stray cat lands home!

kyrstint

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! I'm new here and new (mostly) to the world of cats. Typically, I consider myself more of a "dog" person, but I think really I'm just an animal person. I love all kinds of animals that are friendly and cuddly and when my husband told me there was a litter of kittens in our window well, I was worried. However, we'd been thinking about adding a kitty to our family. We watched them for about a day to make sure Mom didn't come back. We called the no-kill shelter in town and they came to get three of the kittens, but kept this little girl.

Her name is Artemis! (Mostly we call her Artie.) :) I'm having trouble figuring out if she will be long-haired or short-haired and am also curious about her color. Her eyes are a hazel color which you might now be able to tell because she is snoozing here.

Aside from the spot of reddish brown/red on the inside of her foot and a bit on her nose, she doesn't have it anywhere else. Just wondering what color you guys would call her. Also, She seems to have some long and short hairs in her coat. The end of some of her gray colored fur has a bit of white on it. 

Thanks for your help! So far she's being very loving, playful, and healthy. She's about 7 or 8 weeks at our estimate. She will be heading to the vet sometime in the next week to make sure everything really is okay and to get scheduled to be spayed in a few months. 

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Now that is one gorgeous kitten. :heart3:

She is going to be short haired. The longer hairs you can see in her coat is just her kitten fluff. She will lose this as she matures :D

She would be classed as a brown mackerel tabby. Her tabby patten is very well defined and it looks like she is going to end up as a very warm almost red shade of brown.

Brown tabbies can be any shade of brown from a warm shade that looks almost red to a colder shade that looks almost silver/grey.

Most cats with the warmer red brown color are born with the colder silver color and has they get older the warmer brown starts to come though. This starts showing on their face, feet and legs first, then spreading though the rest of their coat. This sound like what is happening to your girl with the red on her nose.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kyrstint

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm glad she will have short hair. I know she'll shed no matter what, but hopefully no more than her big sister, a lab mix. We're having trouble sexing her. I'm hoping the vet can help here, too. I'm pretty sure she's a girl, but today... she seemed to look more male. I'm excited to continue watching her mature and grow, especially her coloring. :) 

Thanks for your help!