Resolved Strange Site Login Request

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just now when I went to the guide for the new site, I got a login request from some kind of professional website. It didn't look right, so I just clicked on the background and it went away, but for a moment I almost gave my username and password to them, thinking it was TCS asking. Dangerous. Even more so if I were accustomed to logging in with my email rather than my username.

My first thought was that I had somehow clicked on an ad, but I don't see any ads on the site, so I've no idea how this happened. More importantly, perhaps, I've no idea how to replicate the problem.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
D

Deleted member 115554

Hi Margret Margret

Was it communityhired.com ? That is the test site Anne Anne was using to write the guides.
While copying the articles here, I guess she mistakenly copied a few images uploaded there.

If not, please share the guide link. I'll check it out.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I didn't have the sense to grab a screenshot, but the login link I encountered was much longer, went much farther across the middle of the screen.
This doesn't sound like what we had. I actually wonder if it could be malware on your computer. If you can let us know what you were trying to do on the site when it happened we'll check things on our end as well. Thanks!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was in your post in this forum about the Guide to the new site, and I clicked on "How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post." As soon as the page changed, the Login notice appeared. This hasn't happened to me before, or since, on any site. The only thing that comes close is the time I accidentally clicked on an email link that led to a website that wanted my email login information, and that was definitely a phishing site; this doesn't feel like that. For one thing, the bogus login box disappeared as soon as I clicked outside the box.

The one thing that made the login box halfway plausible is that earlier this morning TCS asked me to log in when I had thought that I was still logged in from last night, but that may have been a memory error on my part.

I did a scan on my computer for spyware yesterday, which found nothing wrong. I'm extremely careful about what I download from the internet; when installing new software I never accept offers of new search engines or additions to my taskbar.

For what it's worth, I'm running Firefox Portable, version 52.0.2 (64 bit) under Windows 7 Professional (i.e. 64 bit Win 7). My Firefox add-ons are:
Extensions:
  • DuckDuckGo Plus 1.1.1 (my preferred search engine)
  • Emoji Keyboard 2.0.5
  • Flash Video Downloader - YouTube HD Download [4K] 15.0.11
  • Ghostery 7.1.3.1
  • GNU_Terry_Pratchett 0.3.1-signed
  • Grammarly for Firefox 8.760.816
  • HTTPS Everywhere 5.2.14
  • New Tab Homepage 0.5.3
  • Open Link in New Tab 1.0.2016011401
  • Webutation 2.1.1-signed.1-signed
  • YouTube mp3 1.0.9.1-signed.1-signed
  • YouTube Video and Audio Downloader 0.5.
Plugins:
  • OpenH264 Video Codec provided by Cisco Systems, Inc. 1.6
  • Shockwave Flash 25.0.0.127
  • Widevine Content Decryption Module provided by Google Inc. 1.4.8.903
I doubt that this will be helpful, but I'm giving you everything I have that I think might help.

Grammarly and Ghostery will both occasionally suggest that I might want to create an account or log in to an existing account in order to gain more flexibility, but when that happens it's quite obvious where it came from. This was definitely something else.

Margret

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Thank you so much for all the additional info. I'll see what we can find on our end:hellocomputer:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was in your post in this forum about the Guide to the new site, and I clicked on "How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post." As soon as the page changed, the Login notice appeared. ...

The one thing that made the login box halfway plausible is that earlier this morning TCS asked me to log in when I had thought that I was still logged in from last night, but that may have been a memory error on my part.

Margret
I think maybe the session Cookies expire at some set point? On the old site, one could stay logged in until one purposely chose to log out.

I discovered that, with the new site, if I need to be away from my desktop and I put my screen to sleep mode, I have to log into TCS once again when I come back because (I assume) the session cookie(s) expired.

What do you think, Anne Anne ? Could that be it?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if it helps figure anything out, but I also want to note that if I clear my History cache while I am logged in, I have to log in again afterwards.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay; that's probably it. The name does sound right -- obviously some kind of business site, but obscure about what business. :lol:

It hasn't happened again, but I've only been online for the last hour or so.

Margret

HellaSteph

Unicorn Seeker
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay; that's probably it. The name does sound right -- obviously some kind of business site, but obscure about what business. :lol:

It hasn't happened again, but I've only been online for the last hour or so.

Margret
Sorry about that scare, Margret! It's my company that works with TCS. Even if you entered any credentials, my system wouldn't accept it as valid and I do not see anything. I hope this was explanation enough. CommunityHired is the support company of TCS. :thumbsup: