Stray is a 4 paw declaw

Catsnquilts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The new stray is a 4 paw declawed 😭😭, he’s very affectionate and is adjusting well to his new environment. But it’s evident that his paws bother him. How can I help this poor fellow and how can I tell if he’s in pain since cats are masters at disguising it? Ive always used the lightweight litter and he’s got excellent habits, but is there a better litter for these poor cats with no claws? How can I help him stretch when he has nothing to keep him stable? Just looking for ways to make his life a little better, any feedback is greatly appreciated. I’m so sad for this poor fellow!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I use a very light-weight corn-based litter that is remarkably silky to the touch, due to the tiny grains. If your litter is a larger-grained litter, that might help. I know you said his habits are excellent, bless him, but it was what hit me right off of the bat.

Also, he might enjoy an angled scratching post. Something like this,
1600304123942.png

My thought is that if you have someone who could either build this or alter one already built, and replace the sisal with more carpeting, something soft, he could get a decent stretch in without hurting his paws.

Depending on his age, he may already be developing some arthritis. In that case, a heated bed would definitely be appreciated.

But you've already given him the greatest gift of all...a home where his needs are recognized and respected, and a family prepared to go the extra length to help him deal with what other humans inflicted on him. He's found his soft spot, and my heart sings.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have/had 3 cats that were declawed, plus another cat of my neighbors (all front paw only). None of them had/have ever presented issues related to their declawing. All of them have used standard litter (clay clumping litter) with no issues. None of them exhibited arthritic issues specifically related to their declawing. They found their own way to 'stretch' - without even using their back claws - and I have never seen any issues with them keeping themselves 'stable'.

All I know - from my personal experience - is that while you shouldn't declaw a cat, it doesn't mean they are in misery because of it. I am sure there are exceptions to my experience.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. I have/had 3 cats that were declawed, plus another cat of my neighbors (all front paw only). None of them had/have ever presented issues related to their declawing. All of them have used standard litter (clay clumping litter) with no issues. None of them exhibited arthritic issues specifically related to their declawing. They found their own way to 'stretch' - without even using their back claws - and I have never seen any issues with them keeping themselves 'stable'.

All I know - from my personal experience - is that while you shouldn't declaw a cat, it doesn't mean they are in misery because of it. I am sure there are exceptions to my experience.
My parents got our two cats front paw declawed when I was little. We used clay litter (they didn't have clumping litter back then). Ours never had an issue either. I am glad that I did not know what is actually involved in declawing when I was a kid. Sounds horrible. As an adult, I have never declawed our cats nor even thought about doing it. Both lived to be 20 which I thought was normal but according to my husband whose parents have always had cats, that is fairly impressive to get them to that age.

Inthedesert

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The new stray is a 4 paw declawed 😭😭, he’s very affectionate and is adjusting well to his new environment. But it’s evident that his paws bother him. How can I help this poor fellow and how can I tell if he’s in pain since cats are masters at disguising it? Ive always used the lightweight litter and he’s got excellent habits, but is there a better litter for these poor cats with no claws? How can I help him stretch when he has nothing to keep him stable? Just looking for ways to make his life a little better, any feedback is greatly appreciated. I’m so sad for this poor fellow!
Poor baby. I wish declawing could be made illegal.