Stray Cat Care - Just the basics, please!

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't want to do a deep dive into this, I never even wanted to go down this road at all, but here it is. A year and a half ago a stray cat "adopted" me when she showed up in my yard, gaunt and needy, and I captured her in a humane trap. I've never been a cat person, never had a cat before in my life, but this little girl just pranced into my life and stole my heart. With her I did all the "right" things, we looked for an owner, put up ads, took her to the vet to scan for a chip. Then we got her dewormed and spayed, and decided to keep her. She now rules our household and I love this cat dearly but I want it to be clear she will be an ONLY CAT. There are several reasons, but this is non-negotiable.

Yesterday I'm looking at the window and see a little orange cat skulking in the yard. He - I'm guessing "he" - was close to our catio where Stella hangs out, so I'm pretty sure he is aware she is there. When I stepped outside to call to him, he squeezed under the fence into our neighbor's yard. I called them and they said yes, they have seen this kitty but don't know who he might belong to. (FWIW, several of our neighbors also saw my Stella when she was a stray, but none of them paid much attention to her, either.)

Anyway, it was cold and rainy yesterday, and I was disturbed thinking about this little cat being out in the elements. We also have a lot of coyotes in the neighborhood and a busy street (this is why I was so intent on rescuing Stella.) I want the simplest solution here - one that does NOT involve TNR or any efforts to capture this kitty. I just want to know the best way to offer protection for the coming winter months. We have a shed in our yard which is actually pretty close to the catio and I could possibly prop open a door and put some bedding in there. If I did that, would the cat likely find it and take shelter there? (We are in Georgia, it doesn't get SUPER cold, but it will go down to the 30s at night in the winter.)

What is the best way to leave food out on a regular basis so that the cat gets it rather than possums, raccoons, coyotes, etc.?

I don't want to become the neighborhood Cat Rescue - I just can't! - but I also can't leave this kitty uncared for.

PS...if I am able to get a photo, I will post it on Next Door, but I'm not very hopeful anyone claim this obviously homeless stray cat.
Screenshot 2022-11-16 at 9.41.04 AM.png

Last edited:

Deacon Blues

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick answer? Put out cat food on a table that other critters (skunks, opossums, raccons, dogs, coyotes, etc.) cannot climb or jump onto...Then, only the cat will get to eat it. Water, that has a heated bowl, or is replaced regularly, in the same place is essential. A shelter, such as a FeralCatVilla- at least 10 feet away from the food, will work, if the cat chooses to move in. They like straw...

Almost two years ago we had a feral who did not want to come inside...she refused... She was very independent, but loving...I usually got up once a night to check on her, especially in the winter..(Heated cat bed...) Then, one day, she was gone.

Accept that you will become attached,...accept that feral cats are on they own outside, when you are not present...they may disappear and not come back. They may die, or be killed, due to any number of hazards.

I become attached to them...so it is hard when we lose one.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
May I ask why? It doesn't have to be you directly involved if there's a TNR organization locally to you.

Anyway, you may find some useful information here in this recent thread :)
Ideas of taking care of strays
If someone else came and did it, that's fine by me, but I am just not in a place (physically, mentally, emotionally, financially) to take that on. I'm not against TNR - that's not what I meant - only that I just can't handle being the one to do it right now.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you able to get a setup going for the little orange dude? Did you try cracking the shed door?

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
If someone else came and did it, that's fine by me, but I am just not in a place (physically, mentally, emotionally, financially) to take that on. I'm not against TNR - that's not what I meant - only that I just can't handle being the one to do it right now.
~ Yes — very understandable. Look online or ask at the veterinarian office for cat rescue assistance. At some point many of us need help — better sooner than too late. :catrub: