Stray Pregnant Cat! Updated

elprocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! We have taken a stray who is extremely pregnant! We don’t know when she is due but we’ve had her since September 3rd and I am pretty sure we knew she was pregnant by that time...I’m worried that her pregnancy has gone on for too long. We can still feel her babies move and she is seemingly doing ok. Eating, drinking and using the bathroom normally. I don’t have a ton of money to take her to the vet so I was just wondering if anyone had any advice to tell when she is going to go into labor or if she has been pregnant too long. I’ve attached a picture of her today when she was sleeping. Thanks!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elprocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the helpful articles! I’m not really sure what to expect. I’ve never had a cat that’s been pregnant before so I’m a little nervous!

elprocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still no babies as of this morning!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It could still be a few days, but she's close!

Hang in there! :)

elprocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She finally had them last night! Seven healthy babies. :) I’m so happy and proud of her!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How are they all doing? Are you weighing them daily? You’re sure to have a runt or two who need support.

elprocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are all doing amazing. Every one of them is latching and they all seem so strong and vocal. I unfortunately don’t have anything to weigh them with but I am monitoring them closely. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can get an inexpensive digital scale that weighs in grams at Walmart. Kittens need to gain 6-10 grams minimum per day. More is even better!

Pick up a can of powdered PetAg KMR and a syringe to have on hand in case you need to supplement a runt.

Good everything went well! :)

elprocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I want to stop and get some more caloric food for momma tomorrow so I will look at scales for babies! So far everyone seems very happy and healthy. :) this is my first cat with babies! I had bottle fed 4 kittens many years back when the mom abandoned them but it is so cool to see her taking care of them!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Get the can of formula while you're at it. Mom can have a dish a day for the calcium. She needs it with 7 kittens.

elprocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all. I have something to add to this. Momma cat keeps taking one kitten out of the box away from the rest. The kitten is noticeably smaller than the rest and seems to not be as vocal or mobile. I am afraid that she is rejecting the little girl. What Can I do?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you been weighing the kittens every day? It’s essential with such a big litter.

This little one is not thriving and needs to be supplemented. You need to act on this immediately.

elprocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok but what do I need to do. That’s why I posted that. Bottle feed?

Diotima

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, that one will need to be bottle or syringe fed. You will need KMR kitten formula, available at most pet stores as powder or canned liquid. I suggest the powder. Don't get Hartz brand. You will also need two bottles, one to keep in use while the other is being cleaned. Also handy: cotton balls, vaseline, a pile of washcloths & dish towels, a food scale and hand lotion.

Cotton balls - to stimulate the baby so it urinates / defecates
Vaseline - to use like diaper ointment
Washcloths - useful for draping over your hand while holding / feeding the baby. Those tiny claws are sharp!
Dish towel - to put on your lap in case you get peed / pooped on, formula spills, etc.
Hand lotion - because you will be washing your hands at every feeding
Scale - weigh the baby daily to make sure it's gaining weight

I have only fostered bottle babies a few times, so almost everyone here is more experienced than I am.

elprocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. I bottle fed kittens about 10 years ago so I don’t remember much. But I keep putting the kitten back and the mom cleans it and lets it feed. It seems to want to find a nipple so how much would you suggest I feed it a day if it is also eating off of mom?

Diotima

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As much as it will take at each feeding. Since it's a newborn, this may only be a few milliliters at each feeding. The formula should be warmed in a hot water bath until a drop placed on the inside of your wrist is gently warm but not hot. No microwave. The powder can be a bit lumpy, so it sounds like some folks here use a little milk frother you can get at WalMart. You could also sieve the formula.

I've only ever raised bottle babies with no mama, so I'm not sure how often to feed one when you're supplementing. I'm new here, but I know this forum has helpful links that cover this kind of thing but I don't know which ones they are. Hopefully someone will be along soon to tell you. :)

The the baby sleeps with mama, you don't need to worry about warmth, and probably not elimination either.

elprocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m going to do my best to make sure the kitten stays with her. She had moved them to a different nest earlier on the day so I am wondering if she was in the process of moving them again and I interrupted her. I will keep an eye on everyone and definitely start weighing to make sure everyone is growing. (Haven’t gotten a chance to get a scale yet)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should feed the kitten as though it is not getting anything from Mom. How much does it weigh now?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You will also want to use a syringe. Kittens with a mom rarely take to a bottle.