Stray Cats and Daylily Concern

lynne8832

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all!
I have a question about daylillies and stray/outdoor cats - I know that "true lillies" are toxic to cats, but I am unsure about daylillies. Monty continues to come by every day or every few days, and 2 more stray cats have started to come by my apartment. I have tried to keep Monty inside, but he just will not tolerate it and he is much happier outside. The other day I noticed that there were some flowers blooming in the garden bed right next to my porch. I thought that the plants were just grass because they have not had any flowers on them until this week, but now I believe they might be daylillies. They have foliage that looks like grass and bright yellow flowers that have 6 petals. There are about 15-20 of them planted in the landscaping/garden bed right outside my apartment and they are scattered all over the surrounding buildings of my apartment complex. Is this a concern for the stray cats that are coming to my porch every day since they are starting to bloom? I know that lillies can cause kidney failure if any part of the flower or leaves are eaten, but would it be a risk for them if they are just walking by them to come onto my porch? I doubt that any of the cats are interested in chewing on or eating the flowers or leaves since they have other food sources, but I am still concerned. I'm not sure if there is much I can do though, as they have been planted by the apartment complex so I don't have the option to remove them. Are lillies not as much of a concern for outdoor/stray cats since they usually will not choose to eat them? Thanks in advance!

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
L lynne8832 The issue may be where daylily / Hemerocallis is confused with lily / Lilium which is very toxic.

The Latin name for daylily is Hemerocallis It is certainly not poisonous for deer. I have cooked and eaten the young leaf shoots, and dried (young) flowers are sold in Asian grocery stores as "golden needles." That said, a quick Google turned up several sites that claim daylilies are O.K. if eaten by dogs but poisonous for cats while there are other sites that say daylilies are not harmful to cats.

Regardless, just walking by a daylily is not going to harm the cats who would need to ingest / eat it. IF the plant is actually harmful.

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's what the ASPCA says:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lynne8832

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is what I have also read. I wonder if this is more of a concern for an indoor cat that may be curious to chew on flowers from a bouquet that is brought inside? Maybe an outdoor cat is less inclined to pay attention to the flowers/plants since they are nothing new and exciting to them. I am definitely very worried about having so many daylillies around the apartment complex and having them so close to my porch where I feed the stray cats, but I'm hoping it will not be an issue since they have all lived in the area for a while and seem to know what to avoid.

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll bet you're right. My indoor/outdoor cat doesn't show much interest in my garden plants, except for liking to sleep under big grasses. I'd worry about pollen from a true lily falling on a cat and being licked off. But not daylilies, supposedly.

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have wild day lilies in my back yard and I see the outdoor/ferals laying in them or hunting mice and haven't noticed any issues with them being sick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lynne8832

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have wild day lilies in my back yard and I see the outdoor/ferals laying in them or hunting mice and haven't noticed any issues with them being sick.
Oh wow, that is reassuring! He definitely does not seem to be interested in chewing on them, I was just worried about him having to walk through them to get to the porch, but hopefully it will not be an issue!