Stray Cat Keeps Meowing

channeltools

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, there was a stray cat we think someone left in our complex. We were feeding it for about two weeks and then the weather started getting cold. The cat, do not know if male or female, let me pat it and even followed me around when i was getting it food. But it constantly meowed when I talked to it. We caught the cat and it is in our spare room. There is someone who is interested in taking it in but is on vacation. I have it for a few days but the cat hides under the side table in the room but is eating peeing and pooping. Why does it constantly meow when I go in and talk to it? Also, can a stray pass anything to humans. I had cats when I was younger and they were out all day and only came home to eat and sleep then went out again. We never caught anything from them. Husband is worried. We also have chinchillas and I do not want to transfer anything to them. Thanks

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless the cat has a bad case of worms or fleas,he/she shouldn't cause any health issues. Highly unlikely. Get a cardboard box for him.The cat will eventually get his confidence up and stop meowing so much. When he stops,bring out some wand toys and treats.

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good advice already given. The kitty is meowing to communicate with you. Kitty talk. It may have belonged to someone before. It sounds like it misses having companionship but is a little nervous. I am so glad you have rescued it! I would suggest that you keep talking to it. I think that will help it to settle down. Imagine if you were lonely and a little scared. You would want to talk to someone too. If the kitty is still hiding you really don’t need to worry about worms either as long as you wash your hands well after cleaning up after it. I have handled many dozens of rescued kitties and have never caught anything. I not only handled them but got a few scratches, cleaned after them and had them living in my home ( sometimes for months) without having any risk to my health. I would keep it in a separate room from the Chinchillas, just to be cautious. Thank you for rescuing the kitty. As someone who does that a lot, I am always grateful to others who step in to help another living creature. I wish everyone would do what you have done. It would end animals suffering needlessly. :clap2::rock: Post back if you need any more information. TCS is a great place and many people here will be glad to offer you assistance.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even if the cat has parasites, you just need to be hygienic when cleaning the litter box. Be sure and wash your hands afterwards. When kitty goes to the vet, the vet may give him a de-wormer.

The meowing is actually a good sign, it likely means he is sociable and wants attention. Spend as much time as possible with him. Provide him with catnip toys. Also, if he or she isn't neutered or spayed, they sometimes vocalize because they want to get out and mate. When kitty is adopted by the new owner, a trip to the vet is recommended and kitty should be fixed if s/he hasn't been already.

When cats are sick, they are usually quiet, withdrawn, and have loss of appetite it sounds like you have a healthy kitty who just needs time to adjust to his new life. I know the meowing can be annoying, but he will settle down in time.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
If you want to improve your communication with this kitty, get a long handled spoon and meat baby food..start giving kitty a spoonful at a time and that will help the bonding. Have the new person who will be adopting kitty do the same. This will improve bonding between you guys.

The meowing is a good sign. If they hide and don't meow then you know they are scared. A meowing kitty means they want to play or be cuddled or just want companionship with you.

The diseasr thing is also an old wives tale. Worms would be the only thing you have to be worried about and thats easy to treat. If you have a local vet call and ask about this to see what they say. Fleas could be another issue but that's easily treated with a vet approved spot treatment like revolution...which by the way kills most worms too. Revolution also kills ticks from what my vet said but they dont kill the ticks here. We use bravecto (sp?) And that lasts 3 months. It's not cheap but for stubborn flea and ticks that's what we use here.

Do you have any pictures of the new baby?