Stray Cats and Kittens in Developing Country with NO Vet Care

eliz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Advice needed please: I live on a small, Asian, tropical island in a developing country that has many stray cats. Invariably I end up caring for sick kittens and sometimes adult cats. The island has a type of animal first aid post where a non-qualified person can give basic cat first aid, such as stitches, and worm syrup. I feel quite devastated and frustrated when I can't help a sick kitten and it dies (4 kittens in 6 months and the latest this morning). Sometimes, the sick kitten dies painfully, which is really upsetting.
In these conditions I'd appreciate some general advice on what I can do to make a sick kitten comfortable. Also, when I go out to a neighbouring country with pet shops, what can i buy to create a sick kitten emergency first aid kit.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bless you for trying to help. I can't imagine the heartache of watching them die despite your best efforts. I'm not sure what to suggest since what seems needed are medications, especially pain relief which needs a vet prescription. There are no safe over the counter pain meds for cats.

Is there any type of Trap, Neuter and Return type of program available to help curb the growth of the stray cat population? Truthfully, something like that may help a lot more in the long run than palliative care. Are there any vets on the island who might help you?

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the basics like hydrogen peroxide for wound care and bleach to make sure their surroundings are clean would be a start.  I keep saline eye drops on hand as well in case of upper respiratory infections that goop up their eyes.  It doesn't cure it but it helps relieve the goop.

You might be able to send away for antibiotic eye ointment, worming tablets and flea medicines as well.  I do not know if there are places you can buy antibiotics without a prescription.

Also - you can also buy l-lysine and diatomaceous earth (food grade).  The l-lysine will help boost their immune systems and the DE will help kill fleas and some worms.  Make sure you buy food grade.

Try Petmeds.com and Amazon.com.  Thank you so much for helping them.  I would be beside myself if I didn't have access to basic vet care.

Vball91 is right too.  Spaying and neutering them will go a long way towards preventing a lot of the sickness you're seeing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eliz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Ondine and VBall for you advice and kind words. Sadly, in a developing country, often it is a struggle for people, so that animals are way down the list of what is important. There is no vet on the island, nor is there one on the mainland within a driveable distance, which speaks volumes. I tried writing a letter to the relevant government body about having a travelling vet come and the idea of creating a spaying programme. Unfortunately, there has been no action. With your suggestions in mind, i'll try to look after the cats that live in the immediate area to the best of my ability. Thanks for the websites too, i've started a list of practical things I can buy for my stray cat/kitten emergency first aid kit:wavey:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Eliz,

I live in Japan, a developed country that has excellent vet care for pet cats but virtually nothing for feral cats. There are very few animal shelters and those that do exist seem to only help stray pet cats, feral cats are left to fend for themselves.

However, some people do try to help feral cats. I know a few people who regularly feed them and there are other groups of volunteers who try to re-home or TNR the feral cats in their neighborhood. 

There might be others who feel the same way you do that live on your island. Could you start a Facebook page asking if anyone close by wants to help their neighborhood cats? Maybe if there were a couple of other people trying to get a travelling vet to visit your island you might have more success.

Good luck and thank you for trying to help these cats. I know how frustrating and heartbreaking it can be at times, but I think that if you ask around you might be able to find others who are in the same position as you.

lrosewiles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another thought is that you might try reaching out to the vet schools here in the US and in Australia to spread the word about the need for at least a visiting vet - maybe they could get something going?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 Sometimes, the sick kitten dies painfully, which is really upsetting.

This shouldnt be necessary.  Although it demands you are brave and do what should be done.   To say it bluntly.

Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

eliz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Stefan and the other contributors for your advice and suggestions on how to deal with the sick kittens and cats situation here. A lot of the sick kittens appear to be very thin and lethargic and dehydrated, so the suggestions about rehydration, milk and nutrition have been invaluable. I have got some opthalmic antibiotic ointment for the eye infections and as soon as I can, i'll get some KMR and a feeding bottle. For a malnourished amd dehydrated kitten, when is it safe to give deworming and flea control products? I'll keep you posted about the next sick kitten and hopefully the outcome will be a positive one.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 I'll keep you posted about the next sick kitten and hopefully the outcome will be a positive one.
with young kittens and moms, post in the Pregnant forums.

Even if they are technically  ferale.   Usually it doesnt matter much with small kittens.

Possibly with crosswise links if you want to make sure you get adequate responses.

which dewormers and flea control products you do have access to?  Or think you may get access to?