Strange Scabs On 10 Day Old Kitten

pickledfairy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am currently fostering a momma cat and her 10-day old kittens. One of the kittens has developed little brown scabs on both corners of his mouth. I have been putting warm, damp compresses on them. One has come completely off but the other is still there and not really softening. He is a little sneezy but no nasal discharge, he is eating and gaining weight well. Since it is happening bilaterally, I don't think it is from struggling with a sibling at the milk bar, but I guess it could be. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what it could possibly be. I have attached a picture.

Thanks!

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I'm sorry you haven't gotten a reply - do you have a vet you could send that picture to? Sarthur2 Sarthur2 do you have a moment to give your thoughts, when you're available? @orange&white can you provide an idea for the OP?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like the kitten may be getting an upper respiratory infection (URI). A round of antibiotics is in order.

As for the sores, that sounds like a bacterial infection from milk getting in his pores - a form of dermatitis. The antibiotics should help that too.

In the meantime, begin cleaning around his mouth daily with a warm, damp cloth.

Hopefully you’ll hear back from the vet soon!