Stray cat sprayed outside my door, kitten inside.

snowkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, ugh. so I came into my living room and immediately I could smell the horrible stench of cat urine coming for somewhere. I thought it was my 4 month old kitten who had an accident, or that he sprayed (he's never done it before so I prayed to God he didn't ), but I found him hiding behind the toilet in my bathroom. So I went around the living room trying to find out where the smell was coming from and I found it came from the door. So I opened the door and well there it was, a big wet spot against the door and floor. I have no idea how it happened bc I have a black screen set up. So I don't know how it got my door wet and the screen didn't. Now I'm really annoyed bc my kitten keeps smelling it and I've already tried cleaning it with enzyme cleaner, but I ran out, and it still reeks of cat urine. What do I do? Will my kitten start spraying now since he smelled it? I'm getting him fixed soon, so he's still intact.

Is there any way to get the smell out? I've ran out of enzyme cleaner, and I can't go out and buy any right now since it's almost 1 in the morning. Please help 😭 the smell is terrible. I've dealt with cat urine before from my cousin's cat who had accidents a lot, but this is so much worse. I've never had a personal vendetta against a stray 😭😭

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snowkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I should mention, I have a mail slot on my door so the smell got in through there. I've already soaked the slot in enzyme cleaner but it still smells.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK...first, get more enzyme cleaner. It is the only thing that will destroy the smell entirely. Next, look on Amazon or another supplier for motion-activated compressed air cans. They are kinda expensive, but not outrageously so. You'll want two of them. Place them on either side of and about a foot in front of the door itself. When that cat comes up, he'll get a blast of air right in his face, and will quickly take his business elsewhere. It will not harm him in the least, only annoy him to no end.

snowkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK...first, get more enzyme cleaner. It is the only thing that will destroy the smell entirely. Next, look on Amazon or another supplier for motion-activated compressed air cans. They are kinda expensive, but not outrageously so. You'll want two of them. Place them on either side of and about a foot in front of the door itself. When that cat comes up, he'll get a blast of air right in his face, and will quickly take his business elsewhere. It will not harm him in the least, only annoy him to no end.
Hi , ok I ordered some enzyme cleaner on Amazon, hopefully it comes in early today, it is the anti icky poo enzyme cleaner which I heard is supposed to be really good. After cleaning it with the little bit of enzyme cleaner I had left, I could still smell it so I got some apple cider vinegar and sprayed it all over the outside of the door and the inside bc it reeked. It seemed to help and this morning, the smell is pretty much gone.. but my cat still goes to sniff around it occasionally. I've blocked the door with some stuff so hopefully he doesn't continue smelling it. Just worried that it'll trigger his instinct to spray too.

Thank you for replying btw !

snowkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, I live in an apartment so idk if I would be able to set up those cans since someone might steal them (I live in a not so great area). Do you think spraying some cat repellant would help? I've seen some cat repellant sprays online

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess since it is an apartment motion activated sprinklers are a no go. Have you talked to the apartment manager about their stray cat problem & how pee got inside the door?

Are you able to harness train your cat, so your cat can mark the bushes outside your building? I live in an apartment to, but I’m on the bottom floor with a patio. So my guy starts from my/his patio during his daily walks & outside time. He takes great pride in marking under the bushes a bit away from his “territory”.

My next best idea would be to get in touch with local TNR groups to help control your spray problem. However it is possible that the spraying cat belongs to a neighbor.

snowkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess since it is an apartment motion activated sprinklers are a no go. Have you talked to the apartment manager about their stray cat problem & how pee got inside the door?

Are you able to harness train your cat, so your cat can mark the bushes outside your building? I live in an apartment to, but I’m on the bottom floor with a patio. So my guy starts from my/his patio during his daily walks & outside time. He takes great pride in marking under the bushes a bit away from his “territory”.

My next best idea would be to get in touch with local TNR groups to help control your spray problem. However it is possible that the spraying cat belongs to a neighbor.
The urine didn't exactly get inside my door, but the smell did, since I have a mail slot, I guess the smell was so strong it got in through there.

I haven't taken my kitten outside for walks yet since I was waiting to get him fixed before I took him outside. And I'm not sure if he would spray since he's never done it before (he's 4.5 months rn), and he's pretty scared of the outdoors.

And that is a good idea, about the TNR. However, I live in a city/county where the TNR program has been put on hold since last year. (It's an ongoing issue right now since the animal care center here doesn't want to resume the program even though there is a big stray problem everywhere and this past year has been one of the worst kitten seasons yet).

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy was neutered around the same age your boy currently us. He still sits when he marks but oh boy does he mark! Also some spayed female cats will pee standing up. The point is, it will allow him to own outside your building instead of peeing inappropriately inside your building. Cats smell as well as a dog. Your cat’s territory is currently under attack and this really stresses some poor cats out!

I started harness training Jackie at 2 months, he was outside in a harness sometimes at 3 months & taking walks every day in his harness at 3.5 months, before he got neutered at 4.5 months old.So once your boy is harness trained inside, you can take him outside. It may be easier to carry him (in a crate?cat stroller?) through your building then trying to walk your cat through the building. Though I have walked Jackie through my floor of the building, he is more nervous inside. Plus I leave my door propped open a bit with the dead bolt when I walk him inside, so he can always run home. When he is outside, I leave my sliding glass door open. That way he can always run to safety.

My cat has an ongoing ‘beef’ with another cat in my apartment building. She tries to kick his behind every time she sees him; so we keep them at least 10-20 feet apart at all times (both are on a harness.). If she marks in the bushes by my apartment, then he will mark under the bushes closer to her apartment. Here he is, having a blast as he rolls around in her favorite roll in the dirt spot. I swear he is gloating! 🤣

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also, I live in an apartment so idk if I would be able to set up those cans since someone might steal them (I live in a not so great area). Do you think spraying some cat repellant would help? I've seen some cat repellant sprays online
I would certainly try the repellant. The worst it will do is not work at all.