Stray Kitty Going In For Neuter, Exam, Vaccines, Treatment

Heart4WI

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Jelly Bean quite obviously has a belly full of worms and a right ear infection (it's red and inflamed). I brought him home Friday night, and he's scheduled for surgery tomorrow. Would his ear infection and need of worming be a contraindication to surgery? I don't know what other conditions he may have, either - his ears are warm to touch, especially the right one.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Have you had a chance to talk this over with your vet, along with your concerns of his ears being so warm/elevated temperature?
I think some of my questions would include aftercare too...

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you told the vet about the worms and ear infection? When I took my latest stray in she was sick with worms and a gut infection, so the vet wanted to get that all sorted before doing her spay. I would think that any existing issues, like the ear infection and the worms, could mask any new symptom of an issue with the neuter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Heart4WI

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you told the vet about the worms and ear infection? When I took my latest stray in she was sick with worms and a gut infection, so the vet wanted to get that all sorted before doing her spay. I would think that any existing issues, like the ear infection and the worms, could mask any new symptom of an issue with the neuter.
No, I have not told her. I made the appointment prior to bringing him into my home. I will be certain to mention everything to the staff when I take him in tomorrow morning.

Heart4WI

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
Have you had a chance to talk this over with your vet, along with your concerns of his ears being so warm/elevated temperature?
I think some of my questions would include aftercare too...
I made the appointment prior to getting the cat. I'll definitely ask questions when I take him in tomorrow morning, and do whatever the vet recommends.

Heart4WI

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He came through the surgery with flying colors. He doesn't have FeLV. He weighs 12.25 pounds. He now has a microchip, and received his rabies shot in addition to his first distemper and FeLV shots. He also got a dose of Revolution to take care of the mites in his right ear, and they cleaned it out. He was sent home with another dose of Revolution to be given in a month, and some pain medication (which he took like a champ). He made many new friends today :-D - his good looks and stellar personality were in evidence, so he earned a lot of extra attention from the staff.

Now he just wants to get lots of petting and cuddling.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nice! This will help with the FeLV diagnosis. I'm so glad you've brought him into your home.