Stray Cat Surgery! Kittens Missing

Mabo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found a pregnant stray cat and brought her to my workplace (school) so she can have food, water and a warm place to care for her kittens. 2 weeks ago she gave birth to 3 kittens. A few days ago the kittens went missing. The cat still had wet teats and showed signs she was nursing so I know the kittens are safe and alive.

Today I found the cat limping in pain not able to move much. I called a vet and the vet said she needed her paw urgently operated on. We took her for her surgery and have looked all over the school and we cannot find the kittens! I am getting so stressed, I spoke to the vet and the cat can be discharged in 2 hours. I will take her to the school as fast as I can however this will be 9 hours after we saw the cat hurt. Potentially the kittens have not eaten for a minimum of 9 hours!

Is there anything we can do? I am so so stressed.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Assuming the kittens are alive, at two weeks they shouldn't be mobile enough to get into too much trouble. Assuming their nest is safe and warm, the 9 hours won't kill them. You should follow her at a distance though and try to find them. The whole family should be brought into a safe enclosed space until the kittens are old enough.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will she be awake enough to release already? Don't release her if she isn't 100%.

The kittens should start squalling when they get hungry. Keep an ear out for them, go into various buildings and make a purr-meow sound like mama cats make, see if you can get a response from them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mabo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We tried making the mother cat noise but we couldnt hear anything. Keep in mind this is a big school. They could be anywhere. Good news the vet called we can pick mother cat in half an hour. I hope she is alert. I will drop her off and follow her. Hopefully we can find the kittens alive and warm!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Healthy kittens will manage this, unless in some extra distress.
In nature momma must often leave them to find food.
We tried making the mother cat noise but we couldnt hear anything. Keep in mind this is a big school. They could be anywhere. Good news the vet called we can pick mother cat in half an hour. I hope she is alert. I will drop her off and follow her. Hopefully we can find the kittens alive and warm!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mabo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, good news! We found the kittens healthy and put in a box high up on steps. We moved them to a safe area where noone can disturb them! Thank you for your help :)

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, good news! We found the kittens healthy and put in a box high up on steps. We moved them to a safe area where noone can disturb them! Thank you for your help :)
I'm so glad to hear this! Is the mama back from the vet and with the kittens?

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your good news. Can't you bring them under cover away from the cold weather? It is very important that little kitties are kept warm. Is their mom well enough to feed them?

Last edited: