Stray Pretty Kitty Losing Hair

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a stray long hair white kitty we call Snowball (dont' know his real name) that we've been feeding and let sleep on our patio. We're pretty sure he has a home but no idea where. He's been around for a couple of years. He is losing his fur on each side of his body in clumps. Hair around his head, neck and front is ok. We pet him and give him loves, food and a place to sleep but wish we could help him with his fur with winter coming on. He is a good size cat, not sure how old. Mid life adult? He's too fast and strong for us to catch and we would use a cat trap but we have a number of strays/ferals in our area and figure we'd get the wrong one. Any suggestions of other things we could do to help him? I've ordered an outdoor cat bed warmer and will provide a shelter to put the warming pad in for the winter. The only thought I've got is that if (God forbid) we find him incapacitated during the winter, we would take him to the shelter local shelter.

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you get the wrong cat, just let them back out again and try it again. You could try mounting a corner groomer if there's a spot for it, but if he's matted, the only thing that will help is proper grooming, either with combs or at the veterinarian.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have had ferals be less than intelligent about traps. A few have walked into side by side traps even after seeing one be caught. Some, of course, are too wary and wily for that. It might be your only option though.