Stray cat moved its kittens to my backyard

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Didn’t you say that mom and kittens came inside to eat? If so, that’s when you keep them inside instead of allowing them back outside. They will adjust.

Sorry to hear about all the trauma. Did you have an agreement in place with the shelter people that you would be the foster before they came out? If not, that is why they made other arrangements for the kittens.

Hobiflowery

Minnie
Young Cat
Purraise
Didn’t you say that mom and kittens came inside to eat? If so, that’s when you keep them inside instead of allowing them back outside. They will adjust.

Sorry to hear about all the trauma. Did you have an agreement in place with the shelter people that you would be the foster before they came out? If not, that is why they made other arrangements for the kittens.
I think they probably didn't all came at the same time :( Really hope he gets them back, its awful that they went right over his head. He would be the best foster Option because they all can stay together with mom and they already know him, not another new scary place with new scary people

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FelinesFriends

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
AMAZING update.

After applying to be an official foster home “for my kittens” I got a wonderful call from the Director of the cat rescue that I’ve been working with. Not only have I been allowed to go pick up the two incredible kitties that I’m totally in love with, but as their new official foster home (future adopter), this organization is so awesome they are even helping to pay for kitten food, cat litter, and gave me a “bag of goodies” for the kittens that’s filled with food and toys.

This has been an absolute roller coaster ride for me, and I’m currently on Cloud9.:cloud9: The two that I have been reconnected with are both boys, “official” birthday at 5/04/2023 which puts them at about 7 weeks old. I even got to sign up for their Slack channel so I can communicate with others in the organization for ideas, advice, and tips to work through the next 5 weeks socializing the kittens. I believe week 12 is the generally accepted time when it can become 10x more difficult to socialize – so there is plenty of time.

When I went to pick them up they were in a small bathroom (a bit stuffy on a hot day), cuddled in fear next to their two sisters. I wore clothes that the momma cat had been rubbing against all day while purring at me. When I stuck my hand in the soft kitten cave that they were all huddled in, the two I want to adopt immediately jumped out and were rubbing on he very happy.:lol2:

We gave them their first round of shots, anti-flea medicine, and dewormer. Taking all the precautions. I got them home about 5pm (it’s 1:20am now), and put them inside one of my bathrooms where it is very safe and gives them some room to roam around. After about an hour letting them settle down I snuck in for a peak.

Surprisingly, the one I originally wanted to adopt was still somewhat reserved but definitely curious about the smells in my shirt and shirts. The other kitten immediately ran up to me and began rubbing his face and behind his ears on my hand. Then began purring VERY loud. :hugs: Almost aggressively loving me. Then The One followed suit and jumped on my lap snuggling with me. I stayed there for 20-30 minutes hanging out with them. I haven’t been this love-attacked since last time I had kittens, 15 years ago.:yess: I can’t stop smiling and I’m in 7th Heaven at the moment. This is the BEST night ever!!!

Hobiflowery

Minnie
Young Cat
Purraise
AMAZING update.

After applying to be an official foster home “for my kittens” I got a wonderful call from the Director of the cat rescue that I’ve been working with. Not only have I been allowed to go pick up the two incredible kitties that I’m totally in love with, but as their new official foster home (future adopter), this organization is so awesome they are even helping to pay for kitten food, cat litter, and gave me a “bag of goodies” for the kittens that’s filled with food and toys.

This has been an absolute roller coaster ride for me, and I’m currently on Cloud9.:cloud9: The two that I have been reconnected with are both boys, “official” birthday at 5/04/2023 which puts them at about 7 weeks old. I even got to sign up for their Slack channel so I can communicate with others in the organization for ideas, advice, and tips to work through the next 5 weeks socializing the kittens. I believe week 12 is the generally accepted time when it can become 10x more difficult to socialize – so there is plenty of time.

When I went to pick them up they were in a small bathroom (a bit stuffy on a hot day), cuddled in fear next to their two sisters. I wore clothes that the momma cat had been rubbing against all day while purring at me. When I stuck my hand in the soft kitten cave that they were all huddled in, the two I want to adopt immediately jumped out and were rubbing on he very happy.:lol2:

We gave them their first round of shots, anti-flea medicine, and dewormer. Taking all the precautions. I got them home about 5pm (it’s 1:20am now), and put them inside one of my bathrooms where it is very safe and gives them some room to roam around. After about an hour letting them settle down I snuck in for a peak.

Surprisingly, the one I originally wanted to adopt was still somewhat reserved but definitely curious about the smells in my shirt and shirts. The other kitten immediately ran up to me and began rubbing his face and behind his ears on my hand. Then began purring VERY loud. :hugs: Almost aggressively loving me. Then The One followed suit and jumped on my lap snuggling with me. I stayed there for 20-30 minutes hanging out with them. I haven’t been this love-attacked since last time I had kittens, 15 years ago.:yess: I can’t stop smiling and I’m in 7th Heaven at the moment. This is the BEST night ever!!!
I'm so happy to hear you got the babies back and I'm sure mama cat will be as well to see that her littles ones are safe. Thank you for not giving up on it! The two you will keep clearly already bonded with you and it's beautiful that they make you so happy 😊 Did you get the two sisters as well?

FelinesFriends

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m also getting praise from the group, as a 39 year old man, as apparently most foster homes are women-led. Lots of animal loving cat women out there who are thrilled to see men beginning to step up to the plate and take in these wonderful stray kittens. It means so much for me to be able to help, and I’m so glad to have such a strong group of animals lovers helping me through all of this. Including all of you here!! All of it means so much to me and I can’t thank you all enough :rock:

After we catch the final 3 kittens, I’ll have officially saved 7 kittens from certain death or at the very least a short, difficult life.

Because I still have the 3 stray kittens to catch, as well as the mom to spay and return, what are your thoughts on letting the mom see the two kittens I’ll be adopting but that are held in my bathroom? Could a reintroduction too soon cause issues with me trying to earn their love as their new primary caretaker?

FelinesFriends

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy to hear you got the babies back and I'm sure mama cat will be as well to see that her littles ones are safe. Thank you for not giving up on it! The two you will keep clearly already bonded with you and it's beautiful that they make you so happy 😊 Did you get the two sisters as well?
I’m very glad I didn’t give up. This outcome would have never happened had I simply gave up.

The two sisters are still at the other foster home, but I would be more than happy to take them in and help socialize them before adoption should the need arise. The home they’re currently staying at is very cat friendly. It seems like she is taking extra precautions keeping them in the small bathroom to help them acclimate to a new environment. She may also be the receiver of the next and final 3 kittens I catch. She has several rooms that are essential set up as a staging group, so when kittens graduate from the bathroom they get moved to a larger kitten sanctuary with more toys and things to climb on.

Hobiflowery

Minnie
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m also getting praise from the group, as a 39 year old man, as apparently most foster homes are women-led. Lots of animal loving cat women out there who are thrilled to see men beginning to step up to the plate and take in these wonderful stray kittens. It means so much for me to be able to help, and I’m so glad to have such a strong group of animals lovers helping me through all of this. Including all of you here!! All of it means so much to me and I can’t thank you all enough :rock:

After we catch the final 3 kittens, I’ll have officially saved 7 kittens from certain death or at the very least a short, difficult life.

Because I still have the 3 stray kittens to catch, as well as the mom to spay and return, what are your thoughts on letting the mom see the two kittens I’ll be adopting but that are held in my bathroom? Could a reintroduction too soon cause issues with me trying to earn their love as their new primary caretaker?
Yes it is true that when it comes to cat rescues it's mostly women but men are definitely very welcome too, basically everyone who loves animals is! its definitely nice to see more men like you taking part in things like this. My stepdad is very loved by the cat rescue where my parents help out as well 😊

And totally agree, I just recently joined this site and everyone is extremely sweet and willing to give advice and help. I guess we just all are big cat lovers here 🐈

I personally would let them rejoin if the mom will stay around longer but I could imagine it being confusing if she will be returned soon again. If you do let them see each other again, don't be worried if their main focus at first will be mom again, after all they didn't see her for a short while and it most likely will be comforting for them. However I do think it could help them too feeling more safe with you the more they see that their mother feels that way with you. I do think you are off to a great start with the two boys and that the bonding goes really well!

Hobiflowery

Minnie
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m very glad I didn’t give up. This outcome would have never happened had I simply gave up.

The two sisters are still at the other foster home, but I would be more than happy to take them in and help socialize them before adoption should the need arise. The home they’re currently staying at is very cat friendly. It seems like she is taking extra precautions keeping them in the small bathroom to help them acclimate to a new environment. She may also be the receiver of the next and final 3 kittens I catch. She has several rooms that are essential set up as a staging group, so when kittens graduate from the bathroom they get moved to a larger kitten sanctuary with more toys and things to climb on.
I am glad to hear that they are in good hands, wether you choose to foster all or just keep your two boys, I'm sure both are a good option.😊 What are the plans for the mother? I'm sorry if you already answered that and I missed it 😅

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is fantastic news. I am so happy for you. Good luck with mom and the other kittens.