Stray Refuses To Use Litter

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, we adopted this stray cat that arrived to us this summer. He used to use the litter without problems. At one point we had to take him 2 hours out of town to the ER. It was a catastrophe!! He had to use the litter during the trip and was stressed out. Since then he absolutely refuses to use the litter!! He insists on going outside. The only reason I give into him going outside is at one point he was having stress related UTI symptoms of entering and exiting the litter. So to avoid that mess, I let him outside. I have three litter boxes in the house. He will sometimes if desperate enough pee in the feline pine box. Today he walked into the new Dr. Elseys cat attract litter. I have that one in a huge wrapping paper Rubbermaid flat clear big long container, but didn’t use it. Maybe he will come around to it. Eventually.

It’s winter time here now and getting very cold, he still prefers going outside, in an area I can’t get to watch him, because it’s in the neighbors other side of his house. He hasn’t pooped in the litter for months now. This is troublesome because I am trying to heal his allergy issues and making changes to his diet, trying raw. I can’t really ever know if he has diarrhea or constipation. I just sometimes happen to catch him but rarely. One time he was constipated and came home to try to poop in all three litters. This kitty is stressing me out no end. He likes to pee in dirt/soil. Maybe I need to set up a big box of soil? Are there safe soils I could use for this??

Thanks.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Soil, yes exactly, good on you :)
Unfertilized potting soil has been suggested in other situations, and even to add some leaves to it :)
All the best of luck to you, let us know what happens!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for giving this former stray a home. :petcat:Hopefully as it gets colder outside he'll decide his indoor bathroom is a good idea. Meanwhile, try potting soil, and/or leaves, as Furballsmom Furballsmom suggested. Good luck. :crossfingers:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I vote for the soil option in the litter box! It might even help - assuming you can find any of his poo outside to add a little bit to the box to start off with. If that is a success, you can gradually add litter and less soil!