Stray Kitties In Need Of Help

Sick kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys. I need some advice and I hope someone out there can help. I live in a third world country with zero health care for animals. I have some stray cats that live outside my house. I feed them raw fish and meat scraps, (I know this is not ideal, but they are practically starving all day and I don’t know what else I could feed them, they don’t sell cat food on this country). The older cats never let me touch them or get close to me because they are very mistrusting of humans. Iv tried countless times to gain their trust, but it never works.

The small kittens are a different story, after a few weeks of feeding them and gaining their trust, they become very friendly with me and I just fall in love with them. In the last 2 years I’ve raised 5 kittens like this and I’ve gotten closed to every one of them. Unfortunately out of the 5 kittens only one of them has ever reached adulthood. The rest got really sick and died. Seeing the last one so sick just broke my heart.

I live in a really polluted part of the city, garbage everywhere. These cats are constantly living in filth and dirt, they have little chance of survival.

The reason Im making this post, is because one of the stray cats has recently given birth to four kittens. The kittens are now about 10 days old. I was Wondering if there was anything I can do to reduce the risk of them getting sick. Is there some sort of human medicine I could maybe give them? They are feeding from the mother cat but she also looks very ill. I’m her only source of food, I feel responsible for them and I just couldn’t take seeing another kitten get so sick and die. I hope theres something I can help, I just feel so helpless right now.

Thank you.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry to hear this. :( some places have no value for any type of animals.
Are you positive there are no cat foods at the super market? Surely people must have cats as pets too in your country? Is there a type of shipping service where you can order online?
What country are you in? There are users from all around the world on this forum so someone could potentially help you with the particular country you live in.
Unfortunately from the sounds of your situation if there is no control or spay neuter program or vet programs or even cat food being sold then I’m not sure there’s is much you can do. You could look into feeding a balanced raw diet but that’s not going to keep them from getting sick. A lot of street cats have many horrible diseases that they spread amongst themselves and unfortunately if there’s no vet programs in place their is not treatment for these cats and no way to keep things from spreading. :(

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You're really doing a remarkable job under the circumstances. Not knowing where you are, it's hard to make any suggestions, or to do any research for help you may not know exists. HOWEVER...if goat's milk is available, it is wonderful nutritionally, and will certainly help boost mama as she struggles to feed these babies.

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
You're doing the best you can with your circumstances. Nutrition is your best line of defense. I do not suggest using human medications on cats as you probably cannot make an accurate diagnosis and many medications can be extremely harmful for cats. It would probably be safe to have gauze and antibiotic ointment on hand for first aid uses, assuming you were able to handle them. Unfortunately, it would be hard to tell if your cats were carrying a genetic issue, transferring disease, poison, or infection. Your love and care for them during their time on earth will mean the world to them.