Stray Cat And Kittens, Need Help With Care

ghost32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was outside one day with my 5 and 6 year old children when a stray pregnant cat came out of nowhere and hopped in my 5 year old's lap. She stayed for maybe 5 minutes and took off. About half an hour later she showed up again only she wasn't alone. She had a new born kitten in her mouth. She hopped in my 5 year old's lap again and proceeded to give birth to another while cleaning the one she brought to him. Needles to say as of Thursday the 12th the kittens will be 4 weeks old. She ended up having 4 on my back porch and refuses to leave which is fine by me lol. My concern is because of my lack of knowledge when it comes to a cat and her litter I unfortunately know nothing about the care or anything. The kittens opened their eyes at about a week old maybe a couple days later than a week. I have one I call Tiny because she looks so adorable and small but is trying to eat the mother's food and they are loaded with fleas and im not exactly sure when to bathe them or anything. My questions are as follows: Why did this stray cat hop into my son's lap and try to finish giving birth? I thought all cats were very private when it came to that kind of stuff. Is it ok to give the kitten wet food if it would rather eat it than suck on the mother? How do I get rid of the fleas or at least keep the fleas to a bare minimum cuz the mother does take them outside and brings them back in? As far as anything else you can tell me or share would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

love67742

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1: I don't know any explanations on why she got on your son's lap to give birth. I guess this could have been her first litter and she was a bit confused. She may have had experience with humans before and realized that they are nice. Have you ever seen her before, or was that the first time you saw her?
2: For Tiny, I'd try to give her some canned food. I suggest pate. Pate has no tiny bits in it, so it's easy for kittens to eat. I you do try to give the kitten food, stay with them as they eat. There's always a chance they might choke on the food.

Very cute kittens. Good luck :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ghost32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
1: I don't know any explanations on why she got on your son's lap to give birth. I guess this could have been her first litter and she was a bit confused. She may have had experience with humans before and realized that they are nice. Have you ever seen her before, or was that the first time you saw her?
2: For Tiny, I'd try to give her some canned food. I suggest pate. Pate has no tiny bits in it, so it's easy for kittens to eat. I you do try to give the kitten food, stay with them as they eat. There's always a chance they might choke on the food.

Very cute kittens. Good luck :)[/QU

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ghost32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your advice and I will try Tiny on the pate. As for the mother, no ive never seen her before but since she has given birth, as you can see from the pictures, all kittens tend to gather in my son's lap and play, sleep, and just sit. You wouldn't happen to know what kind of cats they are do you? Im an animal lover and will help any animal but im more of a dog lover so im not too sure what kind of cats they are.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are cats, mainly. Very few have any breed background. We call those kinds of cats domestic shorthairs (or longhairs, depending :D).

You'll want to have the mama cat spayed very soon or she'll present you with a new litter 2 or 3 times a year. And the female kittens can get pregnant as early as 4 months, so if you keep them you'll want to make arrangements to have them spayed soon. And male cats will spray if not neutered by about 8 months, so you have a little longer with them but you do want to get it done. Don't want to end up with 100 cats!

If you need help finding a low-cost spay/neuter place, let us know where you live and someone should be able to find one nearby.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They will all need dry kitten chow and wet food soon. And a bowl of fresh water.

You can put a tube of Advantage II on the back of each kitten’s and mom’s neck once a month to treat for fleas.

What is your city and state and I’ll look for a low cost spay and neuter clinic for you.

Mom and kittens are beautiful! :)

Starlion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What's beautiful angels you have!:angel: May I simply commend you for caring for these cats, in their most vulnerable moments. I too suggest getting her spayed.