Stray Cat What Breed?

Ayisha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_3253.JPG
IMG_3248.JPG
Just curious as to what this guy might be! Thanks :) very very vocal, very very friendly came by a couple days ago and we're about to adopt him if nobody claims him!!

loonieluna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I could most definitely be wrong with this as I am not a cat breed expert, but it looks like you have a Domestic Shorthair with a calico coat. Look at those ears!

But I do have a few questions. You said he 'came by a couple of days ago'. I'm assuming you found him by your house. Have you taken him to the vet or to your local animal shelter to see if he has a microchip implant? If he is friendly, that means he is not feral and has been around humans for most/some of his life. He could just have escaped and scanning for a microchip will make it easier to find his owners and return him to them. I also suggest searching up your local Facebook lost and found pets page and either putting a found pet post up or looking through the posts and seeing if anyone has lost a cat matching his description. A Lost pet can be devastating for the owner so you should really try your hardest to find this cat's original home and get him back to his probably grieving owners.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
He would be a brown mackeral tabby and white Domestic Shorthair. Very cute for sure!

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes check if he microchiped first ! Nearly lost gracie the other day and that's what I'd want somebody to do if they found her as she is obviously chipped!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ayisha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I could most definitely be wrong with this as I am not a cat breed expert, but it looks like you have a Domestic Shorthair with a calico coat. Look at those ears!

But I do have a few questions. You said he 'came by a couple of days ago'. I'm assuming you found him by your house. Have you taken him to the vet or to your local animal shelter to see if he has a microchip implant? If he is friendly, that means he is not feral and has been around humans for most/some of his life. He could just have escaped and scanning for a microchip will make it easier to find his owners and return him to them. I also suggest searching up your local Facebook lost and found pets page and either putting a found pet post up or looking through the posts and seeing if anyone has lost a cat matching his description. A Lost pet can be devastating for the owner so you should really try your hardest to find this cat's original home and get him back to his probably grieving owners.
Yes check if he microchiped first ! Nearly lost gracie the other day and that's what I'd want somebody to do if they found her as she is obviously chipped!
Hi!! Thanks so much for your input on the breed lol and yes we are currently searching for his owner he came by Friday, we played with him for a bit but left him outside bc we weren't so sure if it was okay to bring it into the house and we also thought the same thing, he's too friendly to be a feral cat and might belong to someone! He meowed outside the window for hours in the rain :( so we set up an umbrella for him to stay under!!! Saturday we were out for most of the morning and didn't come back home till the afternoon and we found him waiting for us sleeping under our deck furniture lol!! So Saturday we took him to our local animal shelter and they scanned him and found out he was not microchipped or neutered or in this book of lost cats that they have and we decided to let the shelter keep him until Thursday so that they could check and see if he was indeed someone's missing cat AND have him microchipped, given all his shots/vet check up, and neutered!!! And we can pick him up on Thursday for $25 if no one claims him!! I'm so excited and I will probably be posting a lot more on different forums asking for help lol. I am not necessarily a cat person and most of my family doesn't really like cats , but my immediate family loves this one from the extremely friendly behavior he's exhibited so far!! Thanks you guys! And any new owner tips would be gladly appreciated!! :)

Last edited:

Suzy575

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This coat colouration is often referred to as 'Van', he would be a van (Brown Mackerel) tabby- mostly white with tabby patches on head and tail. :)

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!! Thanks so much for your input on the breed lol and yes we are currently searching for his owner he came by Friday, we played with him for a bit but left him outside bc we weren't so sure if it was okay to bring it into the house and we also thought the same thing, he's too friendly to be a feral cat and might belong to someone! He meowed outside the window for hours in the rain :( so we set up an umbrella for him to stay under!!! Saturday we were out for most of the morning and didn't come back home till the afternoon and we found him waiting for us sleeping under our deck furniture lol!! So Saturday we took him to our local animal shelter and they scanned him and found out he was not microchipped or neutered or in this book of lost cats that they have and we decided to let the shelter keep him until Thursday so that they could check and see if he was indeed someone's missing cat AND have him microchipped, given all his shots/vet check up, and neutered!!! And we can pick him up on Thursday for $25 if no one claims him!! I'm so excited and I will probably be posting a lot more on different forums asking for help lol. I am not necessarily a cat person and most of my family doesn't really like cats , but my immediate family loves this one from the extremely friendly behavior he's exhibited so far!! Thanks you guys! And any new owner tips would be gladly appreciated!! :)
Brilliant ! I'm not very good with breeds however his colouring is so cool ! His tail looks like it belongs to another cat ! Please update us and bet you can't wait until Saturday. Sounds like he's too friendly to be a feral however not chipped nor claimed yet so he must have been looking for you for a reason :) Neither hubby nor I come from cat families nor particularly liked them (always had dogs ). Got gracie 6 months ago when she was 6/7 weeks old ! Couldn't live without our princess now and I'm even in a cat website too :flail:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
This coat colouration is often referred to as 'Van', he would be a van (Brown Mackerel) tabby- mostly white with tabby patches on head and tail. :)
But he also has markings on his back leg and a spot on his lower back, that would make him a harlequin bicolor. :winkcat:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Congrats to your new household member! This is alike a Godsent gift. :)

Re tips for new cat owners, its probably better you ask at some other, more suitable of our Subforums. :)

loonieluna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Whoops, I warned you that I was no expert in cat breeds and patterns! Sorry for causing any confusion though! I'm so glad to hear that you did get him scanned for a microchip and did everything you could to make sure he had a chance to find his potential owner! Cats are truly a gift and you should feel so lucky this little fella picked you to take care of him and love him!