Stray cat mom and kittens

annasmithlollllllllllllll

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys, I just found out that a cat mon and her 3 babies are staying in my neighbour's unoccupied house. The yard more precisely.
I have her some food and water. She was skinny and extremely hungry.
Fortunately the kittens seem healthy (around 5 weeks)
The mom lets me pet her and is quite cuddly, but not enough as to climb on my lap or anything.
As for the kittens, they are extremely scared.
They hide under rocks and when they come out and see me, they rush back in. Any kind of movement, even soundless, scares them.
What can I do to help them?
Should I just wait for them to get used?
What do I do?
I work and get home after 5.30 pm.
Any advice will be extremely helpful

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Are you able to take the whole family in and care for them until the kittens can be rehomed? If the mother is friendly it should be easy enough to get them socialized, but you will need a small room to keep the whole family in while you do this. A spare room or bathroom is fine.

Keep giving them food and water in the same place and at the same time every day. Cats learn schedules very quickly. You'll be able to trap the whole family using a humane trap or a drop trap. At 5 weeks old the kittens will soon get used to being around people.

Thank you for trying to help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

annasmithlollllllllllllll

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you able to take the whole family in and care for them until the kittens can be rehomed? If the mother is friendly it should be easy enough to get them socialized, but you will need a small room to keep the whole family in while you do this. A spare room or bathroom is fine.

Keep giving them food and water in the same place and at the same time every day. Cats learn schedules very quickly. You'll be able to trap the whole family using a humane trap or a drop trap. At 5 weeks old the kittens will soon get used to being around people.

Thank you for trying to help.
I can take care of them.
Do you think ill be able to get them socialized where they are right now?
Or should I try by any means to get them inside ?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It is possible to socialize cats and kittens outside, but at 5 weeks old they are incredibly vulnerable. They could get picked up by predators, get separated from their mother and get lost, they could pick up parasites or diseases that would be fatal to them at that age. They'll really stand a much better chance indoors.

Have you ever used a human trap before? Kitten Lady has some good videos on her channel. This first one is about using the kittens to entice a feral mother into a trap, but it works both ways. You can get kittens by having the mother go into a trap or carrier first of all.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, I just found out that a cat mon and her 3 babies are staying in my neighbour's unoccupied house. The yard more precisely.
I have her some food and water. She was skinny and extremely hungry.
Fortunately the kittens seem healthy (around 5 weeks)
The mom lets me pet her and is quite cuddly, but not enough as to climb on my lap or anything.
As for the kittens, they are extremely scared.
They hide under rocks and when they come out and see me, they rush back in. Any kind of movement, even soundless, scares them.
What can I do to help them?
Should I just wait for them to get used?
What do I do?
I work and get home after 5.30 pm.
Any advice will be extremely helpful
I could not agree more with Norachan Norachan .... PLEASE bring this little family inside

The socializing is easy peasy with kittens and even easier than that with a sweet lovey Mama like this one..... there's just too much danger,life threatening danger outside ❤