Stray Cat Tested Positive For Fline Aids. Should I Be Worried

rogue22912

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There was the stray cat in my neighborhood that I brought inside they only stayed in our spare bathroom I took him in today to get nurtured and he tested positive for feline aids. I found him a home before I took him in to get nurtured and the new owner picked him up from that. She called me and told me. I have 5 cats in my house should I be worried that they now have it. after the stray left I didn't close the bathroom door and so my cats might have went in there to drink out of the bowl or use the litter box that was in there. I am going to take them to get tested sometime soon. I just wanted to know if I put them at risk or if its postible that my cats now have it. Sorry I am flipping out a little.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet said that it's rather hard to pass on feline AIDS; basically it happens during cat fights. If your cats weren't bitten they're almost certainly okay, though if you're at all uncertain you should definitely have them tested.

Margret

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I second what Margret Margret said that it is hard to pass on feline AIDS except through direct bite wounds. Feline AIDS is spread mainly through cat fights, direct transfer through puncture wounds.

I rescued 5 tiny kittens from a very Feline AIDS positive mother. None of the kittens tested positive. I was advised to retest the kittens about a month later as sometimes antibodies develop later. I retested them actually 3 times, each a month apart and all negative.

Feline Leukemia, on the other hand is a different story, more transferable through direct contact, sharing of water bowls etc.

I would not be unduly worried about the minimal contact your own cats had with this positive stray, if there was no bite wound sustained on any of your cats.

For peace of mind, you might want to get your cats tested in about a month. Your vet could advise on proper time.