Stray kittens with URI will only breastfeed, need help with food to give them

mailynsca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys. I trapped a mom and her two kitties, both of which have uri. Took them to the vet and they are on the nebulizer (Gentimicin with Saline Solution) in a small crate every 4:30 hours, they're also on Doxycicline and an eye ointment which the vet administers once a day (I take them to their office every morning for this). They do seem to be hungry as they hound their momma for food and have tried a couple of times to breastfeed each other when they cant find her (their right eyes are closed). She breastfeeds them but I don't think that's enough.

I've tried tuna, smeared it on my finger and tried to have them taste it but nothing. Tried mixing cat milk with Sheba and putting that in their mouth but they spit it out. I tried the cat food the vet gave me, which they were able to force feed one of them, but they spit it out with me. This whole thing started Wednesday and I've been visiting the vet twice a day ever since. One of them was even hospitalized overnight. At home I just can't get them to eat anything. Even tried to force feed them water with a syringe and that was a fiasco. They only want their mom.

I should say that they are about 6 weeks old, at most. I tried separating them from momma but that was a disaster. They almost died from depression. Soon as they were back with momma they became active and tried to feed. It's been like that and I'm really worried. The vet said to try the stinkiest cat food I could find but what's stinkier than tuna?

I'm going crazy. Any suggestions on what foods to try are greatly appreciated.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some random suggestions:

Since Mom Cat is their sole source of food feed her as best a diet as possible, also include kitten milk.

Barbecue chicken - think Costco - has been recommended for baiting traps so maybe that will work to entice the babies. I've also seen sardines suggested as TNR bait.

Human baby food, the chicken or turkey with no seasonings, in glass jars. Warm open jar slightly in pan of warm water.

Does Mom Cat eat? If yes, seeing her eat may give the kittens the idea.

Good luck. This must be making you so fretful and worried. Sending good wishes to you, to her, to the kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mailynsca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much! Yeah momma eats dry food, tuna, the milk and Sheba mush I made the kitties. Basically everything and anything. She's not picky and she even comes smell my hands when I'm opening cans. The kitties follow her but are just whining for her to lay down so they can feed. They can be right next to the can and momma eating but they just won't pay attention. I know they are congested, one way more and was hospitalized for that, but I was hoping the nebulizer would help. I'm at least glad that, so far, they are wanting to eat at least from momma, and they aren't as lethargic anymore. I can give momma the cat milk I bought if I mix it with the Sheba?

Thanks again!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How is their weight? On the other side of the spectrum, to help clear some of the congestion which will hopefully make them more interested in food, you can take the kittens into the bathroom with you, place them in a secure location and turn on the hot water until steam fills the room to help break up the mucous in their nose and lungs. You can also use saline drops in the kittens' noses to clear it, but first check with your vet.

I have also heard that adding one drop of Grapefruit Seed Extract to their food will help as well with their URI.

Last edited:

mailynsca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. How is their weight? On the other side of the spectrum, to help clear some of the congestion which will hopefully make them more interested in food, you can take the kittens into the bathroom with you, place them in a secure location and turn on the hot water until steam fills the room to help break up the mucous in their nose and lungs. You can also use saline drops in the kittens' noses to clear it, but first check with your vet.

I have also heard that adding one drop of Grapefruit Seed Extract to their food will help as well with their URI.
I don't remember but the vet wasn't worried about the weight so I'm guessing they're ok for their age. I've been using my own cats nebulizer for the saline/gentimizin mix every 4 and a half hours. I put them in an extra carrier and cover it with a sheet then turn it on for 16 minutes. Now I'm goingto have toget another nebulizer for my own cats because there is no way I'm disinfecting that machine lol.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Regarding their weight, you must weigh them daily to ensure they're gaining.
I'm not clear, are they getting milk from Mom?
You could try the two recipes that you'll find when you click on the What To Feed option on this page of this website linked below, and also make note of all the other information, by a member of TCS;
Kitten-Rescue.com

mailynsca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Regarding their weight, you must weigh them daily to ensure they're gaining.
I'm not clear, are they getting milk from Mom?
You could try the two recipes that you'll find when you click on the What To Feed option on this page of this website linked below, and also make note of all the other information, by a member of TCS;
Kitten-Rescue.com
Yeah, mom is feeding them. Good news is that the one who was really bad just ate almost an entire can of tuna. Bad news is the one that wasn't as bad is now the one that's worse. 😔

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should be feeding mom cat kitten food, wet and kibble, since she is nursing her kittens and needs the extra fat, protein, and minerals to provide sufficient milk for her kittens. Plus she is may need to make up her own dietary dificincies from being feral. I would free feed kitten kibble, plus a tin of kitten food at least twice a day. And a couple of saucers of Kitten Milk Replacement for her. TCS members recommend using the powder form.

Thank-you for the rescues! And please provide us updates!

mailynsca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You should be feeding mom cat kitten food, wet and kibble, since she is nursing her kittens and needs the extra fat, protein, and minerals to provide sufficient milk for her kittens. Plus she is may need to make up her own dietary dificincies from being feral. I would free feed kitten kibble, plus a tin of kitten food at least twice a day. And a couple of saucers of Kitten Milk Replacement for her. TCS members recommend using the powder form.

Thank-you for the rescues! And please provide us updates!
And thanks everyone for your help! The good news is that the kitten I was worried about is letting me bottle feed him. It's not a lot but he's really congested. I take them both every morning to the vet because they administer the medications so at least I know they'll see right away if anything is wrong. Even though he's really congested he's played with his brother so I think that's a good sign. I hope. 2 more days and it'll be a week. Hopefully things start getting better soon.

mailynsca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good news guys, I was bottle feeding the one that wouldn't eat and, when I went to prepare more formula, he started eating tuna. Then today he ate dry food even when the tuna was there! I hope things keep getting better. I'm so scared but I'm trying to be positive. Thanks everyone!