Stray Cat just had kittens. Questions

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow.  8 weeks already.  They grow up so fast. 
   They are all adorable and do look like different little versions of Mama Claire.  Glad you are able to keep them all.

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Checkers I forgot to mention that Chex has a nickname now and believe it or not it is Checkers!! My dh is the one who seems inclined to come up with alternate names for every person and animal in our home, and he started calling her Checkers last week...lol..
Well, what a coincidence, @Jeapa507!  That's great. Funny about how names come about and nicknames so often develop.  (It's very common here in Australia. Goes back generations.)  I like your DH's renaming habits.

Not sure if I mentioned how my stray mother got the name of Checkers.  I was going through name options one night with my mother, and suggested something way too long and a bit silly. My mother's reply was something like, "you can't call her thtat, you might as well call her Czechoslovakia".  I thought her response was funny, and my stray became 'Checkers'.

I hope Checkers and Mr Gato are giving you lots of cuddles!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The spay/neuter clinic called me this morning to confirm Claire's appointment tomorrow and I ended up having to reschedule. They told me that her milk has to dried up before they will do the surgery?? I was told that I need to make sure the kittens aren't allowed to nurse at all for at least 2 weeks. I've never heard this before and I questioned why and said that I had thought the kittens could even nurse after the surgery. The technician on the phone told me that if the kittens are eating well I should stop them from nursing now as they don't need to anymore.

What are your thoughts on this? They also told me that I would need to bring her in a trap if I couldn't be sure that she wouldn't bite them. Well I can't guarantee that and all I have is a crate so I need to track down a trap. I rescheduled her appointment for September 24th. I hope she won't go back into heat before then. Sarthur2 Sarthur2

magiksgirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@Jeapa507  That's very strange. My momma cat had her sterilization surgery when she her kittens were 2 months old. We had no problems with her surgery and the kittens even nursed until about 5 months old! 

The vet had told me that it would be best if her milk was dry before operating on her, but I don't know if he operated so she wouldn't go into heat again in spite of her milk or if it was not a big deal.

My vet said nothing about a trap. I mean, you know your kitty, if you're unsure if she will bite the vet, you can use a collar while she's inside the carried and a leash (which is recommended anyway) so she doesn't run away. Could they have possibly meant "carrier" instead of "trap"? Seems strange a vet would ask all of this.... oh, I just noticed you spoke to the "technician". In my experience, technicians recite the requirements of the vet but don't usually (not all) have the broader picture in mind. I'm not sure how things work where you are, but I recommend you request to speak to the vet and not the technician so you can explain the situation. I've had a couple of situations where the assistants give me certain information which, to me doesn't make sense, so I request the vet if he's available, and things are quite different.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need to call another vet's office.

My cat was spayed when her kittens were 8 weeks old. It was the end of her first post-partum heat cycle. She was still nursing and continued to nurse for weeks afterward, including the day she came home from surgery. I did not want her dried up, but I wanted her spayed.

You don't need a trap. That's ridiculous. They must have the impression she's feral, which she's not, and want to be able to sedate her through the wires. She's a house cat now.

Vets can spay with an incision in between the mammary glands so they are not disturbed.

I suggest you call around.

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Jeapa507, I would definitely try another vet. I suspect the technician has it wrong, and perhaps thinks Claire is feral, but even so, I wouldn't want technicians giving out that advice to be involved with my cat's care.

My vet wanted to spay my lactating stray cat, as he was concerned she would fall pregnant again.  He said she could continue to feed the kittens after the surgery.  

Looking forward to hearing how you get on.  

lanini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I love this story of Claire and the kittens.  They all are beautiful.  This is exactly how I got 4 more cats.  Mama Kitty was a pregnant feral due to be trapped, spayed and released (We did not know she was pregnant, just trying to control the feral population).  2 days before her appointment she came close to me and was rubbing on my leg.  I felt that she was pregnant.  I grabbed a hold of her by her neck and brought her into a spare bedroom.  A day later she had 3 kittens.  The kittens will be 4 years old on October 2nd and Mama Kitty never went back outdoors.  I love the fact that I have had these babies since birth.  My vet spayed her when the babies were 8 weeks old.  My only regret was having Mama Kitty's ear clipped.  Our intentions were to release her back outdoors.  She was too sweet go back outside.

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for confirming what I thought was bad information. This is a spay/neuter clinic and they deal with a lot of feral cats and I think as soon as I mentioned that Claire was a stray they automatically assumed she was wild. The day I was called I was at work and did not have time to really get into an in-depth discussion so I just went ahead and rescheduled. I called my regular vet yesterday and he is almost positive that who ever I spoke with assumed that Claire had had more than 2 kittens and therefore may have more milk. He told me it is true that some vets make this request, but he felt Claire would be fine as she only has 2 kittens and they are not nursing much anymore. I plan to call the clinic back on Tuesday and request to speak to the vet. I have no plans to separate Claire from her kittens and I want to hear what he has to say. If the conversation is favorable I will keep her appointment on the 24th, otherwise I will get her into my vet.

I don't want to give the impression that I don't want to spend what is necessary on Claire, but the price difference for the spay and vaccinations at my vet versus the clinic is huge -  $250 versus $75. I would prefer to save my money for any unforeseen emergencies or illness that would require her or the kittens to need to see my vet. The kittens will get their first vaccines and worming on the 11th.

On a different note I had a huge victory with Claire this week. She likes to drink water from the kitchen faucet so I leave it running and when she is finished I shut it off. Usually she will jump down right away, but this time she decided to hang out on the counter. I was cooking dinner and needed her off the counter so I decided this was the day that I was just going to go over there and pick her up like it was something I do everyday. I took some calming breaths and confidently walked over there and picked her up and she was absolutely fine!!! She acted like being in my arms was the most natural place for her to be. I can't tell you how happy this made me to know that she trusts me enough to allow this.

Ok this post is getting longer than I intended. I'll finish with the kittens 9 week photos @sarthur2  @Checkers  @Handsome Kitty  and all please enjoy. I am sorry if I have posted too many, but it was hard to decide which ones to include.

Claire testing out the new cat tree. She approves.

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Never too many photos, @Jeapa507.  Those kittens belong in a cat calendar. The photos are priceless.

Is that Claire in the box of the new cat tree?

So pleased to hear Claire trusts you now to pick her up. That's exciting progress.  And it's also great to hear you've got more information now about the vet's advice and are heading in the right direction. That certainly is a price difference you can't ignore, if you talk to the vet there and decide Claire is in safe, gentle hands.

Thanks for such wonderful photos.  The last one would have to be my favourite!  Such fun!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, what adorable kittens! So fluffy and cute! The pictures do belong in a calendar or holiday card - oh, my! :)

I am glad you have more information now too, and hope the low-cost clinic works out. The procedure is the same but the cost differential is enormous.

I had my mama kitty spayed at my private vet since she is grown and was lactating, as I felt confident they would take excellent care of her. However, I took her four kittens at 12 weeks old to be spayed and neutered at the local Humane Society.

So I did both private and clinic. All the kittens together cost what I paid my vet for just mama kitty, but I was comfortable with my decision. The kittens are 6 months old now and all 5 of them live with me.

I think clinics in general do a great job because they perform dozens of spays and neuters all day every day. They want her dried up because it makes the surgery easier and safer - there are fewer engorged veins to tie off during the procedure.

What a pleasant surprise that Claire was comfortable letting you hold her! I'd say she's accepted her position as resident cat quite well!

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the cat tree.  It looks like the kittens do too.  I'm sure the Christmas tree will also be a big hit.

I hope you took and extra second for a quick hug before you put Claire down.

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love this story of Claire and the kittens.  They all are beautiful.  This is exactly how I got 4 more cats.  Mama Kitty was a pregnant feral due to be trapped, spayed and released (We did not know she was pregnant, just trying to control the feral population).  2 days before her appointment she came close to me and was rubbing on my leg.  I felt that she was pregnant.  I grabbed a hold of her by her neck and brought her into a spare bedroom.  A day later she had 3 kittens.  The kittens will be 4 years old on October 2nd and Mama Kitty never went back outdoors.  I love the fact that I have had these babies since birth.  My vet spayed her when the babies were 8 weeks old.  My only regret was having Mama Kitty's ear clipped.  Our intentions were to release her back outdoors.  She was too sweet go back outside.

That is a lovely story lanini lanini and it does sound similar to Claire's. She is getting sweeter every day and I wouldn't dream of letting her go.

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is hard to believe the kittens are 10 weeks old today! Time sure has flown by and my house is forever changed. My dh is officially a cat lover. I never thought this would happen, but it has been fun watching him open his heart little by little. This past week he asked me if he could change the kittens names as he wasn't satisfied with what we had come up with. He felt that Chex wasn't really fitting for the beautiful little calico, so her forever name is now Mimosa and her brother is Milo, (pronounced MEElow). Claire is becoming the spoiled indoor cat that I hoped she would, and has continued to let me pick her up when I need to move her. She is truly an amazing mother never leaving her kittens for more than a few minutes, always supervising their play and explorations. 

Today I took Milo and Mimosa for their first shots and they both received some de worming medication. They did great and weigh 2.1 pounds each. While I was at the clinic, I spoke to the vet about Claire's upcoming spay surgery on the 24th. She assured me that I didn't have to separate her from the kittens, and a regular crate would be just fine. She thinks the technician just assumed Claire was a feral and had a larger litter.

Milo never skipped a beat and is his normal playful self, but Mimosa has been sleeping all day. My dh was worried tonight when she didn't seem her usual self, but the vet warned me that they may act sleepy for a day or two due to the vaccine. I hope she is back to her normal self in the morning and if not I will put a call into the vet just to be sure. I can't end an update without photos so here they are @sarthur2  , @Checkers   and @Handsome Kitty  

Mimosa found a new toy and Mama Claire must inspect it first before she allows them to play with it.

These two do everything together!!

The highest perch in the room is now the favorite napping spot.

Earlier today, Milo wanted to play, but Mimosa was feeling sleepy.

Last edited:

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Claire is becoming the spoiled indoor cat that I hoped she would, and has continued to let me pick her up when I need to move her. She is truly an amazing mother never leaving her kittens for more than a few minutes, always supervising their play and explorations.
@Jeapa507, congratulations on your win with Claire. That is such good news.  What an amazing mother she is. My stray mother (Checkers) looked after her kittens but would leave them for long periods - I guess she had to to access food - but your Claire is amazingly attentive.

The kittens couldn't look more beautiful, and their new names are great. My kittens used to love the sunny patches inside too, so you have that cat tree perfectly placed.

That photo of Mimosa with her arm around Milo is just so adorable.

Thanks so much for the update. I hope Mimosa is back to her playful self in the next day.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Originally Posted by Checkers  

That photo of Mimosa with her arm around Milo is just so adorable.
Yes, so adorable.  And so glad you, Jeapa507, were able to keep both kittens.  Obviously they are extremely close and it would have been heart-breaking to split them.  And Claire is definitely a sweet, doting mother.   You've got a lovely, little feline family.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow, your husband is on board, and the former Chex and Cheeto are now Milo and Mimosa - what beautiful names! They are not only beautiful; they are too cute for words in your fantastic pictures.

Clearly the vaccine hit little Mimosa hard - vaccines can do that. But hopefully she gets back to herself quickly.

I kept my stray mama and all 4 of her babies (now 6 months old), and it is amazing to watch an intact cat family. They are so close and loving with one another and it never changes. That's mom with Pumpkin in my avatar photo.

I'm glad that Claire has become such a wonderful housecat. You've done a great job with the entire situation :).

Last edited:

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all.  This has been a wonderful experience with a happy ending.

Mimosa seems to be back to normal this morning and was first to greet me when I went into their room with breakfast. 

I love that you kept all of your kittens and the mama @sarthur2  . Did you have any other cats or dogs at the time? What are the names of your cat family? At what age did you allow the kittens full access to your house when you are not home? I keep Claire and her kittens confined to what has become their room until I get home in the evening and at night when we go to bed. This seems to be working out really well and I don't see a good reason to change what is working. They get plenty of interaction with us in the evenings and on the weekends when we are home. The one request of my dh was that our bedroom remain off limits to the cats and I will respect that reasonable request. I don't think the cats seem to mind because I have never heard them fussing to get out of their room and they are usually sleeping when I get home from work and let them out. The biggest issue I have had is keeping my dog from eating the cat food...LOL.. Tinkerbell is free fed and never overeats her food, but for some reason she thinks the cats food, both wet and dry, is better than hers.

@rubysmama  is the cat in your avatar a female? I am curious because I have read that orange cats are mostly male. 

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is hard to believe the kittens are 10 weeks old today! Time sure has flown by and my house is forever changed. My dh is officially a cat lover. I never thought this would happen, but it has been fun watching him open his heart little by little. This past week he asked me if he could change the kittens names as he wasn't satisfied with what we had come up with. He felt that Chex wasn't really fitting for the beautiful little calico, so her forever name is now Mimosa and her brother is Milo, (pronounced MEElow). Claire is becoming the spoiled indoor cat that I hoped she would, and has continued to let me pick her up when I need to move her. She is truly an amazing mother never leaving her kittens for more than a few minutes, always supervising their play and explorations. 

Today I took Milo and Mimosa for their first shots and they both received some de worming medication. They did great and weigh 2.1 pounds each. While I was at the clinic, I spoke to the vet about Claire's upcoming spay surgery on the 24th. She assured me that I didn't have to separate her from the kittens, and a regular crate would be just fine. She thinks the technician just assumed Claire was a feral and had a larger litter.

Milo never skipped a beat and is his normal playful self, but Mimosa has been sleeping all day. My dh was worried tonight when she didn't seem her usual self, but the vet warned me that they may act sleepy for a day or two due to the vaccine. I hope she is back to her normal self in the morning and if not I will put a call into the vet just to be sure. I can't end an update without photos so here they are @sarthur2
 , @Checkers
  and @Handsome Kitty

Mimosa found a new toy and Mama Claire must inspect it first before she allows them to play with it.

These two do everything together!!

The highest perch in the room is now the favorite napping spot.

Earlier today, Milo wanted to play, but Mimosa was feeling sleepy.

Lovely photos. I love the one where one has an arm around the other. You photograph them very well- pictures would make a lovely calendar!