Stray Not Doing Too Well

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
6C067D7F-0831-4DC6-B335-1B7DDF1B4071.jpeg
68111EB0-BFB7-46F3-B729-A445D2F73645.jpeg
Took in this cutie pie a few days ago off the street where she couldnt move. She eats like a tiger but very lethargic. I could hear a little wheezing but its very faint. She normally doesnt move much and just gazed into the distance. Im taking her to the vet tomorrow but thought i would ask here first. TFR

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh and she loves to lay in my chest does that mean shes cold? I keep the the AC set at 76-78 degrees.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Bless your heart!

In the first picture her left eye looks wet, if there's any gunk that builds up, be sure and gently wipe it off so the eye stays open.

Keep her warm, sometimes a sock filled with dry rice or beans and microwaved (test it on your own skin) can help. You could also try a ticking sound, like a clock, to mimic a heartbeat.

Also, you could try a little honey slightly diluted with water and rub that on her gums, and this website has a couple of recipes you can make to supplement what you're giving her.

Kitten-Rescue.com

Let us know how things go :vibes::crossfingers:

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks!She has eye boogers on both side. I tried a pinch oif salt with water. Love the sock idea! Hope the vet wont try to empty my bank acct tmrw :)

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking this kitty in! She’s beautiful! I’m glad she’s eating and that you are taking her to the vet. She’s probably sleeping because she feels safe for the first time in a while. Please let us know what happens.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes kittens need a lot of warmth. She most likely has feline herpes virus (NOT transferrable to humans) which is an upper respiritory cold and causes eye discharge and is vERY common in kittens. As long as she is eating that is good. warm goats milk may help too. The virus causes lethargy and wheezing. as long as teh eye discharge is clear, not much can be done except keeping her warm and food. If it becomes thick. cloudy or yellow/green it has turned bacterial and she will need an antibiotic. Kittens with distemper usually get very sick and refuse to drink/eat. A vet can determine what she needs after finding out what she has.

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It looks like shes perking up a little. Maybe the ju ju you guys been sending me are working. First thing she does every morning when she hears im out of bed is to run to the food bowl. Save me the money otherwise id have to spend on the vet. Gonna use that on some high quality dry cat food.
Saw her a few wks back on my nightly round but she was on the other side of the street , alone by herself and couldnt/dint move. At the time i chalked that up to her being shy of humans. A wk ago i guess she was so hurngry that she somehow managed to drag her emaciated body a few feet toward me. I fed everyone and about to leave but then it struck me i cant leave her on the street, she would not survive much longer. Scooped her up and she didnt even put up a fight.

I took in 4 strays. Guess imma have to keep her. Whats another one going do any harm right? Havent gave her a name yet. Maybe “Tiny”?
Thanks!

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I took a string and tried to get her to play with it. Shes very curious but didnt make an attempt to swipe at it like most cats would. Should i call her mini me?

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks. In regard to FHV, is it deadly if left untreated or can she overcome it on her own?

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like shes perking up a little. Maybe the ju ju you guys been sending me are working. First thing she does every morning when she hears im out of bed is to run to the food bowl. Save me the money otherwise id have to spend on the vet. Gonna use that on some high quality dry cat food.
Saw her a few wks back on my nightly round but she was on the other side of the street , alone by herself and couldnt/dint move. At the time i chalked that up to her being shy of humans. A wk ago i guess she was so hurngry that she somehow managed to drag her emaciated body a few feet toward me. I fed everyone and about to leave but then it struck me i cant leave her on the street, she would not survive much longer. Scooped her up and she didnt even put up a fight.

I took in 4 strays. Guess imma have to keep her. Whats another one going do any harm right? Havent gave her a name yet. Maybe “Tiny”?
Thanks!
It would be better to get some kitten food, preferably canned, maybe even some KMR or Goat milk. You should still take her to a vet though, most Cats and Kittens that have been outside for that long will have worms and you don't know what else may be wrong with her.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feline herpes virus is like the common cold in humans. It's a virus so pretty much has to run its course. You give supportive care, humidified air, (like the mist in a bathroom from the shower) warmth, plenty of fluids and good food. If eye/nose discharge gets cloudy, then antibiotics are given. I just treated a cat that got really bad, his lungs were really affected and the discharge was so bad he could hardly breathe. The vet gave me medicine for a nebulizer and I put him in a carrier with the nebulizer end inside and covered the whole thing with a towel. He got much better pretty fast. Most vets give a steroid injection to help them feel better too. Like any virus it can turn deadly if complications occur, like pneumonia, so monitor for anything getting bad.

musical_chick121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all you are doing to help this kitty and others before her. You have a wonderful heart. =)With that said, I would STRONGLY recommend keeping her separated from the other cats in your home (I saw you said you took in strays so I'm assuming they are still in your house) until she is evaluated by the vet.

You may not see her true personality for at least a few weeks until she gets comfortable in her environment. We took in two stray kittens in May, and the smaller of the two refused to move off the cat bed for a week. I was sure something was wrong with her until we took her to the vet and they told us she was healthy. Then we realized she was just scared and needed time to adjust to her new surroundings. Two months later and she is coming out of her shell slowly but surely. With some cats what you see is what you get, but with others you'll find it takes time and trust to discover who they really are.

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you live in the US? If so, head to the health food store and get some colloidal silver. It's antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal. It will help treat any infection. With her wheezing, I'd be worried about bronchitis or pneumonia. And I recommend you ordering some colloidal silver from UtopiaSilver.com (they're in Texas) to keep on hand. It has saved me trips to the vets for UTIs and eye infections.

MOD NOTE: A reminder--always check with a qualified veterinarian before changing your cat's course of treatment or trying a new treatment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She breathing is still a bit wheezy but noticeably better today. I have some canned food but it doesnt say for kitten. Im wrapping her like a burrito at night to keep her warm with a sherpa blanket i just bought. Yea, she has the making of a divas already showing :)

She does have eye and nose discharge but not as much as before so thats a good sign. It’ll probably take a few wks for her personalities to shine through im sure. I hope my local Vitaminshope has colidial silver. Will give them a buzz the minute i get off. Thanks!