kitten sounds very young and may be missing its mother, but it needs to eat. Please try Gerber turkey baby food, and even goat's milk. No cow's milk. Cats cannot digest lactose.

kidmuffin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so I think things are looking a little better. (I hope.) We gave him some flea medicine and the fleas have mostly disappeared. I did call my vet again and told her while the prolapse was looking MUCH better and that the dewormer I had bought resulted in a lot of worms etc, he still did not eat. I tried everything. The only thing I could force feed him was the broth from the bottom of canned cat food. I used a syringe. She gave me some medicine for another type of parasite. Starts with a C?? As well as some prescription urgent care food that vets can get. LJ still wouldn't eat it but after i mixed it with water my husband and I held his mouth open and made him eat. We have done this twice now. Any advice on how much to feed it and how many meals a day? The second feeding went better and I think he may be catching on... Also before his poo was just liquid and clear or very light. He has used the bathroom once since he ate and it is much darker (almost like melted chocolate lol!) and thicker. I hope this is a good sign! THank you all so much for your help. I wish I could just take him in and get him all the help he needs but my husband and I are buying a business and while its a good business, the payments eat up everything we make... We are young though and I dont mind. Except when it is something like this=( I will post a pic in a min.

kidmuffin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oops I can't seem to load a pic.. Says it's to big? Trying to load one of my cell phone..

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like he is getting better. How much at a time are you giving through the syringe? In mLs or cc's if you can tell me.

kidmuffin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am using ML but I have a CC syringe too... Next question is when he gets stronger and better.... Any tips on weaning him to a soft food I dont have to feed by syringe? I so appreciate yalls help!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He should probably be eating 3-4 meals a day. I do think I remember that correctly, but I do NOT know how much you should be giving per feeding, and darned if I can find it anywhere! I was ready to throw my computer through a window when my googling turned up THOUSANDS of responses, none of which was what I wanted!

StefanZ StefanZ , Sarthur2 Sarthur2 How much should she be shooting for per feeding? OH, maybe ashade1 ashade1 might know as well, with all of her rescue work!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At 2 pounds, since you are feeding soft food, I suggest a teaspoon 6-8 times a day, especially since you are watering it down.

That would be about 5mLs per feeding.

Is he taking it well now?

Fancy Feast makes a chicken and a tuna flavor meat first kitten pate that is excellent.

Gerber turkey baby food is excellent in the syringe too. If you can get him licking from your finger soon, he can then progress to a plate.

Last edited:

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Great advice from everyone here! The medicine you are giving him now is it Albon for coccidia? If so the diarrhea should clear up in a few days! Is he eating any better?

kidmuffin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes that is exactly the medicine. I started feeding him as you mentoned and that is starting to go much smoother. He even is feeling a little playful this morn!!!! Can hardly believe his transformaton....