Stray Cat Scratch

lynne8832

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!
How concerning is a scratch from a stray cat in regards to rabies transmission? I had my stray cat TNR'd about 1 month ago. The other day I accidentally startled him when I went to refill his dry food and he swatted at my hand and scratched me - it was bleeding, so I washed it out with some soap and cold water and put neosporin and a bandaid on it. It is healing up well, but do I need to be concerned about rabies from a scratch?
Thanks in advance! :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Generally? No. There is of course, always a risk but it's so small it isn't any concern. Plus you haven't noticed any illness in the cat and would know if the cat shows illness in the next few days.

The biggest risk with cat scratches if honestly infection. Keep it clean and treat it as a more serious cut then it looks. I generally clean the spot a few times a day and put a thin layer of neosporin on it. Cat nails can have a lot of bacteria and tend to puncture rather then just scratch. Don't hesitate to see your doctor if the wound gets redder.

I do get scratched fairly frequently, never on purpose but with three cats it happenes accidentally at least a few times a year (more frequently when younger). But I've also know people who get cat scratch fever. Take it serious but don't overreact.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lynne8832

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Generally? No. There is of course, always a risk but it's so small it isn't any concern. Plus you haven't noticed any illness in the cat and would know if the cat shows illness in the next few days.

The biggest risk with cat scratches if honestly infection. Keep it clean and treat it as a more serious cut then it looks. I generally clean the spot a few times a day and put a thin layer of neosporin on it. Cat nails can have a lot of bacteria and tend to puncture rather then just scratch. Don't hesitate to see your doctor if the wound gets redder.

I do get scratched fairly frequently, never on purpose but with three cats it happenes accidentally at least a few times a year (more frequently when younger). But I've also know people who get cat scratch fever. Take it serious but don't overreact.
Thank you so much! I’ve been cleaning out the scratch with soap and water daily and it’s almost fully healed - it’s not red at all and isn’t showing any signs of infection.
My main concern was rabies, but I assume that is unlikely given that he was vaccinated about 5 weeks ago during his TNR appointment. He comes by every few days, so hopefully I will see him in the next few days for reassurance. I just wasn’t sure if I needed to go get rabies vaccines, but it seems like the risk is pretty low.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am just going to add here that cat scratch fever is a real disease. I actually contracted it about a year ago from one of my own indoor cats after a huge flea problem emerged and he was diagnosed as carrying bartonella. If you notice that in a few days a pustule or open sore develops in the area of the scratch, that would be an indication that you possibly should get some antibiotics. It will usually go to the closest lymph gland, and you may run a fever. It is absolutely treatable, but most people don’t realize that it is an actual condition.

lynne8832

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am just going to add here that cat scratch fever is a real disease. I actually contracted it about a year ago from one of my own indoor cats after a huge flea problem emerged and he was diagnosed as carrying bartonella. If you notice that in a few days a pustule or open sore develops in the area of the scratch, that would be an indication that you possibly should get some antibiotics. It will usually go to the closest lymph gland, and you may run a fever. It is absolutely treatable, but most people don’t realize that it is an actual condition.
Thank you so much for this! The scratch is completely healed now - I also saw Monty 8 days after he scratched me when he came by for food, so I assume that means that the scratch was not a rabies risk. Thanks again for your advice!

lynne8832

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, Monty has been gone for another 4 days. Every time he does this, it makes me so anxious and every time, he has shown back up. He was last here on Friday and he has not come by at all over the weekend or today. There are two other stray cats that have been coming by every few days, but they have come by a few times before, so I don't think that Monty is avoiding coming back because of them. I am leaving food out hoping that he will come by, but the other cats and possums have been eating it. I just keep reminding myself that he does this every few weeks and he is most likely just hanging out somewhere else, but I can't help but worry about cars, coyotes, etc., but I think that he has been living in the area for long enough to know to avoid the road or other potential dangers. It also seems like this is common for stray cats during the spring and summer - to disappear for days or weeks at a time and then return again. Hopefully he will show up in the next few days so that I know he is ok :)