stray kitty....pregnant?

luvmycalicokids

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i took in "my" stray kitty tonite because it is so awfully cold out tonite is there a way to tell if a cat is pregnant besides taking her to the vet? her tummy seems big but she has so much fuzzy winter fur that i can't see her nipples...and i felt her tummy a bit while petting her and i don't feel any movement other than a bit of gurgling through her intestines. both my cats were spayed at 5 months so i have never been through any pregnant cats situations. i plan on calling the cat rescue we got our second cat from tomorrow and see if they have an opening in a foster home for this stray. she is very sweet and loving and seems quite comfortable being inside. i believe she may have been an inside cat at one point. and i also believe she may be a little more than a year old right now.

a little history behind this cat:
we have quite a few strays around that stay well hidden and only come out at night. this stray has been around my street since about May (that i noticed). her and a little white kitten would be seen during the day and would also come to our ground level window when they saw our cats sunbathing there in September the bigger cat (my stray cat) befriended me finally after feeding her numerous times. i wasn't sure if she belonged to someone or not....so i was feeding her anyways. she looked to be in good health...not skinny and with clear eyes and very well kept coat. she is a VERY sweet cat and if i could have another one i would keep her. about the end of October i noticed she looked kind of fat from the ribs back if you were looking down on her body. the next week she didn't seem as chunky so i brushed it off thinking maybe i had seen her after she had eaten a baby rabbit or something outside and had a full tummy. in the past 3 or 4 weeks she looks fat again. i live in a triplex and one of the other tennants took in the teeny white kitten that was sometimes seen with "my" stray kitty. he also took my kitty in but apparently let her back outside because she was "too aggressive" and was always wanting to go back outside. i'm not sure what kind of aggressive he meant, but i can only assume it was because she wanted love. she is a lover that's for sure. and she always is trying to sneak in the door when you open it hehe. anyways....i told myself that if she was still coming by the window when it got cold out then she was definately a stray and i would find her a home. it has gotten very cold here in the past two weeks and i haven't seen her as much, but tonite when i was leaving for the store she was there at the door. and this time she meowed at me!! she has never uttered a peep that i have heard other than loud purring. so i picked up a few things to help cat-proof our spare room and when i got home she came running out from the bushes to see me. i got the room ready and brought her in. she seems fine with being insde...very calm and still very lovey. her and my younger cat have been playing footsies underneath the door the past few hours. like i said earlier i am calling the rescue organization tomorrow where we got our second kitty from...i know they will be able to find her a good home. it's such a shame we cannot keep her because she truly is a lap cat and she has such a pretty face and gorgeous green eyes!!
although she hasn't learned to hold still for a picture lol

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may also, and probably has, the belly full of parasites, both worms and mites. So whatever you do, give her anti-parasite treatment. I think how and what? Otherwise consult a vet.
This you must to do either she has smalls or not...

I do hope you have her alone in a quarantene room? You shouldnt mix her up with your own cats before you are sure there are no parasites and no infectious sickedness.

If your own cats are not fully vaccinated as yet, do it while she is in the quarantene room.

Bless you for helping her and taking care of her.

Good luck!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwwwwwww she's beautiful!!! Good luck finding her a new home.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope that you are able to find her a great home....or able to change your mind and keep her.
Let`s hope she just has worms and is not PG. (Do you think the little white kitty that your neighbor took in belonged to her?)
Let us know what the vet has to say...and the outcome of rehoming her.
Linda

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i took in "my" stray kitty tonite because it is so awfully cold out tonite is there a way to tell if a cat is pregnant besides taking her to the vet? her tummy seems big but she has so much fuzzy winter fur that i can't see her nipples...and i felt her tummy a bit while petting her and i don't feel any movement other than a bit of gurgling through her intestines. both my cats were spayed at 5 months so i have never been through any pregnant cats situations. i plan on calling the cat rescue we got our second cat from tomorrow and see if they have an opening in a foster home for this stray. she is very sweet and loving and seems quite comfortable being inside. i believe she may have been an inside cat at one point. and i also believe she may be a little more than a year old right now.
Since you do not "know" she is pregnant...I would explain to the rescue that you have a stray who is very plump and you do not know whether she is pregnant or not. I would actually take her to the vet and have her checked out, because it could simply be a matter that she has worms and if that is the case, she can be spayed. Below is a list of low cost spay clinics:

http://www.lovethatcat.com/stil.html

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmycalicokids

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well...i checked on her every hour all night and she didn't use the litter box, but she didn't use the floor either so i lucked out. and yes i did keep her seperated from my two cats....even though my younger one wanted to get in that room in the worst way!! i called the organization this morning but they are not accepting cats right now as they have too many waiting to be adopted. so i had to take her to the local humane society. that broke my heart. i really wanted her to be in a foster home while she was waiting to be adopted. she did so well here, so calm and mellow and just soaked up the love. if i only had my own home and not an apartment
so i'm hoping they find her a loving home and the people will take care of her. i came home and i have been crying since. it just broke my heart to take her there but it would have broken my heart more had something happened to her outside. and i am really very upset that i will neve see her again
i took a few more pics of her so that i would have something to remember her by. *pout*
thanks evreyone for your advice and kind words.