Stray Has Adopted Me, Now What?

katsup92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

I'm new around these parts but this seems like a very knowledgeable group and I could use some advice.

I recently moved to a new home where they have a good TNR program in place. There is a stray who has been through the TNR program but is very friendly and desperately wants to live in my home. I'm tentatively calling her Jewel, but we'll see if it sticks or not, this is already name 2, we're still figuring it out.

I currently have one cat, Jo a female somewhere between 9 and 16, who has one kidney. She eats prescription food and has settled in nicely to the new home. In February 2018 we lost her best friend and my buddy Jasper to CKD/congenital kidney defect.

Jo and Jewel have been introduced to each other through a screen door for about 3 weeks now and they've been smelling each other on me for about 6 weeks. There was some initial hissing by Jo, but that has ended. They also eat with the screen door separating them and there has been no food aggression.

Jewel has been super quick and snuck into the house when I came in a few times now. She likes to explore and play, loves catnip, and just wants to snuggle up in the cat tree and be safe. Jo seems to have accepted her, they both lay down fairly close (within a foot or so) of each other and they were both purring. They've both attempted to friendly head butt the other cat although they need to work on their timing haha.

I have Jewel scheduled for a vet visit this Sunday to make sure she is vaccinated properly. I'm also due to take Jo in for some follow up blood work (a constant since she has 1 kidney and we need to monitor it.) Does it make sense to take them at the same time? I have a spare smaller carrier, but realistically it's more Jo size than Jewel size. However, Jo has never been in it and she and Jasper always shared the larger carrier. How do I manage that? I want to make sure Jo continues to feel comfortable, secure, and well loved but I also want to make sure Jewel is taken care of, it's such a tough balancing act.

Jo is used to free feeding her wet food - the challenge is that it's prescription wet food (the whole one kidney thing) and I put meds in it. I have no idea how to make this work if Jewel does live in the house. Suggestions?

How do you introduce a new cat to an existing liter box situation? I've never done this before as I picked up Jo and Jasper from the same shelter on the same day. I currently have 2 litter boxes, side by side, and it suits Jo okay. But I should probably add a third right? In a different spot? There is not a great spot in this house, but I will make it work if I have to (Jewel says I have to.) How do you let a new cat start using an existing cat's liter box?

Anyway, I could use some advice and maybe reassurance that this is the right thing to do. If I'm missing an important step, please let me know, I want to do this right if I can.

There's also another stray who I thought was feral but has just recently warmed up enough to me to let me pet him. His ear is not tipped and I got a good look recently and he's not fixed. The local TNR program says I have to trap him myself to take part in their program, so that's something else on my radar.

Thank you!
Katsup

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow you're amazing! The kitties are lucky to have you. For the food thing, I would feed the new girl at the same time you feed Jo. I feed my cats twice a day and I have 3. One eats alone in the guest bedroom and the other 2 eat side by side. But I have to watch to make sure no one steals food. It's a little more complicated but not too bad. You don't have to add another litterbox if you scoop often.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katsup92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow you're amazing! The kitties are lucky to have you. For the food thing, I would feed the new girl at the same time you feed Jo. I feed my cats twice a day and I have 3. One eats alone in the guest bedroom and the other 2 eat side by side. But I have to watch to make sure no one steals food. It's a little more complicated but not too bad. You don't have to add another litterbox if you scoop often.
Thanks kittyluv - they've been eating at the same time for 3 weeks now, but almost always with a screen door in between them. The challenge is that Jo is not a super fan of her food and she grazes on it during the day. So if there's any food left, I'm worried that Jewel will start eating it. Jo is very interested in the non-prescription food that Jewel is eating, but Jewel is still pretty hungry so she's eating most/all of her food within a half hour. Maybe I'll have to feed Jewel somewhere else - but I'm not sure how to solve Jo having her food available to her all day like she's used to from the past 7 years of living with me haha.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha well not having it available 24/7 might get her a little more excited for her meals. I have 3 super excited kitties meowing and jumping on the counters when I get their food ready for them lol.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent advice by kittyluv387 kittyluv387 . It sounds like everything has been going very well. I would probably take them to the vet at the same time. There may be a shuffle on the carriers but they will return home with the same vet smell so no hissing at each other because of that.
I feed new kitties inside an open carrier to give them their own spot. It also helps the kitties see the carrier as a great place to be all the time. I make the carriers as a refuge and keep them out at all times for feeding, nap time or even play.
Welcome! :welcomesign: I’m glad you came to thecatsite! There are lots of great cat people here with tons of experience who will enjoy sharing with you. We love hearing about your kitties too! Thank you for bringing this kitty into your family! :heartshape:

katsup92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Haha well not having it available 24/7 might get her a little more excited for her meals. I have 3 super excited kitties meowing and jumping on the counters when I get their food ready for them lol.
That's true - I just remember trying to keep Jo from Jasper's food when he was the only one with kidney issues and it was a daily struggle.

Excellent advice by kittyluv387 kittyluv387 . It sounds like everything has been going very well. I would probably take them to the vet at the same time. There may be a shuffle on the carriers but they will return home with the same vet smell so no hissing at each other because of that.
I feed new kitties inside an open carrier to give them their own spot. It also helps the kitties see the carrier as a great place to be all the time. I make the carriers as a refuge and keep them out at all times for feeding, nap time or even play.
Welcome! :welcomesign: I’m glad you came to thecatsite! There are lots of great cat people here with tons of experience who will enjoy sharing with you. We love hearing about your kitties too! Thank you for bringing this kitty into your family! :heartshape:
Thanks for the welcome! Since I live in a cat friendly community now I'll probably have more questions and things to share in the future :)

That is such a good reminder about the vet smell! I was stressing about them being in a stressful situation and thinking it was because of the other cat or associating the stress with the other cat. Hopefully they will help reassure each other instead and then there will be less issues at home afterwards.

I do keep my carrier out all the time, it's a frequent nap spot for Jo. The new house doesn't really allow for this to be easily accessible from the kitchen - but it might need to work out if I can't figure out how to keep them from the other's food.

I was not planning on another cat (I'm massively allergic, 4 allergy meds daily allergic) but she is so sweet and so clearly wants to join the family. So, here we are.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Extra kudos since you are allergic. It sounds like you will work it all out. I look forward to hearing all about them! We love photos too if you can post any.
Personally, I’m not usually planning on another cat.....they just come and I have to help them. :lol: They chose us.

katsup92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Extra kudos since you are allergic. It sounds like you will work it all out. I look forward to hearing all about them! We love photos too if you can post any.
Personally, I’m not usually planning on another cat.....they just come and I have to help them. :lol: They chose us.
Thanks! I wasn't allergic, literally tested negative for cat allergies twice in my life. Got two cats, fell in love with them *BAM* cat allergies off the charts.

I'll add some photos as soon as I can, good to know!