strange things your cats eat...

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Penelopy does not do treats at ALL. But yesterday morning she tried to eat a freaking dust bunny. Granted, she'd not eaten all night (she was getting spayed yesterday).

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Penelopy does not do treats at ALL. But yesterday morning she tried to eat a freaking dust bunny. Granted, she'd not eaten all night (she was getting spayed yesterday).
That's funny and sad at the same time! My Wesley would eat any and all people food, especially potato chips, butter, bread and lettuce. He also liked to nibble on paperback book covers. He would pull one off the shelf and chomp at it and then pull another one down. I had this great collection of science fiction, most with ragged covers.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

you can sell your vacuum now.  Kidding aside how is she doing?

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Penelopy is doing well. Managed to get her pill into her via smushing it in some food. And yeah, it was kinda sad when I saw that. I felt so bad for her!

My Sara will eat pretty much anything as well. I don't think she eats non-edibles though. I remember Lucky used to sneak into my lap when I was eating. He had it down to a fine art - I never noticed till he was leaving with some of my food. The very last time he did it was the day he was diagnosed with renal failure. I was eating a taco salad, and he just took a piece of chicken and ran away with it. It was chicken THAT time though. Sometimes he'd take off with a piece of bread!

Last edited:

lonelocust

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pythagoras will aggressively try to eat anything that has dairy in it. I have to put him in the hall/bedroom if I'm baking anything with butter in it or he'll endlessly try to jump up and snag dough. It doesn't matter what else is in it. But he'll sniff any other food curiously and leave it alone. Gabriel doesn't eat anything odd at all. He doesn't like cheese as a treat either.

Both cats love to chew on things but are good about not swallowing non-food.

I (or rather my housemate at the time) did once have a completely omnivorous cat, Fafhrd. He loved all people food. He liked everything except onions (which I didn't know at the time was poisonous to cats, so I'm glad that he didn't like it as I probably would have accidentally fed him some), and you could give the scraps of a vegetarian sandwich and he'd carefully pick off the onions and eat the bread, lettuce, vegetables, etc. We didn't give him non-carnivorous food often, but he didn't seem particularly prone to regurgitation and didn't have stomach problems. I've definitely never seen another cat who thought a little bit of salad was a great treat.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hekitty will not touch anything other than kibbles, EXCEPT for raspberry sherbet.  God knows why.

buffysmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Cat Buffy eats blueberries
Every morning when I feed my hamster I pop a little piece of fruit or veg in her bowl my cat Buffy comes running a blueberry or a piece of mango or peas I do research for the fruits and vegetables that she's not allowed to have she eats Iams dry food and doesn't like wet cat food so I give her a sugar snap peas or blueberries or Apple and she doesn't like fish she is weird

mountianborn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Jum-Jum loves candy, especially chocolate. His fav is peppermint flavoured chocolate, he’s not supposed to eat it but does anyway, he’s been fine for 16 years. He also loves Bounty bars. Can’t count how many times we’ve found him with his mouth in the candybowl just munching away… :D      
Ivar-Wilhelm will eat just about anything. Bread and broccoli will disappear if I don't keep my eyes on it. 

who3rescued3who

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Osccar would literally eat anything as well! I coild make him a tossed salad, give him a dill pickle, orange, any vegtable, except cauliflower...lol. He ate bad things too! Like plastic milk rings, elastics, cardboard, paper, and especially anything FOAM!
HIS favorites were: green peppers, potatoes, watermelon, and corn (husked or not) lol
He actually passed away because of what he ate. We tried to keep everything picked up...but unfortunately, he manged to get into the porch one day and into my husbands bookbag that he uses for work. Osccar ate an yellow, foam earplug. When we realized he was sick we rushed him to the vet. I had a funny feeling he had eaten something and had a blockage. They operated on him, but unfortunately he died the next morning. We miss him dearly.

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Plastic. She looooooooves plastic...she will do anything to eat plastic. I really have to keep an eye on her.

Lucy will lick and chew on plastic bags. <snip>

My black cat, Lucy does exactly the same thing - she loves all things plastic, especially plastic shopping bags. 

A prior cat, Audrey, loved cantaloupe.  Once the fruit ripened, he would sit in front of the refrigerator and meow until someone gave him a piece.  It was very cute.

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our bengal Makena loves to eat grasshoppers. In late summer we take him out in our field and let him catch and eat his fill. Catching them is big fun; Makena makes some spectacular jumps to catch them on the wing. He usually fills up after 10 - 15 of them.

He will also snag bugs out of old tree stumps or from under rocks - half the time I am afraid to see what he fishs out. Makena is very selective, not eating centipedes or spiders but frequently eating crunchy beetles.

Though he generally avoids getting his paws wet, once in awhile he will wade into a creek and grab a minnow. Very funny to see him with his face all wet, chomping on a little fish.

eggsavior

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Marley is obsessed with traipsing around the kitchen counters and dining room table, but usually ignores food, unless there's an open tub of butter. When she joins me downstairs for breakfast I have to be careful eating cereal--if I stop paying attention, a little paw will try reaching into my bowl! 

Charlie, her brother, is less people friendly, but this Thanksgiving I offered him a piece of turkey and he gobbled it up. I'm glad he's not much of an adventurous eater--he eats too much cat food alone, as is.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope this isn't too disgusting for this group.

I was doing some first aid and I laid a piece of my skin I had to cut off on the bathroom counter.  I turned back later and, yep, little Fig was chewing it up!  And she wanted more!  I was always nervous around that cat. 

She was a great hunter, always bringing us gifts.  My girlfriend's niece could not pronounce "Fig," so she called her "Pig!"  After that incident, I called her "Pig" too. 

Last edited:

eggsavior

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I hope this isn't too disgusting for this group.

I was doing some first aid and I laid a piece of my skin I had to cut off on the bathroom counter.  I turned back later and, yep, little Fig was chewing it up!  And she wanted more!  I was always nervous around that cat. 

She was a great hunter, always bringing us gifts.  My girlfriend's niece could not pronounce "Fig," so she called her "Pig!"  After that incident, I called her "Pig" too. 

wow that is interesting! maybe love bites and licking is related to a deeper hunger and taste for human flesh...