Stray Cat

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found a stray hanging around my house, she was friendly and very thin I gave her food, water, and a kennel with blankets to stay warm. She kept coming back and meowing at my door. It had gotten just too cold and I brought her in. I put her in my room with a box, food water, toys litter pan etc...she slept for quite sometime and I just let her rest. Slowly she has started to creep out(over 2 weeks now) and hang out with the rest of the family. I already have three rescue cats. I did not want them upset or her either. I’d let everyone have a smell. The thing is, she’s loving and sweet... but then she growls and strikes at all of us. I’m trying to be patient with her talk sweetly and praise her. But her attacks are just viscous. I don’t know what to do, as I’ve never experienced this before. Please help.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may be worried but you are actually doing great with her. She is just nervous. Give her time. I am helping a male adjust right now that was doing the same thing. At first his swats were with claws out. Then the claws withdrew but the seats continued. I use a firm, but calm, No when he did it. I started showing him a hairbrush and then slowly started brushing him with it. I got swatted at first but it felt good so he allowed it after a bit. I also used the stick part of a wand toy to rub him. It took some time but now he is much calmer and letting me really pet him. It’s just part of the process of adjusting.
I also have two females I have been working with. It has taken longer with one than the other but both are really starting to blend in with my other cats. I have been doing a lot of feral rescues and I also have cats that have lived with me for years. All are rescues. Each cat is different. Some blend in quickly and others are more frightened. A lot depends on their personality and what they went through before you rescued them. Just stay calm. She will pick up on that and it will help. If she acts badly turn your back on her. That is what another cat would do to tell her no. She came to you because she sensed she could trust you. When she understands that the house and other cats are not a threat then she will start to relax. This is all new to her. You can imagine if you were in her place that you might be scared too. There are things you can do to help her be calm. Soft music may help. Furballsmom Furballsmom is someone who gives great advice on calming tricks. Maybe she can weigh in here. Feliway makes some calming products you can buy. Play time might help her get used to being around the other cats. If she sees them playing with something she may see that things are okay and may even join in. I’m sure others will be posting here with more tips to help you out. I’m glad you posted. Please keep updating. We care how things are going for you and the kitties. TCS is a great place to get help. I’m so glad you saved her. Hang in there! :rock:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much, every bit helps me.
I just ordered feliway, I’m hoping it will help. I have brushed her and bathed her, bless her heart she was so dirty. She lets me brush a little longer every day. I don’t push, I don’t know what she has been through so maybe that’s part of her being on the edge.
She loves to play I have discovered, so when she does creep out I get the wand out and everyone takes a turn, and she too will bat at it. My little female tuxedo Birdie is having the most difficult time accepting her... maybe BC they are both female?? The other two are males and very curious. I won’t give up on her. BTW... I have never heard this girl purr.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I'm betting that purr will happen in time :)
Jcatbird Jcatbird is one of THE experts at how to help scared kitties :thumbsup: :cloud9: and it sounds as though you are doing a wonderful job!!

Music can be helpful, as mentioned, you could try low volume classical harp music, there is an app called Relax My Cat, there is MusicForCats.com

Also, if the feliway doesn't help Birdie (some cats aren't affected by it at all) you could try one of these;
Richard's Organics Pet Calm-those are drops that you put on the tip of their tongue. Quiet Moments Cat treats, there is Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has a calming product, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.
Also Thunderease has diffusers as does Sentry.
You might want to check with your vet, but some people have good results with CBD oil.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, drsfostersmith, animaleo.

There is a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. It also could help in the introduction phase where you're having them eat near to one another;
The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This discussion's post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you have already made phenomenal progress. Furballsmom Furballsmom gives great advice on calming the whole situation down. I am also betting that the purring will come. Great job! I can assure you that I have spoken to many people who have struggled with similar situations. You really have gotten her to make a difficult adjustment, very well. Birdie may be feeling like the “new girl” is going to steal your heart so just make sure she gets some special loving too. Keep us updated. :cheerleader::heartshape:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're doing really well, so are your cats. Remember cat time is much slower than our time. As I said to another poster, You're on the bullet train of getting the cats together.

New kitty is still frightened and probably afraid the other cats will persuade you to throw her outside again. She seems to have had a home at one time, perhaps displaced by another animal or a human. Her time outside sounds as though it was terrible. Never forget the fear factor.

Again, you're doing really well. Your open heart and kindness should help weave your little family together.

Oh, and remember part of cats getting together is light fighting, much like small human boys.

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! I'm betting that purr will happen in time :)
Jcatbird Jcatbird is one of THE experts at how to help scared kitties :thumbsup: :cloud9: and it sounds as though you are doing a wonderful job!!

Music can be helpful, as mentioned, you could try low volume classical harp music, there is an app called Relax My Cat, there is MusicForCats.com

Also, if the feliway doesn't help Birdie (some cats aren't affected by it at all) you could try one of these;
Richard's Organics Pet Calm-those are drops that you put on the tip of their tongue. Quiet Moments Cat treats, there is Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has a calming product, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.
Also Thunderease has diffusers as does Sentry.
You might want to check with your vet, but some people have good results with CBD oil.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, drsfostersmith, animaleo.

There is a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. It also could help in the introduction phase where you're having them eat near to one another;
The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This discussion's post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat
You're doing really well, so are your cats. Remember cat time is much slower than our time. As I said to another poster, You're on the bullet train of getting the cats together.

New kitty is still frightened and probably afraid the other cats will persuade you to throw her outside again. She seems to have had a home at one time, perhaps displaced by another animal or a human. Her time outside sounds as though it was terrible. Never forget the fear factor.

Again, you're doing really well. Your open heart and kindness should help weave your little family together.

Oh, and remember part of cats getting together is light fighting, much like small human boys.
Aww, thank you all so much! I’m trying best I can to make her feel safe and loved being cognizant of her situation.
I’m hoping in time, both my boys and my lil Birdie will learn to love her and accept her as her with them.
It’s nice to get advice and help on cats. I haven’t had a cat since I was a teenager and now I have acquired 4 strays in three years. They adopted me lol.
I am amazed at the products that are out there for feline calming and comfort. I’m going to Petsmart today and have a look. Thanks for the share.
I have named this girl Chili Bean, she’s a petit calico so beautiful...I thought someone was sorely missing her. But no one has claimed her. she does not try to go to the door trying to get out or even meow...the outside world must have been scary for her.
Also, does anyone have any suggestions for what, if anything I’m able to use on her paw pads; they are so rough and cracked.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
lol what I am hearing is that she is fighting fear internally. I went through this same thing with our Pretty Kitty that we took in as a reverted feral. It was almost like she was "thinking" to herself "oh this is so nice I like these people I'm going to approach them and headbutt their hand...wait I should defend myself OMG they will kill me if I don't get away...wait no they are ok...I trust them so I'll present my rear end- wait no that was a mistake OMG!"

This can go on for months but be patient. Kitty needs time to have multiple positive experiences. Swatting between showing some signs of affection is normal.

Also pay attention and make sure you are not overwhelming her. It's so tempting to dote on a cat that has rubbed her face on your leg or outstretched hand but it's best at first to let the cat lead everything. Just let her do her thing- offer your leg or your hand but don't push too much. Meaning don't think you can approach and try to pet her all night long just because she rubbed your leg that afternoon.

It really does sound like you are on the right track with her:)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can just extend your forefinger to within six inches or so of her nose when she approaches. This simulates cat greeting - they approach each other's noses. If all goes well they brush passed each other side to side, not necessarily touching. Hold still at six inches or 20 inches and let her approach. Hold still and let her slide her face along your finger/hand. Do not pet.

You may need to do this for a while before petting. You will probably continue to do this for the rest of her life. Sweet Gum was a bottle baby for the last week of her nursing and she adores the finger boop still.

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
lol what I am hearing is that she is fighting fear internally. I went through this same thing with our Pretty Kitty that we took in as a reverted feral. It was almost like she was "thinking" to herself "oh this is so nice I like these people I'm going to approach them and headbutt their hand...wait I should defend myself OMG they will kill me if I don't get away...wait no they are ok...I trust them so I'll present my rear end- wait no that was a mistake OMG!"

This can go on for months but be patient. Kitty needs time to have multiple positive experiences. Swatting between showing some signs of affection is normal.

Also pay attention and make sure you are not overwhelming her. It's so tempting to dote on a cat that has rubbed her face on your leg or outstretched hand but it's best at first to let the cat lead everything. Just let her do her thing- offer your leg or your hand but don't push too much. Meaning don't think you can approach and try to pet her all night long just because she rubbed your leg that afternoon.

It really does sound like you are on the right track with her:)
hahaha you are so right! Too funny.
I just let her be and come at her own pace. She’s doing good, though I am afraid I’m guilty of overwhelming her. I’ll be more conscious of that. Thank you.

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not to hijack the thread but awwww, you just melted my heart LOL :cloud9:
My lil Birdie was a bottle baby too, she was the only survivor in her litter,(attacked by a dog) came from a feral mom. So great full she was given to me at 3 weeks old. She just turned a year in October.

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: My new stray Chili Bean, and my other three kitties are all friends now and no longer have to be separated. I am so great full that it all worked out.
;-) I was so fearful of causing any undo stress for any of them, and as of today they are all able to lounge on the cat tree together!

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, so like I mentioned things have been going well, however...today my little female Birdie and the “stray” Chili started looking at one another as if in a standoff. I think Chili may have wanted to play, she’s very playful, but then she began to growl, I told her no firmly but the growls continued. I didn’t want a fight, (Birdie is a feisty 4 lb little cat and not very loving.) so I removed Chili telling her no...out of nowhere she attacked me,bit me so hard she drew blood and scratched the devil right out of me!!! HELP! I don’t know what to do now. My husband says she’s just a mean cat by nature and we should find her a home.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, she isn't a mean cat. Meaning, she was mad at the other cat and wanted to go for her and accidentally got you instead. It takes awhile for the brain to process that she isn't facing her enemy anymore. If cats and dogs couldn't focus this intently they wouldn't have survived over the centuries. It's similar to what athletes do. She isn't a dangerous cat.

Do NOT pick up a cat when they are getting ready to fight. Throw a large towel or blanket over them. By the time they fight their way out from under it the fight has dissipated for the the moment. Then herd -- with hand motions not touching -- one out of the room.

Would you step into the middle of a fight between your husband and some other guy? Or more precisely two boys of any age up to 60. If your boy accidentally landed a punch on you, would label him a mean man and leave him? No difference here.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I'm sorry this has happened, but K Kflowers is completely correct.
Next time, you could also use a large piece of cardboard to shoo one cat away from the other.
Hopefully your husband understands that cats can get cranky with each other just like people do :)
Try backing up your introductions a step or so.

Take a look at these, it might help including the link to the article about cat introductions;
Why Do Cats Attack?

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
3EF96751-6CC4-4851-84EB-F5D79931F546.jpeg
Ok, thank you, I never thought of placing a towel or a cover over a cat, I should’ve shooed one away...but instinct said grab. Ugh... learning, learning, learning. And no, I know she’s not a mean cat, she’s very affectionate and I know she wants to fit in, I love her dearly. My husband doesn’t like the idea of me having 4 cats!!! Grrrrrrr....
I’ll separate Chili and Byrdie and maybe let Byrdie smell her blanket again? (Buddha, my sweet boy)

Attachments