Stray Mom and Kittens Urgent Question

Kittymom35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. Thank you for taking the time to read this. I appreciate your guidance:

I have been feeding a mother cat for about a month. A week ago she moved her kittens to a hole near a rock pile in our back yard and they have been living here since. In the back yard. They are about 5 to 6 weeks old. They eat solid food and also nurse at least once during the day and at night.

they have been exploring more and venturing near the road. There is also a pack of coyotes in our area right now. I felt they were more in I decided to get the mom into the crate I have been getting her used to. She went in with no problem and then I tried to use her to lure the kittens into traps. The trap malfunctioned and Imanaged to catch one kitten and get it in a carrier. The other two ran into the rock pile and got stuck in a crevice. My husband and I had to move rock and rock safely so the pile didn’t shift or collapse.

I had to pull one out gently but firmly until I could get his neck and scruff it to get it a carrier. The third kitten bit me a few times through my gloves but I also managed to get it a carrier. I had to pull both kittens out of the crevice, gently. Even still I am terrified I could have hurt them. They seem fine but I’m not sure if I can wait until morning and take them to the vet or take them tonight to an emergency vet to get them checked. Could they have internal bleeding from being in the rocks so tightly? Or as they were jumping on rocks to find a way in? I am a very anxious person and I am so worried I accidentally hurt one or it was hurt.

I should have tried to trap again but I was so panicked the rocks would collapse that I just went into action mode. They are all okay in a huge crate with water and food and safe inside.

is there a risk of rabies from a kitten so young? My husband wants me to go to urgent care but I’m not sure I need to. I am more worried about the kittens than anything else.

please help. Thank you so much.

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens are actually tough little things so don't panic but definitely get them to a vet as soon as you can. As long as they are eating, drinking and using the bathroom they should be OK for a couple days.

I am unsure about rabies so will not comment on that one but I would say go to urgent care due to the fact that there is more than just that to worry about with a cat bite.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you google your state's (if you are in the USA) public health website, something like "rabies in (location by state, county)" you will see if the vector includes stray cats. However, that only give you a guideline, not an absolute guarantee. I have been bitten by two ferals and did go to the ER/urgent care each time even though there is no vector in LA county for rabies in any cat and I was not given the rabies vaccine. However, the second time I did get a blazing case of cellulitis which is something that absolutely needs medical attention.

If I am understanding about the kittens, they were wedged in a crevice in the rocks, but rocks did not fall on them. Internal injuries usually means to organs like the stomach and spleen and is often caused by being hit by a car or falling from a height. There can be other reasons. In an extreme case, you will see symptoms that something is wrong. In a mild case, the symptoms may not appear right away, so getting them to the vet, at least, is a good idea. If you are seeing something more severe, then go to the ER.

Is the mom docile enough that there is a possibility that she is a stray and not feral?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittymom35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you GenCat! Two of them seem okay but the one who was wedged deepest in seems extra sleepy. I’ll keep an eye on them and take them to the vet tomorrow. How do I get them from the giant crate into a carrier?

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I appreciate it and knowing other people care about cats and worry too. It’s comforting.

Kittens are actually tough little things so don't panic but definitely get them to a vet as soon as you can. As long as they are eating, drinking and using the bathroom they should be OK for a couple days.

I am unsure about rabies so will not comment on that one but I would say go to urgent care due to the fact that there is more than just that to worry about with a cat bite.

Kittymom35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi fionasmom,
Thank you as well for the thoughtful reply. I have been bitten once before by a feral I was feeding in 2022. I went to the ER and did the Rabies protocol. I will go to urgent care as well.

The mother is very friendly once she trusted me. She loves getting pets and even flopped on her belly for me today. This is her third litter of kittens since we moved here and it’s taken a long time toget her to this side of the neighborhood. I will keep them until I find them all homes or a reputable rescue to help me adopt them out. They need to be anyway. We have 4 indoor cats already.

I will update soon. Thank you so much.

If you google your state's (if you are in the USA) public health website, something like "rabies in (location by state, county)" you will see if the vector includes stray cats. However, that only give you a guideline, not an absolute guarantee. I have been bitten by two ferals and did go to the ER/urgent care each time even though there is no vector in LA county for rabies in any cat and I was not given the rabies vaccine. However, the second time I did get a blazing case of cellulitis which is something that absolutely needs medical attention.

If I am understanding about the kittens, they were wedged in a crevice in the rocks, but rocks did not fall on them. Internal injuries usually means to organs like the stomach and spleen and is often caused by being hit by a car or falling from a height. There can be other reasons. In an extreme case, you will see symptoms that something is wrong. In a mild case, the symptoms may not appear right away, so getting them to the vet, at least, is a good idea. If you are seeing something more severe, then go to the ER.

Is the mom docile enough that there is a possibility that she is a stray and not feral?

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you GenCat! Two of them seem okay but the one who was wedged deepest in seems extra sleepy. I’ll keep an eye on them and take them to the vet tomorrow. How do I get them from the giant crate into a carrier?

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I appreciate it and knowing other people care about cats and worry too. It’s comforting.
I have anxiety so can totally understand the feeling, but as long as they weren't crushed cats squish themselves into small spaces all the time so just keep an eye on them for any concerning behavior. Sleepy kitten may just be recovering after that harrowing event :goodluck:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi fionasmom,
Thank you as well for the thoughtful reply. I have been bitten once before by a feral I was feeding in 2022. I went to the ER and did the Rabies protocol. I will go to urgent care as well.

The mother is very friendly once she trusted me. She loves getting pets and even flopped on her belly for me today. This is her third litter of kittens since we moved here and it’s taken a long time toget her to this side of the neighborhood. I will keep them until I find them all homes or a reputable rescue to help me adopt them out. They need to be anyway. We have 4 indoor cats already.

I will update soon. Thank you so much.
DID you got the rabies shot? If so you dont need to worry for rabies... although as they seem healhy the risk is minimal.
The same goes for tetanus shot.

However, common bacterias in mouth and claws can be nasty, esp in the adults whom hunt...
So bites and deep scratches should be attended.
If you canT rinse them at least very thoroughly with warmish salted water!

Last edited:

Kittymom35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi StafanZ,

I did get the set of rabies shots last year. My hand is hurting so I am going to get it checked out today but it’s probably just bruising and swelling.

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your knowledge.

The kittens seem to be well so far. They are playing and eating and nursing.

Mom cat seems to want a break from them. She was spending a few hours away from them outside when they were out there. She seems like she wants alone time. Could this be the case? And is it safe or okay to seperate her for a few hours. I thought the kittens were about five weeks but I’m thinking they may be around 6 to 7. I am going to make their area bigger today and I hope that helps mom cat feel better.

They are letting me clean in their area and watching with curiosity more than fear now. One still growls at me every time I am near the crate. I’ve been reading conflicting information on socializing them but I feel they could still be socialized and be adopted eventually. I’ve only taken care of neonatal kittens before so I’m not sure I’m doing the right thing. Thank you.

DID you got the rabies shot? If so you dont need to worry for rabies... although as they seem healhy the risk is minimal.
The same goes for tetanus shot.

However, common bacterias in mouth and claws can be nasty, esp in the adults whom hunt...
So bites and deep scratches should be attended.
If you can rinse them at least very thoroughly with warmish salted water!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have socialized older ferals. My avatar was almost 2 years old when I brought her in the house and I just had to ask her to get off my lap so I could continue here. To me, the 8 week cutoff has not ever meant much. The fact that the mother cat has turned so friendly is a good sign that she may not be a true feral herself.

How to Socialize Feral Kittens<br/> — Kitten Lady

Did you see the doctor yet about your hand?

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you had the rabies series last year, you should be set, but urgent care could tell you if you need to get a booster. Likely not, though, since you have the kitten that bit you and can just monitor them for 10 days.

Are you able to let mom come and go? At 6-7 weeks they would be fine to have breaks from her during the day, and she would most likely to be able to tell when she needs to return. If they're that old they should be ready to be weaned. Could you try to give them some kitten food and see if they'll eat?

If you can't get them into the smaller carrier, ask your vet if bringing them in the crate is okay. I know some vets won't like that, but I helped my mom catch some stray kittens using a large dog crate and her vet was okay with just bringing them in that.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you plan to get mom spayed so she does not have litter after litter?

Thank you for saving mom and kittens! They will warm up to you before too long.

I hope your hand feels better soon. You may need antibiotics if it gets infected. Highly doubtful the cat or kittens have rabies.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Defenatly go to the hospital cat scratch fever, and other things can be carried by cats. And untreated they could cause tissue necrossis (don't google that btw).

Its very unlikely you hurt them outside of shaking them up a bit they are fairly tough, like the toddler who falls off the sofa, crys for 5 mins then procedes to climb it a second time.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi StafanZ,

I did get the set of rabies shots last year. My hand is hurting so I am going to get it checked out today but it’s probably just bruising and swelling.

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your knowledge.

The kittens seem to be well so far. They are playing and eating and nursing.

Mom cat seems to want a break from them. She was spending a few hours away from them outside when they were out there. She seems like she wants alone time. Could this be the case? And is it safe or okay to seperate her for a few hours. I thought the kittens were about five weeks but I’m thinking they may be around 6 to 7. I am going to make their area bigger today and I hope that helps mom cat feel better.

They are letting me clean in their area and watching with curiosity more than fear now. One still growls at me every time I am near the crate. I’ve been reading conflicting information on socializing them but I feel they could still be socialized and be adopted eventually. I’ve only taken care of neonatal kittens before so I’m not sure I’m doing the right thing. Thank you.
If the sores hurts, its wise to let someone look at them. You dont want infections spread untreated.

Momma taking some free time is all right. In nature she must usually leave and try to find food. She did probably did this earlier too. And she probably knows kittens are safe.

Yes, proceed to let them be used with you. go in and change litter, go in and give them food... Small portions but often, so they recognize YOU are friendly and their source of food.
Do talk a lot with a friendly voice.... Sing a little if you can.

Perhaps sit down and read a book... Or lay down...

After a while you will perhaps try to play with them... Have Catch a birdie, and draw it around....

Dont look directly at them, look at their shoulders. Semiclose your eyes. Yawn and strech on yourself, as friendly cats do.

Kittymom35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your guidance and wisdom. I appreciate very much.

I am going this morning to have my hand looked at once I drop my child off at school.

I made their area larger by attaching a pet gate to the large crate and out a small cat tree and some comfy beds in there for them. They have all loved it.
The kittens are all eating solid food and know when I’m bringing it in for everyone. They eat dry food as well though not as much. It’s very tiny kibble for kittens and moms.

A couple of the kittens are vocalizing and crying and looking around. This is the first morning they have made a peep. Does this mean something is wrong? Do kittens experiment with vocal sounds for fun and learning? Of course, I am now worried they may need something or be in pain but I don’t think so.

When you suggest letting mom out, do you mean into the room they are set up in out of the crate?

I have an appointment for her to be spayed in January but I’m going to call around and see if somewhere else can take her before. I found some resources about low cost spay on Alley Cat Allies so I will reach out to a few of those today. We also plan to get the kittens spayed and neutered as well.

Thanks to all of you for all your help. 💛

Kittymom35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will definitely try all of these tactics. I do want to earn their trust and help them find loving homes one day.

I can’t let the mom out of the room yet because I have 4 indoor cats who are very nervous about all the noises and smells from the new guests.

I will let her out in the room away from the kittens for a while. Hopefully she will tell me when she wants to go back in with them.

If the sores hurts, it’s wise to let someone look at them. You dont want infections spread untreated.

Momma taking some free time is all right. In nature she must usually leave and try to find food. She did probably did this earlier too. And she probably knows kittens are safe.

Yes, proceed to let them be used with you. go in and change litter, go in and give them food... Small portions but often, so they recognize YOU are friendly and their source of food.
Do talk a lot with a friendly voice.... Sing a little if you can.

Perhaps sit down and read a book... Or lay down...

After a while you will perhaps try to play with them... Have Catch a birdie, and draw it around....

Dont look directly at them, look at their shoulders. Semiclose your eyes. Yawn and strech on yourself, as friendly cats do.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your guidance and wisdom. I appreciate very much.

I am going this morning to have my hand looked at once I drop my child off at school.

I made their area larger by attaching a pet gate to the large crate and out a small cat tree and some comfy beds in there for them. They have all loved it.
The kittens are all eating solid food and know when I’m bringing it in for everyone. They eat dry food as well though not as much. It’s very tiny kibble for kittens and moms.

A couple of the kittens are vocalizing and crying and looking around. This is the first morning they have made a peep. Does this mean something is wrong? Do kittens experiment with vocal sounds for fun and learning? Of course, I am now worried they may need something or be in pain but I don’t think so.

When you suggest letting mom out, do you mean into the room they are set up in out of the crate?

I have an appointment for her to be spayed in January but I’m going to call around and see if somewhere else can take her before. I found some resources about low cost spay on Alley Cat Allies so I will reach out to a few of those today. We also plan to get the kittens spayed and neutered as well.

Thanks to all of you for all your help. 💛
yeah, NOT outsde into the dirty free! I thought you had extra rooms or such.
What you write you managed for them sounds very good.

Im happy to see they develop nicely... Also their louding is positive. They arent afraid as much any longer.

Ps. Now when they eat solids, momma will prob not eat their poo any longer... So you must prepare a shallow pan with non clumping litter for the kittens.

Kittymom35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you StefanZ! I appreciate your reply. :) The kittens have been using the litter box already!

I have mom cat out of the crate and she is enjoying her time. The only thing is today I noticed her belly looks round and I am concerned she may be pregnant. I am taking her to the vet this week so I guess they will let me know. I didn’t know Cat’s could be pregnant while nursing babies.

Kittymom35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh dear. If she is pregnant, does that mean terminating the pregnancy is the best thing for her? Is that a more complicated procedure? I can’t imagine having her three kittens plus her plus possibly several more kittens here in our home until they all are adopted. I know that sounds selfish. It just sounds like a lot.

I would also feel guilty about having that procedure done but I also want what’s best for her to live a wonderful life. She’s already had at least 3 litters back to back in the year we have lived here. I have asked around and no one was caring for her. I saw her with desert mice and rodents in her mouth several times and decided to see if she would let me feed her, then befriend her, and then eventually bring her in. That process has taken some months and I’m so relieved she is inside and safe now. I can’t imagine her having another litter to care for again. I guess I will wait and see what they say at the vet before worrying about it. Thank you all for your wisdom and kindness.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I wondered if she might already be pregnant again when you said the kittens were weaning. Since she lived outside, she very likely mated several weeks ago and if she’s showing, she’s probably 4-5 weeks along.

It would be best to get her spayed and the pregnancy terminated as quickly as possible. She will be happier and healthier. Waiting until January will be too late.